flea89

Expedited Appt ?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would like to request an expedited appointment for K1 so that our K2 can get enrolled in school here in the US next month. I think it would be better than her going to school part of the year in VN and then finishing the rest of the year here assuming she comes during this school year. We are not sure if the consulate would consider that an urgent need for travel. Can I please have your thoughts and opinions? I appreciate it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I seriously doubt it but no harm asking. Perhaps delay matters so they can start next year?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
7 minutes ago, flea89 said:

I would like to request an expedited appointment for K1 so that our K2 can get enrolled in school here in the US next month. I think it would be better than her going to school part of the year in VN and then finishing the rest of the year here assuming she comes during this school year. We are not sure if the consulate would consider that an urgent need for travel. Can I please have your thoughts and opinions? I appreciate it

Right now, US Embassy in HCM only conduct IR/CR visa interviews.

25 minutes ago, H&T said:

Right now, US Embassy in HCM only conduct IR/CR visa interviews.

Spot on, no K1 is scheduled.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

You can try. But do so with cautious optimism. 

If I were a case officer, here would be reasons for a denial for an expedite to attend school... right now, there is no 100% plan for how school will open. Everyone is still scrambling to see how this virus will be in a few weeks when school opens up.  Also, the child has the ability to attend school in the country s/he is in now. Nothing wrong with the child starting school there then transfering to the US afterwards. Happens all the time.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

UPDATE:

So I sent the consulate an e-mail basically saying I want our K2 to start school here in the US and wasn't sure if they would consider that a reason for an expedited appointment or not and just a couple hours ago my fiance got a call that they approved our request and now she has an interview date for 8/10/20.

Timeline
8 hours ago, flea89 said:

UPDATE:

So I sent the consulate an e-mail basically saying I want our K2 to start school here in the US and wasn't sure if they would consider that a reason for an expedited appointment or not and just a couple hours ago my fiance got a call that they approved our request and now she has an interview date for 8/10/20.

Was your case already at the consulate or was your case still at NVC? We tried to expedite our case through the consulate but it was declined. I'm guessing because it was still at NVC.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, ttigiras said:

Was your case already at the consulate or was your case still at NVC? We tried to expedite our case through the consulate but it was declined. I'm guessing because it was still at NVC.

It was already at the consulate, our original interview was for 3/29 but got cancelled 2 weeks before we could go

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think some consulates are going to have fairly loose interpretations of 'emergency' due to the POTUS EO.

If you have anything close to a reasonable request (like school) then try it.  I cannot see them being overly busy with only 'mission critical' applications.

Worst case is they say no. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 8/5/2020 at 1:12 AM, SmallTownPA said:

I think some consulates are going to have fairly loose interpretations of 'emergency' due to the POTUS EO.

If you have anything close to a reasonable request (like school) then try it.  I cannot see them being overly busy with only 'mission critical' applications.

Worst case is they say no. 

Well, flea's case was a little different since he had an interview scheduled for March and it was cancelled.  If any other K1 that hadn't had an interview scheduled before COVID I don't see the same outcome happening for school.

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stein said:

Well, flea's case was a little different since he had an interview scheduled for March and it was cancelled.  If any other K1 that hadn't had an interview scheduled before COVID I don't see the same outcome happening for school.

Previous interview scheduled means what?  There are probably a lot of K1/K2s that had interviews scheduled that were cancelled. 

DoS is really screwing up the interpretation of the POTUS EO (it should not include K1s, at all, its a non-immigrant visa) and I think more than a few consulates will give leeway if you have anything that resembles a reasonable request, like a kid wanting to start school.

Now with Vn having 100's of cases, they might close up shop again... bottom line it never hurts to ask.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.