TonyValenz

k1 Visa leaving states with adjusting to status

24 posts in this topic

She was granted 90 days of legal status. If she left prior to 180 days after that 90 day period, then there is no ban.

If the I-485 was filed, any time from the date of filing onwards would not be counted either.

VWP privilege is forever gone starting at day 1 of any overstay. A visa would be needed to visit again.

Getting a tourist visa from a VWP country with a USC spouse and recent K-1 visa would make overcoming the presumption of immigrant intent extremely difficult.

Only way to know for sure is to apply, but expect a refusal and plan accordingly.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
4 hours ago, TonyValenz said:

Hello, Im a US Citizen who has petitioned for a k1 visa and married my UK girlfriend here in the states.

After marriage, I didn't realize that we never got her a SSN Number, as I was trying to purchase her Medical Insurance and she also fell pregnant with my child during that time.

Now we are in a tough position and decided for her to go back and live in the UK, until we figure things out, with all the Pandemic.

My question is, will she be able to comeback on a Tourist Visa, to visit me with our child in the meantime, or will the US Bar her from the country, even using a Tourist visa

thanks in advance(=

This is why everyone should just apply for AOS within 90 days. Too often I see people who wait and screw themselves; “but over stay is forgiven for spouses” “you don’t have to file within 90 days”  etc are excuses seen all the time but sometimes things don’t work out such as your case. You said she wants to go back and live in the UK-is she filing a visa for you to move there? The chances of her ever getting a b1/b2 (tourist) visa are slim now so if you want a life together you’d move to the UK. Hopefully your parents (grandparents) are able to travel to see the baby.

I see many steps you missed in the process that you can’t go back on but hopefully others reading this  know what you are getting into regarding immigration it’s not what you see on tv shows.

You may also want to make sure she didn’t lose her UK health benefits when she left the country. I am assuming you are now outside the window of applying for insurance but you never needed a SSN to apply for health insurance.

Since she didn’t leave yet you still have options. If medical insurance is the only issue preventing her from wanting to be in the Us apply for AOS now, pay out of pocket for her medical care and obtain insurance during open enrollment (November?) Or see if your state has a special enrollment period going on now due to Covid (my state allowed you to enroll in health insurance during the height of the pandemic)

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounded like she had left admittedly not clear.

Probably a question of time, once she has a job settled in etc etc then apply for a B, meanwhile the OP can visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Why haven't you applied for Adjustment of Status to get her a EAD card and green card. You say she doesn't want to stay but trust me she leaves and can't come back that will b regretted so why not get what you need then after she gets the proper legal status she can then decide what to do.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

5 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

Why haven't you applied for Adjustment of Status to get her a EAD card and green card. You say she doesn't want to stay but trust me she leaves and can't come back that will b regretted so why not get what you need then after she gets the proper legal status she can then decide what to do.

Would be moot to get AP unless she plans to return for the AOS interview.  Sounds like that is not the plan.

at the moment she is still here, the reason for leaving is fear of medical bills for the birth, Im self employed and was denied  health insurance, when trying to purchase it for her because of the SSN, Im hearing people say you don't need one but she was denied for that exact reason

They gave us Financial Help at the hospital but it's only for 6 months and won't be long enough to cover the whole pregnancy

We are running out of time and where she is from (UK), it is completely free to have a baby.

She will be looking to move back most likely with the IR1 Visa, around 2-3 years from now, or me moving their possibly 

hopefully we will be more prepared this time, I will just be traveling alot, hopefully the Covid, will ease down next year

22 minutes ago, TonyValenz said:

and was denied  health insurance, when trying to purchase it for her because of the SSN, Im hearing people say you don't need one but she was denied for that exact reason

Challenge them as they can't deny solely based on that: "You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual." https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.