H & T

How bad is ROC?

40 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, mindthegap said:

If you have that option available to you I would strongly suggest you take advantage of it.

I agree, I was praying for them to take another 6 weeks for my adjustment of status interview...... missed the 2 year mark by 45 days

Thank you for the additional responses, VJ community! Your stories about the difficulties associated with the delay in ROC processing (rather than the difficulty of the process in and of itself) are making me lean the other way of waiting a bit despite the uncertainty of the pandemic. 

For whatever it's worth, I'll update this post when I arrive to the US, whenever that will be, in case other people in the future will find this topic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, H & T said:

Thank you for the additional responses, VJ community! Your stories about the difficulties associated with the delay in ROC processing (rather than the difficulty of the process in and of itself) are making me lean the other way of waiting a bit despite the uncertainty of the pandemic. 

For whatever it's worth, I'll update this post when I arrive to the US, whenever that will be, in case other people in the future will find this topic.

Good luck to you and stay safe!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

For what it’s worth, I know a women who’s husband received his visa before their 2nd anniversary. He waited to traveled until after the anniversary and he still received a CR1. They called USCIS and were told the greencard was based on when the visa was issued not when he arrived in the US. Not sure if that was a one time thing, a mistake or what, but just wanted to let you know. They delayed begging together and still have to deal with ROC. 

As for ROC, it really wasn’t that bad. I just continued to collect evidence as we went...bank statements, credit cards, insurance, taxes, photos, etc. We found out we’d have an interview since my husband arrived on a CR1. My husband became eligible for citizenship before that interview, so we filed the N400. Our combo interview was delayed a bit because of COVID...moved from April to July. He’s now a citizen and we’re done with all things immigration. All the evidence we submitted was normal life things so nothing too hard to get. The interview was really like a conversation as few questions and that’s it. 

Edited by O&GForever

11 minutes ago, O&GForever said:

For what it’s worth, I know a women who’s husband received his visa before their 2nd anniversary. He waited to traveled until after the anniversary and he still received a CR1. They called USCIS and were told the greencard was based on when the visa was issued not when he arrived in the US. Not sure if that was a one time thing, a mistake or what, but just wanted to let you know.

They have to file a I-90 and check (D) as the reason for submitting (My existing card has incorrect data because of Department of Homeland Security error). That filing reason is free to file.

Edited by HRQX

25 minutes ago, O&GForever said:

They called USCIS and were told

It's common to get misinformation when calling USCIS.

8 C.F.R. § 235.11(b) is very clear: "Correction of endorsement on immigrant visa. If the alien is subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the classification endorsed on the immigrant visa does not so indicate, the endorsement shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident on a conditional basis, if otherwise admissible. Conversely, if the alien is not subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the visa classification endorsed on the immigrant visa indicates that the alien is subject thereto (e.g., if the second anniversary of the marriage upon which the immigrant visa is based occurred after the issuance of the visa and prior to the alien's application for admission) the endorsement on the visa shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident without conditions, if otherwise admissible."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/2/2020 at 5:41 AM, user555 said:

I think it's $400 extra if you enter before 2 yrs of marriage and go through ROC vs getting the 10 yr. You'll basically have to gather evidence again like you did at the interview. I wouldn't want to do that again, so we're entering after 2 yrs of marriage. 

Fee is $595 fee+$85 biometrics=$680.

Not an hassle just a form evidence of your life together. 

Why wait what if a second wave of COVID happens and the world shuts down again.

ROC doesnt have to be file until 21 to 24 months after you arrive. It's no big deal. 

We just finished up this got 10 year and citizenship all this summer.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

2 hours ago, O&GForever said:

For what it’s worth, I know a women who’s husband received his visa before their 2nd anniversary. He waited to traveled until after the anniversary and he still received a CR1. They called USCIS and were told the greencard was based on when the visa was issued not when he arrived in the US. Not sure if that was a one time thing, a mistake or what, but just wanted to let you know. They delayed begging together and still have to deal with ROC. 

USCIS made an error in this case. They should have just fixed that, no need to go through ROC

1 hour ago, dwheels76 said:

Fee is $595 fee+$85 biometrics=$680.

Not an hassle just a form evidence of your life together. 

Why wait what if a second wave of COVID happens and the world shuts down again.

ROC doesnt have to be file until 21 to 24 months after you arrive. It's no big deal. 

We just finished up this got 10 year and citizenship all this summer.

The first wave hasn't stopped yet. The world is shut down already. 

• 3 months later...

A bit old, but for what it's worth, I ended up waiting until after our 2 year anniversary and have received the 10-year green card and SSN. It was worth it because it turned out okay, but before our flight, I was a bit worried as the new strain of COVID had started surfacing and it could have affected our flights. Thankfully, it didn't, but these are uncertain times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.