Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Ptitchou said:

It's honestly a bit ridiculous. My bigger concern now is will we have to have a negative test just to be able to re-enter Canada if we're only going to the border to activate the visa? And then also pay to take the test at the border and then again 10 days later... I understand why these rules were put in place but it's ridiculous that no one's considered the edge cases of various situations and circumstances. And how long will this be in place for? The rest of the year? 

Anyway... I got my purolator notice of shipment on Friday. Estimated delivery should be today but I don't see that it's moved outside of Quebec yet. Fingers crossed I get it soon. I feel naked without my passport! 

I think the problem is that it's such an edge case that they've not considered it.  Clearly going to the border to activate a visa and encounter 2-3 masked people isn't putting the nation at risk any more than picking up some takeaway.  I wonder who we can even contact to talk about this?

GOOD LUCK with Purolator.  They are the dirt worst.  They attempted delivery of my passport yesterday, then told me this morning (over 24 hours later) that they for some reason needed my building buzzer number, something that NO delivery has required in 3 years of dozens on dozens of deliveries.  I told them that I'd just pick up the package from the depot where it's at to save time, and they said it will be ready for pickup in A COUPLE OF BUSINESS DAYS.  I'm a combination of apoplectic and ready to burst into tears and trying to solve the situation through escalations and the Purolator social media people.  I've already got everything scheduled for my move for Thursday, stepson has plans for when I drive up, etc., and didn't think it was too optimistic to schedule things for 2 days after the tracking delivery date but here we are.  Is it too much to ask that *any* of this process goes smoothly for me?  😛  Day 906, still hoping for day 908 to be the end.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, legendqueue said:

I wonder who we can even contact to talk about this?

GOOD LUCK with Purolator.  They are the dirt worst.  They attempted delivery of my passport yesterday, then told me this morning (over 24 hours later) that they for some reason needed my building buzzer number, something that NO delivery has required in 3 years of dozens on dozens of deliveries. 

I have tried contacting local MPs, reps for Canada Health, Travel, Border Services - no one replies. Nothing. 

Purolator pulled that bs with me before. I even included my buzzer code with the address. They're a disaster. :( 

Edit: Just spoke with a chat rep and they said the buzz code never got included on the waybill (AGAIN). Yeesh. She's also super unhelpful. 

Edited by Ptitchou

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ptitchou said:

It's honestly a bit ridiculous. My bigger concern now is will we have to have a negative test just to be able to re-enter Canada if we're only going to the border to activate the visa? And then also pay to take the test at the border and then again 10 days later... I understand why these rules were put in place but it's ridiculous that no one's considered the edge cases of various situations and circumstances. And how long will this be in place for? The rest of the year? 

Anyway... I got my purolator notice of shipment on Friday. Estimated delivery should be today but I don't see that it's moved outside of Quebec yet. Fingers crossed I get it soon. I feel naked without my passport! 

I still have not received my Purolator Notice and my Interview was on Wednesday, Feb 10. Basically a week ago.  When my buddy did his interview on Wednesday Jan 27, he got his notification on Friday the 29th, and the passport came in on Monday, Feb 1. So I am a bit concerned. I was hoping to travel to the states this week itself. But here I am still waiting and we also have to factor in the COVID test which may take up to 3 days to get.

Timeline
2 hours ago, jackanddeona said:

That is not true. There are exemptions, just none based on family reunification. As an example someone driving across the border to pick up and then leave with their child to satisfy a custody arrangement is considered essential and is exempt from all quarantine rules.

Didn't think anyone was exempt from quarantine coming back into Canada. Doesn't seem fair to others returning. We were only at US customs for 30 min. and was told we had a mandatory quarantine.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Ptitchou said:

I have tried contacting local MPs, reps for Canada Health, Travel, Border Services - no one replies. Nothing. 

Purolator pulled that bs with me before. I even included my buzzer code with the address. They're a disaster. :( 

Edit: Just spoke with a chat rep and they said the buzz code never got included on the waybill (AGAIN). Yeesh. She's also super unhelpful. 

Purolator is the worst. I have been home all day (a home not an apartment) and was given notice of failure to deliver. I don't think I have ever received a package directly from a driver in 16 years.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ptitchou said:

When we drove to the border last week to activate the visa we didn't need to show a negative test to come back into Canada just the ArriveCAN app on our phone, and we now have to quarantine. We were told if we had done this on or after Feb 22 we would have to show a negative test taken 72 hrs before to get into Canada...even if we were only at US customs for 30 min. You would think some consideration would be given.

