David & Olga

US Embassy in Moscow - Still Closed

333 posts in this topic

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Totino said:

Sorry but it is NOT so. It is the Russian government that asked the ambassador Sallivan to leave, and forbid the USA embassy in Moscow to hire Russian people. Which simply led to shortage of staff for interviews. There are 200 people left at the embassy instead of 1200 in 2015. It is not the American government that doesn’t want to issue immigrant visas, it is Russian government that expelled 75% of American diplomats from Moscow . 
https://www.google.ru/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/us-embassy-in-moscow-cuts-staff-and-visa-services/a-57385581

so the lawsuit is simply a waste of money... USA is not responsible for unfriendly actions of third countries ...

You can believe what you'd like. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Totino said:

I’m sorry to put put my word in, but you have no chance in mass lawsuit against who? It’s not the problem of American embassy , it is Russian government that expelled American ambassador and cut 75% of American embasssy staff. Who are you goi g to sue ? For what ? What is the requirement to the embassy you want to pose?  It is not that American embassy doesn’t want to interview , it is that Russian government expelled diplomats from Russia and there are simply 200 people at the embassy left. 

Yeah; I was very surprised that the initial K-1 lawsuits had any success, but the grounds that worked for EU countries won't fly for Russia, where completely different (and non-pandemic-related) factors are in play.

At this point we think the next time we see my wife's family in person it's probably going to be in a third country in 2022. If we can find somewhere we'd actually like to go to that's letting Americans and Russians in.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Yeah; I was very surprised that the initial K-1 lawsuits had any success, but the grounds that worked for EU countries won't fly for Russia, where completely different (and non-pandemic-related) factors are in play.

At this point we think the next time we see my wife's family in person it's probably going to be in a third country in 2022. If we can find somewhere we'd actually like to go to that's letting Americans and Russians in.

Turkey? Armenia?

13 hours ago, Totino said:

I’m waiting to talk to my fiancé later today after that news and I don’t know what to do next .. I mean, there is no chance that political situation will change in Russia for at least 5-10 years, maybe longer. What we are going to do? K1 visas are not transferred to other countries . So we have no chance ?  Can you wait 10 years ?? 

I am in a similar situation as you.  This whole thing is untenable... I have a child with my fiancee and I haven't seen them in almost a year and a half.  My daughter is growing up and I am missing it... first it was COVID, now the deterioration of US-Russia relations.

I don't know how long this situation will last and I don't even know what options I have.  What are you thinking in terms of options?  My partner is open to moving to another country but I don't know where Russians can move to and quickly/immediately be citizens.

Timeline

F@#$!!!
This is terrible news to hear 😩😩
First the pandemic and now this?! Thank God I was able to see my fiancee in Turkey recently.
Damn, I don't even have words...

Maybe we can get married in Mexico? I guess the best option is to cancel the K-1 and instead get married somewhere else, right? My head is spinning. We have been waiting so long just to hear this awful news! I've been on this forum for almost 2 years now and still in the same place. The only comforting thing is that I am not alone in this. We are so many people that are stuck together. 😫
Does the embassy not care about separating families/couples?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Giodude said:

F@#$!!!
This is terrible news to hear 😩😩
First the pandemic and now this?! Thank God I was able to see my fiancee in Turkey recently.
Damn, I don't even have words...

Maybe we can get married in Mexico? I guess the best option is to cancel the K-1 and instead get married somewhere else, right? My head is spinning. We have been waiting so long just to hear this awful news! I've been on this forum for almost 2 years now and still in the same place. The only comforting thing is that I am not alone in this. We are so many people that are stuck together. 😫
Does the embassy not care about separating families/couples?

Just heartbreaking. If you do decide to get married in Mexico, I can offer some advice. We just did that in February and was pretty easy. Hardest thing now will be finding a flight there since flights through Istanbul are so limited 

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

2 hours ago, Corp668 said:

I am in a similar situation as you.  This whole thing is untenable... I have a child with my fiancee and I haven't seen them in almost a year and a half.  My daughter is growing up and I am missing it... first it was COVID, now the deterioration of US-Russia relations.

I don't know how long this situation will last and I don't even know what options I have.  What are you thinking in terms of options?  My partner is open to moving to another country but I don't know where Russians can move to and quickly/immediately be citizens.

What we are thinking to do now is to ask several embassies outside of Russia to let our K visa interview happen on their territory, since the situation in Moscow is extraordinary. If all of them refuse, there will be one way : get married in Mexico and start the process again but with a spouse visa, which again will require a year. 

