Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cath&Claire said:

If I can recall where I read it, I’ll dig it out. It was sometime ago. Im sure your lawyer is absolutely correct!   Do they happen to know what’s going on with the consulate? 😂😂😂

This lawyer echoes exactly the same information that's in this thread and has no new and/or interesting information to add, sadly.

And I'm always scared of anecdotes in any case.  I'll read them and empathize with them and it might lead me to look into something, but the more emotional the anecdote the more likely it is to be misleading, and the anecdotes I've shared in my life are totally no exception to that :p.  Even the lawyer's recounting is an anecdote regardless of their vast experience because it doesn't account for *every* case.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DGF said:

Montreal issued 16 CR1 visas and 85 IR1 visas in September. Pretty similar to pre-covid numbers. October issuances will be interesting with the abysmal amount of ILs that went out this month.

Tbh I'm impressed that 16 people managed to make it through without the honour of being "upgraded" to IR1. 

I'm more depressed than impressed because of the 16 vs 85 number, but good for those lucky 16 who blazed through the process in just under two years :D

Timeline
6 minutes ago, legendqueue said:

I'm more depressed than impressed because of the 16 vs 85 number, but good for those lucky 16 who blazed through the process in just under two years :D

I'm assuming they were expedites. If Montreal can manage to issue 44 diversity visas (inc spouses and children) last month when Canada doesn't even qualify for the lottery, I can see them approving 16 expedites out of 10 months of backlog :P 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline
10 minutes ago, DGF said:

I'm assuming they were expedites. If Montreal can manage to issue 44 diversity visas (inc spouses and children) last month when Canada doesn't even qualify for the lottery, I can see them approving 16 expedites out of 10 months of backlog :P 

I don't necessarily agree. I was married in august of 2019 and we applied shortly thereafter. Even at the current rate I should still beat my ir-1 date by a few months most likely. I would say its more likely these people are similar to me and had "fairly quick" Noa2 times while applying shortly after marriage. Fairly quick is 8 months so sarcasm font needed, I know many people have waited longer but honestly the whole process takes way too long imo even before covid.

Edited by jackanddeona

Timeline
15 minutes ago, DGF said:

I assume Canadian permanent residents that got diversity visa? Dunno it seems like a lot of permanent residents interview in Canada 

On another note, day  285 of waiting for an interview 😩

Timeline
11 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

I don't necessarily agree. I was married in august of 2019 and we applied shortly thereafter. Even at the current rate I should still beat my ir-1 date by a few months most likely. I would say its more likely these people are similar to me and had "fairly quick" Noa2 times while applying shortly after marriage. Fairly quick is 8 months so sarcasm font needed, I know many people have waited longer but honestly the whole process takes way too long imo even before covid.

I really hope that once the cases that were stuck in long USCIS wait times are all done the overall timeline for Canadians will be reduced significantly and your estimated timeline being less than 2 years is a good indication that that will happen :) Also, I just looked at your timeline and we have the same anniversary, only a year apart. What a coincidence! 

2 minutes ago, MWhite said:

I assume Canadian permanent residents that got diversity visa? Dunno it seems like a lot of permanent residents interview in Canada 

On another note, day  285 of waiting for an interview 😩

Ahh good point. I didn't know that they qualified. I guess we were wrong when we assumed that the push to get DVs issued before October wouldn't affect Montreal!

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline
43 minutes ago, DGF said:

Montreal issued 16 CR1 visas and 85 IR1 visas in September. Pretty similar to pre-covid numbers. October issuances will be interesting with the abysmal amount of ILs that went out this month.

Tbh I'm impressed that 16 people managed to make it through without the honour of being "upgraded" to IR1. 

I’m of 2 minds: I want my interview ASAP, and  I want my interview after February 10th so I’ll get the 10 year GC!  🤓

Timeline
7 minutes ago, DGF said:

I really hope that once the cases that were stuck in long USCIS wait times are all done the overall timeline for Canadians will be reduced significantly and your estimated timeline being less than 2 years is a good indication that that will happen :) Also, I just looked at your timeline and we have the same anniversary, only a year apart. What a coincidence! 

Ahh good point. I didn't know that they qualified. I guess we were wrong when we assumed that the push to get DVs issued before October wouldn't affect Montreal!

haha that is quite the coincidence. My wife and I went back and forth on whether or not to do K1 or CR1. Based on a lot of factors we chose CR1 and applied a couple days after being married. We didn't feel the need to wait for some arbitrary amount of time after getting married after doing some research here. But ya at this point it's looking like a wait for an interview for myself will be longer then USCIS and NVC combined which is just horrible. Incredibly frustrated with Montreal at the moment.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, jackanddeona said:

haha that is quite the coincidence. My wife and I went back and forth on whether or not to do K1 or CR1. Based on a lot of factors we chose CR1 and applied a couple days after being married. We didn't feel the need to wait for some arbitrary amount of time after getting married after doing some research here. But ya at this point it's looking like a wait for an interview for myself will be longer then USCIS and NVC combined which is just horrible. Incredibly frustrated with Montreal at the moment.

It always been a source of confusion for me on how Canadian couples are able to apply days after their marriage.  Can you provide insight? I never asked before because it is irrelevant for me at this stage, but I’m genuinely courious to know what we could have done differently. 

In Ontario, we had to wait for the marriage to be registered so they could issue a marriage certificate. That process is typically 10-16 weeks, we had it expedited by the request of City Hall when they submitted our signed marriage license and record of solemnization of marriage but it still took 5 weeks. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, wordsfromdani said:

It always been a source of confusion for me on how Canadian couples are able to apply days after their marriage.  Can you provide insight? I never asked before because it is irrelevant for me at this stage, but I’m genuinely courious to know what we could have done differently. 

In Ontario, we had to wait for the marriage to be registered so they could issue a marriage certificate. That process is typically 10-16 weeks, we had it expedited by the request of City Hall when they submitted our signed marriage license and record of solemnization of marriage but it still took 5 weeks. 

We got married in NY state and we got our marriage certificate after like 10 days in the mail. Then it was just a matter of filling out the paperwork. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MWhite said:

We got married in NY state and we got our marriage certificate after like 10 days in the mail. Then it was just a matter of filling out the paperwork. 

Along the same lines here.  We got married in Vegas and the county website had the option to order the certificates by the next day sometime I believe.  It then took like a week and we had them and applied pretty much right away.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, wordsfromdani said:

we looked at a few different options and actually settled on getting married in Las Vegas because of that fact. The city is set up to give you a marriage certificate within a day or two depending on the chapel you use so that is why we went there among a few other reasons. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, wordsfromdani said:

I'm the USC but we got married near Victoria, BC, Canada. Took about two weeks for our official marriage certificate to reach hubby in Canada , no special expedite request. Sounds like Ontario takes longer than BC.

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Timeline

Just saw on a Facebook group 2 K1’s received their interview letters for November 4th and 16th yesterday.  Maybe they’re just far behind? 🤞🏻 🤞🏻 

Edited by Cath&Claire

Timeline
2 hours ago, wordsfromdani said:

Got married in Oregon. We had to wait 3 days from the time of appling for the paperwork to the time you get married unless you want to spend the $50 or something to get married the same day. 

Once we returned the signed paperwork, they printed off and provided us with the certified copies of our marriage certificate as we waited. I think each copy was $1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.