Everyone there was at a counter behind glass and we were no where near anyone but just the fact that we were on the US side is all that matters. 

If you can get to the border to activate before new rules on Monday I would do it and avoid all the hassle.

Timeline

I'm happy I was able to spark this Purolator bashing subtopic because it's making me feel way better!

I hope you guys have no problems with them.  I like to think that the ridiculous delays and obstacles that I've run into through this whole process have meant that, statistically, a ton of other people have had smooth and easy visa processes!  Happy to help!  :D   Yes I know statistics don't work that way haha

Timeline
16 minutes ago, mizzem said:

Didn't think anyone was exempt from quarantine coming back into Canada. Doesn't seem fair to others returning. We were only at US customs for 30 min. and was told we had a mandatory quarantine.

There are essential exemptions (truck drivers, health care workers, people who need to commute daily to work etc.). It has been this way since they "closed" the border. The border is only restricted to non essential travel and the resulting quarantine's/testing is directed at the non essential people. I have always felt family reunification should be considered essential but that is not in my control. The quarantine exemptions are fairly rare and there aren't many that are not profession based but the custody arrangement is one of them. That exemption is only allowed if you are just doing a round trip to grab your child. The reason I brought that up is some people here (myself included) may be looking at the situation thinking they can't see their kids without spending thousands of dollars and taking weeks off work but there is a legal exemption to being able to ferry your kids across the border without having to quarantine.

Edited by jackanddeona

Timeline
31 minutes ago, legendqueue said:

I think the problem is that it's such an edge case that they've not considered it.  Clearly going to the border to activate a visa and encounter 2-3 masked people isn't putting the nation at risk any more than picking up some takeaway.  I wonder who we can even contact to talk about this?

GOOD LUCK with Purolator.  They are the dirt worst.  They attempted delivery of my passport yesterday, then told me this morning (over 24 hours later) that they for some reason needed my building buzzer number, something that NO delivery has required in 3 years of dozens on dozens of deliveries.  I told them that I'd just pick up the package from the depot where it's at to save time, and they said it will be ready for pickup in A COUPLE OF BUSINESS DAYS.  I'm a combination of apoplectic and ready to burst into tears and trying to solve the situation through escalations and the Purolator social media people.  I've already got everything scheduled for my move for Thursday, stepson has plans for when I drive up, etc., and didn't think it was too optimistic to schedule things for 2 days after the tracking delivery date but here we are.  Is it too much to ask that *any* of this process goes smoothly for me?  😛  Day 906, still hoping for day 908 to be the end.

Strange thing is, when we got to US customs they buzzed us in and we went to a long counter where everyone is behind glass from the counter to the ceiling, and we were the only two in there then we left.  Not once did we come anywhere near a person and no risk whatsoever. So yes I agree, we have closer encounters picking up food for take out than this.

Hope everything works out well for you..Soo much stress during this process..

Timeline
Just now, jackanddeona said:

interview letter: Jan. 18

medical: Jan. 26

interview: Feb. 12

visa status changed to issued (in ap): Feb. 12

visa status changed to issued (final processing): Feb. 16

Just waiting for tracking number. Says I should receive in 5 business days. excited!

Yesssss we're so close you guys :)

Timeline
8 minutes ago, mizzem said:

When we drove to the border last week to activate the visa we didn't need to show a negative test to come back into Canada just the ArriveCAN app on our phone, and we now have to quarantine. We were told if we had done this on or after Feb 22 we would have to show a negative test taken 72 hrs before to get into Canada...even if we were only at US customs for 30 min. You would think some consideration would be given.

Everyone there was at a counter behind glass and we were no where near anyone but just the fact that we were on the US side is all that matters. 

If you can get to the border to activate before new rules on Monday I would do it and avoid all the hassle.

Yeah, sadly I don't even have my passport in hand yet but I'm also waiting until summer to move because I have a lot of medical and financial things I need to settle here first. I originally planned on activating at the border in the summer and then coming back here to wrap up a few more things and not actually move until the fall, but with all these crazy rules in place, it might just be more hassle than it's worth. As it is, my husband will have to go through the process of tests, etc and quarantine for two weeks just to be able to help me move. 

Again, I get why measures are in place, but it's just really adding to the stress of juggling all the logistics of moving countries. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, fxch3 said:

Hi everyone, 

quick question - did you guys bring pictures of your spouse and yourself to the interview? Debating if I should. 

I did, and us with my stepson.  Never asked for them but they gave me something to look at while I waited which was nice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.