Andy&Kitty

Is biometrics fee required for B2 visa extension?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi, I am getting some conflicting information on the biometrics fee requirement  - page 17 of the I-539 Instructions (10/15/19 version) says an additional biometrics services fee of $85 is required when filing this Form I-539 for V nonimmigrant or for certain
applicants in the CNMI applying for a grant of nonimmigrant status.  So it sounds like it is not required anymore for B2 extension.  However, when I used USCIS online fee calculator, it says the fee is still required.  Can anyone shed some lights on this?  Thanks so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
14 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

Is this for your in-laws?

Would not be relevant to them, must be somebody else.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Would not be relevant to them, must be somebody else.

I know, but my guess is that they think they could get another extension.

Timeline

Yes, it is for my in-laws.  They plan to leave the country before 180 days to avoid the 3-year bar, but want to try another extension.  I know a second approval is rare, but it doesn't hurt to try.  They have notes from the doctor to prove they were not suitable to fly due to health issues earlier.  Of course they will not stay here and wait for the decision this time.  For the fees, I guess I will go with what the website says.  Even the form says check with the website for correct fees.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

I know, but my guess is that they think they could get another extension.

Well the replies to the previous thread could not have been clearer, perhaps OP can clarify?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP, they are not here legally.   I don’t believe they are eligible for an additional extension with their current illegal status.

They need to go home to China and reapply for B visas if they want to come back.

5 minutes ago, Andy&Kitty said:

Yes, it is for my in-laws.  They plan to leave the country before 180 days to avoid the 3-year bar, but want to try another extension.  I know a second approval is rare, but it doesn't hurt to try.  They have notes from the doctor to prove they were not suitable to fly due to health issues earlier.  Of course they will not stay here and wait for the decision this time.  For the fees, I guess I will go with what the website says.  Even the form says check with the website for correct fees.

Save your time and money, and do things the right way.

Don't you worry that such a doctor’s not could backfire when and if they want to come back?  If they were unfit to fly, how will they be fit to fly back next time?

16 minutes ago, Andy&Kitty said:

You can’t extend status if you have no status to extend. They are currently in overstay, which means they are out of status and ineligible to file i539.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires.

Source

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Andy&Kitty said:

It seems strange from your previous thread, you stated you did not know that only a 6 month extension could be granted, about availability of flights, and cost of tickets.  And now you are saying they couldn't fly due to health issues?  

Timeline

I understand they should have applied before the new expiration date (8/29), but the I-539 instruction also says failure to file before the expiration date may be excused if you demonstrate the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control.  The thing is, how can you apply for a second extension before you even receive the decision on your first?  So there is no way we could have filed before 8/29.

Timeline

Assuming they applied for an extra 6 months the first time they would have already maxed out so moot.

I can see that you could say apply for an extra 3 months then realise you need another month so apply twice..

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.