1 hour ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

Just heartbreaking. If you do decide to get married in Mexico, I can offer some advice. We just did that in February and was pretty easy. Hardest thing now will be finding a flight there since flights through Istanbul are so limited 

Could you please offer some advice as to how to get marry in Mexico ? We are an American national and a Russian national. We would really appreciate to know your experience

Timeline
1 hour ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

Hey, thanks for your offer! I am definitely leaning to go this route. I would appreciate more detail please. I don't think our K-1 visa will advance anytime soon. So maybe, this might be the only way. I need to see progress. 🥴

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Totino said:

Could you please offer some advice as to how to get marry in Mexico ? We are an American national and a Russian national. We would really appreciate to know your experience

@Strawberrymermaid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Totino said:

offer some advice as to how to get marry in Mexico

Maybe she can start a new thread in this forum -- Mermaid, you're welcome to copy & paste insights that you may have posted in earlier threads.

To all:  the situation is horrible, but where there's a will, there's a way.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

OK, so this bites, and everybody is emotional. And for a good reason—some have been waiting and suffering for a long time. But it was hard to complain since closed embassies had an excuse—Covid. Now, if one (Moscow) embassy is completely closed to visa processing, the State Dept. should live up to their own recent declarations about prioritizing K-1s by transferring them to open embassies. I have tried talking to the State Dept. in DC. I don’t have the leverage. Who does? The press. Any government agency is afraid of the bad press. So, anybody who has been waiting for a year may want to think about contacting their local TV news. This story has everything that local news love to feature: love, covid, suffering, uncaring bureaucrats. Once the word gets out, the State dept will be forced to act. We have all seen government agencies act very quickly once such criticism goes public. Contacting lawyers and senators may be useful too, but slower. In any case, there are plenty of useful tools. No time for despair.

21 hours ago, Totino said:

Sorry but it is NOT so. It is the Russian government that asked the ambassador Sallivan to leave, and forbid the USA embassy in Moscow to hire Russian people. Which simply led to shortage of staff for interviews. There are 200 people left at the embassy instead of 1200 in 2015. It is not the American government that doesn’t want to issue immigrant visas, it is Russian government that expelled 75% of American diplomats from Moscow . 
https://www.google.ru/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/us-embassy-in-moscow-cuts-staff-and-visa-services/a-57385581

so the lawsuit is simply a waste of money... USA is not responsible for unfriendly actions of third countries ...

It is a little more complicated. All these actions started at the end of 2016 due to alleged "Russian interference" in the election after Trump won and the subsequent expulsion of Russian diplomats, closing Russian government owned compounds, and closings of the San Fran consulate. I can't remember the play by play, but it was a back and forth escalation. In the last few weeks the US State Department decided to only allow Russian diplomats to stay in the US as long as US diplomats are usually stationed in other countries at 3 years. (So Russia would have to follow US policy on diplomat deployment in foreign countries.) Russia answered back that since the Foreign Ministry doesn't employ locals in their embassies, the US can't employ locals in the diplomatic posts in Russia. (So the US would have to follow Russian policy on local hiring for embassy support staff.) Classic #######-for-tat leaving normal folks in the lurch.

Btw. the US diplomatic staff quota in Russia currently stands at 455, but there are only 280 accredited employees, so there is room to replace the departing Russian national local staff to get the ball rolling again on various mission objectives like immigrant/non-immigrant visas.

K-1 Journey

02-19-2010: Engaged :-)

02-27-2010: I-129F Sent to CSC via Fedex

03-02-2010: I-129F NOA1, TOUCHED on USCIS website, check cashed

03-24-2010: Received NOA1 Hardcopy (mailed on 03-04-2010, mix-up in the mail)

04-15-2010: TOUCHED on USCIS website, NOA2 (45 days)

04-21-2010: Received NOA2 Hardcopy (44 days since NOA1)

04-22-2010: I-129F received at NVC

04-26-2010: I-129F mailed to the US Embassy in Moscow

04-28-2010: I-129F received at the US Embassy in Moscow

05-24-2010: Packet 3,4 Received

07-20-2010: Interview Date - Approved!

07-23-2010: Visa Received

09-03-2010: US Entry

10-10-2010: Married :-)

AOS Journey

11-30-2010: AOS Forms Sent via Fedex

12-01-2010: Received at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

12-10-2010: NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

12-13-2010: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

12-18-2010: TOUCHED on USCIS website

01-04-2011: Received Biometric appt. for 02-01-2011

01-05-2011: Notified of RFE

01-15-2011: Sent RFE back

01-24-2011: Touched on USCIS website, RFE received

02-01-2011: Biometrics taken

02-08-2011: TOUCHED on USCIS website, transfer to CSC

02-10-2011: TOUCHED on USCIS website, I-765 EAD Approved, I-131 Advance Parole Approved

02-15-2011: TOUCHED on USCIS website, I-485 arrived at CSC, EAD production

02-16-2011: TOUCHED on USCIS website, I-765 EAD mailed, I-131 AP document arrived in the mail

02-19-2011: EAD document arrived in the mail

04-21-2011: TOUCHED on USCIS website, I-485 approved at CSC, Greencard production ordered

04-27-2011: Greencard arrived in the mail

01-20-2013: 90 day Removal of Conditions window starts

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.