Ferrero

Obtaining Drivers License With SSN (Waiting for Interview)

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

So I am waiting for my Green Card Interview to be scheduled and I just got my EAD Card with my SSN.

I have an Australian Drivers License (expired) and I need to start getting my USA (Michigan) Drivers License. 

Do I need to take a driving test still or just a written test? Or How does it work? Visiting the DMV is by appointment only so I have 2 months in waiting.

I would assume me having been driving for years in Australia would void me doing the actual driving test so just wanted to know.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Ferrero said:

Hello Everyone,

So I am waiting for my Green Card Interview to be scheduled and I just got my EAD Card with my SSN.

I have an Australian Drivers License (expired) and I need to start getting my USA (Michigan) Drivers License. 

Do I need to take a driving test still or just a written test? Or How does it work? Visiting the DMV is by appointment only so I have 2 months in waiting.

I would assume me having been driving for years in Australia would void me doing the actual driving test so just wanted to know.

Every state can have their own rules. Check the Michigan DMV website. 

Most states only exchange from specific countries, like Canada, UK. But since your foreign license is expired, I'm pretty sure you will need to get a permit, than take the road test to get the actual license.

I was driving for 7 years in Brazil, and still had to everything in CT to get my license, because they only exchange from France, Germany and Canada.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Ferrero said:

Hello Everyone,

This question would be specific to Michigan so I recommend looking you the Michigan DMV and see if you can get a DL without a greencard, if you need a permit, if you need a written and on road test etc, I wanted to point out a huge difference- ya’ll drive on the wrong side of the road so I wouldn’t assume your experience counts 😂 lol

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Ferrero said:

Hello Everyone,

You likely will do need both the knowledge and skills test.   The only thing you maybe able to avoid is the minimum waiting period between permit and skills test ( if Michigan has this)

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You likely will do need both the knowledge and skills test.   The only thing you maybe able to avoid is the minimum waiting period between permit and skills test ( if Michigan has this)

Agreed. You can likely do the written , vision and practical test on the same day.  From experience .. watch out for.. backing out onto the correct side of the road. ,looking over your right shoulder when backing , stopping at the stop line not at the actual intersection line. Good luck ! 

1 hour ago, Ferrero said:

Not necessarily. I had been driving in the U.K. for over 20 years before I moved here and had to do all 3 tests (vision, theory and practical). 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*moved from “adjustment of status from K visas” to “moving to the US” where similar topics are often discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

It's very easy to get one in States, it's nothing similar to getting one in UK or Australia, it's very very very easy, my friend who failed to get one in UK 4 times got one here from the first try without really practicing or studying anything. The only problem is that without green card you will get temporarily DL which is valid only for a year. 

And yes you will need to pass Practical Test, Theory test and Eye sign test, since you got your foreign id you won't need any other course. 

• 2 weeks later...

only 6 countries qualify for exchanging their license; Canada, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, or Taiwan.

Everybody else gets to take the test again. Check your local DMV site for exact requirements, required documents etc. Be prepared for some problems at the counter unless you have a greencard. (Most DMV employee's do not know what is and is not accepted) bring printouts of the document requirements.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Fr8dog said:

only 6 countries qualify for exchanging their license; Canada, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, or Taiwan.

Everybody else gets to take the test again. Check your local DMV site for exact requirements, required documents etc. Be prepared for some problems at the counter unless you have a greencard. (Most DMV employee's do not know what is and is not accepted) bring printouts of the document requirements.

That also depends on the state. Not every state does that.

1 minute ago, Letspaintcookies said:

That also depends on the state. Not every state does that.

States can have stricter rules than the federal one, these 6 countries are approved on a federal level.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hello to all I just got a regular ID from the DMV currently awaiting my permit to come in the mail as well but what I notice was that on my ID it says Temporary Visitor. I’m currently filing in New York I have my work permit and my social just waiting on an interview date. 
The question is I’m I suppose to have temporary visitor (next to it it has my work permit expiration date) on my permit/license 
Filed November 15th 2020. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.