TonyValenz

k1 Visa leaving states with adjusting to status

24 posts in this topic

Hello, Im a US Citizen who has petitioned for a k1 visa and married my UK girlfriend here in the states.

After marriage, I didn't realize that we never got her a SSN Number, as I was trying to purchase her Medical Insurance and she also fell pregnant with my child during that time.

Now we are in a tough position and decided for her to go back and live in the UK, until we figure things out, with all the Pandemic.

My question is, will she be able to comeback on a Tourist Visa, to visit me with our child in the meantime, or will the US Bar her from the country, even using a Tourist visa

thanks in advance(=

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, TonyValenz said:

Hello, Im a US Citizen who has petitioned for a k1 visa and married my UK girlfriend here in the states.

After marriage, I didn't realize that we never got her a SSN Number, as I was trying to purchase her Medical Insurance and she also fell pregnant with my child during that time.

Now we are in a tough position and decided for her to go back and live in the UK, until we figure things out, with all the Pandemic.

My question is, will she be able to comeback on a Tourist Visa, to visit me with our child in the meantime, or will the US Bar her from the country, even using a Tourist visa

thanks in advance(=

She can apply, but the question of immigrant intent will be hard to overcome .

FYI, give the insurance company a placeholder SSN until she gets one.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

As long as you two married within the 90 days she should be good. However, the problem with the tourist visa is that it is NEVER guranteed. Meaning there is no 100% guarantee she will get another one or if she has one, that she will be allowed to travel here. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 minute ago, Iscir said:

if you two married and applied adjustment of status within the 90 days, then she wouldn’t be barred because while adjusting status she is legally authorized to stay. If she is from the UK she can apply for the ESTA and try to visit, but not apply for a tourist visa or she will be most likely denied and also lose her visa waiver program privilege. But then even with an approved ESTA or tourist visa she has to show to the CBP officers that she doesn’t have immigrant intent, so entry is never guaranteed. She needs to have strong ties to the UK. 

ESTA is forever gone for her.

YMMV

1 hour ago, TonyValenz said:

thanks in advance(=

if she leaves,  ESTA will be revoked, K1 no longer exists, you will have to start IR1 again for her to enter due to her immigrant intent.  All non immigrant visas will be rejected in her case 

duh

Timeline
33 minutes ago, TonyValenz said:

she has been her for 180 days, I thought that she would be barred for 3 years but not completely denied a ESTA Visa?

ESTA is not a visa.

One day of overstay eliminates the ability to use esta 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, TonyValenz said:

thanks in advance(=

If you married and applied for adjustment of status within 90 days of her entry then she was in authorized stay therefore she does not incur a ban. 

Due to applying for adjustment of status it will be hard to overcome immigrant intent for ESTA in the future. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

*~*~*question about visiting moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process avd procedures” to “tourist visas”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.