Allovertheworld

College Degree in Philippines - Is it worth the expense and time?

18 posts in this topic

Just wondering why do so many have college degree and so many never work or use them

Example: 

My wife family: 4 girls all have college degrees, none really use them.

My wife: Bachelor of Sceince in Nursing, she was a RN in Philippines and now in the USA she works from home and does some type of date entry

Her next sister has Bachelor of Science in Nursing, she went to Singapore for a couple of years and worked as a dispatch for a taxi company, now she back home and sells cookies she bakes

Her next next sister has a bachelor degree in computer science, she has a small soamia stand as her business, nothing computer related

Her youngest sister has some bachelor degree and works in Manila doing sales, I suspect she makes average dough since she lives with like 3 other people in a one bedroom apartment.

I told my wife since never wanted to be a nurse, why in the world did you go to college and have you parents pay for you and your sisters education.  Wouldn't it been better to let the father keep the money and invest in some type of business or save the money for other things, like house improvements, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I don't know the answer, but I can say that obtaining a Nursing degree, in itself, is quite an achievement and is valuable.  I spent 20 years in the US Air Force as a missile technician and as an ICBM launch crew member (on active alert).  Nothing during those 20+ years in the USAF was as tough as earning my degree in Nursing (RN) afterwards.  In addition, a person with a degree in Nursing can always find a job in most parts of the world (upon qualifying). I guarantee you the sister with the Nursing degree has used the knowledge she gained from her education whether she worked as a Nurse or not. 

-Retired USAF Missileer

- Retired RN (as a civilian)

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Allovertheworld said:

I told my wife since never wanted to be a nurse, why in the world did you go to college and have you parents pay for you and your sisters education.  Wouldn't it been better to let the father keep the money and invest in some type of business or save the money for other things, like house improvements, etc.

Most parents would invest their money on their child's future and success.

Many jobs require a college degree.  Some require specific disciplines, others just that a person has one of any type.  A college education, regardless of degree, offers more choices in life. 

A person can choose to pursue their degree after college, or go in a different direction.  Having the degree offers them the choice.

In Asian cultures, especially, it is typically the parents that push their children to go to college.  In some places it is considered shameful for the children to not go to college if the family had the means to send them.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I can’t speak for the Philippines but in my husbands country, Haiti, all of his dads income basically goes to his children’s education so they can have a better life- he didn’t have an education other than a couple of years of grade school. Two now have college degrees- accounting and nursing- which in the US they would be able to get a job right out of graduation. However, there are no jobs in Haiti and you have to know someone high up (or bribe) to get a job. The hope is that if one day there are jobs ; that life won’t always be like this; they will then be able to use their education. I think we have to think of all of the factors in ones country why someone would further their education and what it means after they have graduated.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you talking about anyone for Filipinos? It seems that in the US, a majority of people obtain a degree because they think they can get a job easier than those who haven't had any post high school education. 

I had a lot of friends get what I would call a useless degree. History, English, Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice.... And many more. 

Most of these require a Graduate degree to be of any value and you generally end up being a Teacher or Professor. I don't think many of my friends use their degrees in their current positions. 

I ended up with a Computer Science degree. I've spent the past 15 years working in IT. A majority of it being with the US Department of Defense. I hold a DoD Top Secret clearance and make very good money. 

My Filipina fiancée put herself through school while being a single mother to two kids. She did not have a ton of money, and couldn't afford to get the degree she wanted. She ended up with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Finance.  When we get here over to the States, she wants to go back to school and get an education in the Medical field. 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Clear Complexion and nice smile as well

And be at least 5' 3" tall

3 hours ago, boris64 said:

...and be under 27. Reply with photo only. What a mess.

With no tattoos. 

5 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Are you talking about anyone for Filipinos? It seems that in the US, a majority of people obtain a degree because they think they can get a job easier than those who haven't had any post high school education. 

I had a lot of friends get what I would call a useless degree. History, English, Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice.... And many more. 

Most of these require a Graduate degree to be of any value and you generally end up being a Teacher or Professor. I don't think many of my friends use their degrees in their current positions. 

I ended up with a Computer Science degree. I've spent the past 15 years working in IT. A majority of it being with the US Department of Defense. I hold a DoD Top Secret clearance and make very good money. 

My Filipina fiancée put herself through school while being a single mother to two kids. She did not have a ton of money, and couldn't afford to get the degree she wanted. She ended up with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Finance.  When we get here over to the States, she wants to go back to school and get an education in the Medical field. 

I have seen many people get degrees in the Philippines with useless majors like hospitality management. My niece has a hospitality degree and can't do anything with it

3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I have seen many people get degrees in the Philippines with useless majors like hospitality management. My niece has a hospitality degree and can't do anything with it

When my SIL was getting ready to go to college she was looking at hospitality management. I told her that would be a worthless degree there. She went into IT. I told her to also study graphic design because she should learn a skill that is marketable globally that she could do from the Philippines.

3 hours ago, RO_AH said:

When my SIL was getting ready to go to college she was looking at hospitality management. I told her that would be a worthless degree there. She went into IT. I told her to also study graphic design because she should learn a skill that is marketable globally that she could do from the Philippines.

True IT is a good path to learn.

Funny story I was going to hire a full time IT person to do my SEO for my business.  Now this was back in 2010 so I went to a manpower agency / Labor force agency in Davao City and talked to a recruiter and told them to get me some canidates to interview for SEO for my company/webiste.

They lined up a few for the first interview, we started chatting and nobody had any SEO experience, the agency kept bringing me people with like customer service backgrounds.   We a few rounds of interviews and they kept bringing in the wrong people for the job, the recuriter couldn't understand what SEO was.     We would keep telling the recruiting company they were bringing in the wrong people for the job, after about 3 rounds of interviews we had to give up with them finding someone.   Now this was 10 years ago, When SEO was still pretty newish term.

20 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

In addition, a person with a degree in Nursing can always find a job in most parts of the world (upon qualifying). 

You are gonna to love this one

If you are a US Citizen you are not even allowed to sit for the Nursing Board Exam in the Philippines, even if you go to school there,  So a US Born Citizen can't be a RN in Philippines nor a lawyer, etc

But it is perfectly fine for a person from Philippines to never go to a US school, but as long as they pass the NCLEX they can be and work as a RN in the USA.

Sure doesn't seem fair

21 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

In Asian cultures, especially, it is typically the parents that push their children to go to college.  In some places it is considered shameful for the children to not go to college if the family had the means to send them.  

The USA was importing nurses right and left from the Philippines for at least 20 years, this was their meal ticket out of the Philippines and onto making USA money.   They stopped importing nurses back in 2007 due to retrogression

My wife said she had no desire to be a nurse, she was kinda forced into by her parents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.