Andy&Kitty

Is biometrics fee required for B2 visa extension?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Usually, an extension will be given for the duration you ask and give justification for. However, the maximum duration for an extension you can ask for is 6 months. Also, you cannot apply for a visitor visa extension as many times as you want. The maximum you can stay on a B1/B2 visa is 1 year.

13 minutes ago, Andy&Kitty said:

I understand they should have applied before the new expiration date (8/29), but the I-539 instruction also says failure to file before the expiration date may be excused if you demonstrate the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control.  The thing is, how can you apply for a second extension before you even receive the decision on your first?  So there is no way we could have filed before 8/29.

You’re really trying to quibble here... you should have done the research to know that 6 months was the maximum extension, and filed any further extension before that date. You can hardly argue the delay in filing was due to extraordinary circumstances given everything you’ve said. This argument is also different to that of your previous thread. 
Anyway..if you want to help pad USCIS coffers and file anyway, seems like they could do with all they help they can get, but you must know you’re going to get a denial.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Andy&Kitty said:

Yes, it is for my in-laws.  They plan to leave the country before 180 days to avoid the 3-year bar, but want to try another extension.  I know a second approval is rare, but it doesn't hurt to try.  They have notes from the doctor to prove they were not suitable to fly due to health issues earlier.  Of course they will not stay here and wait for the decision this time.  For the fees, I guess I will go with what the website says.  Even the form says check with the website for correct fees.

If they were not eligible to fly 7 months, and assuming you would use the same excuse for another extension(which they won't get), you are going to have them fly home and then say they aren't aren't suitable to fly now? Ummmmmmmm.....you are really grasping at straws here. I'm wondering why they haven't left the country yet, considering at this very moment they are in overstay. Are you going to wait until day 179 to send them on their way? 

And others wonder why they have such a difficult time obtaining visitor visas to our country. This is a perfect example.

6 hours ago, belinda63 said:

If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires.

Source

They did that, and it was approved.  They stayed past the six month approval date.

13 minutes ago, Cathi said:

If they were not eligible to fly 7 months, and assuming you would use the same excuse for another extension(which they won't get), you are going to have them fly home and then say they aren't aren't suitable to fly now? Ummmmmmmm.....you are really grasping at straws here. I'm wondering why they haven't left the country yet, considering at this very moment they are in overstay. Are you going to wait until day 179 to send them on their way? 

And others wonder why they have such a difficult time obtaining visitor visas to our country. This is a perfect example.

It really does a disservice to those from their country that really do just want to visit for a normal vacation duration.  OP's situation will become part of the statistics that inform consular policy for B applicants....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.