90DayFinancier

Too little too late: The story of how Florida shattered the country's single-day COVID record

350 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

"Cases" and "raw deaths"... why the obsession over these when they're meaningless numbers without a basis of comparison? Is maintaining a narrative that important?

What is raw death. Is that diffrent than a medium well death?😃

Honestly I dont think cases skyrocketing and deaths breaking records are anything more than facts. I am not sure what the narrative is other than we need to take every precaution possible , while at the same time not doing more damage to the country than the Virus.

I dont know one single medical professional who thinks this a narrative. 

22 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Honestly I dont think cases skyrocketing and deaths breaking records are anything more than facts. I am not sure what the narrative is other than we need to take every precaution possible , while at the same time not doing more damage to the country than the Virus.

I dont know one single medical professional who thinks this a narrative. 

Rare to medium rare. 

The narrative is clearly taking raw numbers without a basis of comparison, along with trying to artificially elevate a bad argument by throwing "medical professionals" (also called an appeal to authority fallacy) in front of it. They don't just give a single data point and say "this is bad", they show how it's bad. Narratives like this are precisely how you can turn a vastly improving situation into an drastically worsening one, contrary to reality. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

sounds like a tbone question.........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

2 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

sounds like a tbone question.........

Sounded like a tbone joke 

9 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Rare to medium rare. 

The narrative is clearly taking raw numbers without a basis of comparison, along with trying to artificially elevate a bad argument by throwing "medical professionals" (also called an appeal to authority fallacy) in front of it. They don't just give a single data point and say "this is bad", they show how it's bad. Narratives like this are precisely how you can turn a vastly improving situation into an drastically worsening one, contrary to reality. 

I dont think listening to people that are among the brightest among us and deal with the reality of this every day is an "appeal to authority " fallacy.Drama much?  I think its called common sense. 

Vastly improving situation? Trump said its not improving and its going to get worse before it gets better. Is Trump lying? Is that an appeal to authority fallacy? 

12 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I dont think listening to people that are among the brightest among us and deal with the reality of this every day is an "appeal to authority " fallacy.Drama much?  I think its called common sense. 

Vastly improving situation? Trump said its not improving and its going to get worse before it gets better. Is Trump lying? Is that an appeal to authority fallacy? 

You answer your own question.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

13 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I don't think you're going to get anywhere NB. All we can do is do our best to protect ourselves, those we love, and those around us. Hopefully with time (and unfortunately more deaths) we will know enough to find a good treatment to stop the suffering quickly and an effective vaccine. But ultimately we'll likely be in this for the long haul and our reality will be vastly different for a long time. Pandemics surely have far reaching consequences. This isn't even the worst one possible....

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

18 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

You answer your own question.

Is this some of that gas lighting I keep hearing you complaining about? 

9 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I don't think you're going to get anywhere NB. All we can do is do our best to protect ourselves, those we love, and those around us. Hopefully with time (and unfortunately more deaths) we will know enough to find a good treatment to stop the suffering quickly and an effective vaccine. But ultimately we'll likely be in this for the long haul and our reality will be vastly different for a long time. Pandemics surely have far reaching consequences. This isn't even the worst one possible....

Ya think.  I want to beat my head against a wall sometimes  I hear it at work all the time. Co workers get ridiculed by managers for wearing a mask. I had a manager tell me all this was a hoax and it was all made up. I just looked at him and said, no words.

I have another co worker who went to wal mart and bought a months worth of supplies,  the day before the mask requirement becuse he refused to wear a mask. Its like 2 steps backwards and 1 step foward with these people.

1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Rare to medium rare. 

BTW I looked up what an " Appeal to Authority fallacy is"  You used the term just about as wrong as it is possible to use it. I did completely opposite of what the term means.

I appealed to medical professionals which are experts in the subject being 

In Logic,

Appeal to Authority is an informal fallacy of weak induction. This fallacy occurs when someone uses the testimony of an authority in order to warrant their conclusion, but the authority appealed to is not an expert in the field in question.

For example, if someone said, “Einstein said ‘God does not play dice with the universe,’ therefore God must exist.”

In this argument the fact that Einstein seems to believe in God is used as evidence for the existence of God. However, Einstein is an expert in Physics, not Philosophy or Theology. Therefore, the “authority” of Einstein is not sufficient to provide evidence for the truth of the conclusion.

http://www.mesacc.edu/~barsp59601/text/lex/defs/a/appealtoauthority.html

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

48 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Ya think.  I want to beat my head against a wall sometimes  I hear it at work all the time. Co workers get ridiculed by managers for wearing a mask. I had a manager tell me all this was a hoax and it was all made up. I just looked at him and said, no words.

I have another co worker who went to wal mart and bought a months worth of supplies,  the day before the mask requirement becuse he refused to wear a mask. Its like 2 steps backwards and 1 step foward with these people.

It's exhausting. I had a long chat with my usually cheerful doctor today. Could tell he was terribly melancholy despite his best attempts.. Can't stress enough how much this stuff gets to the people that are on the front lines desperately trying to pull people through it, keep them alive, and still lose so many patients in the most horrific ways.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

5 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

BTW I looked up what an " Appeal to Authority fallacy is"  You used the term just about as wrong as it is possible to use it. I did completely opposite of what the term means.

I appealed to medical professionals which are experts in the subject being 

In Logic,

Appeal to Authority is an informal fallacy of weak induction. This fallacy occurs when someone uses the testimony of an authority in order to warrant their conclusion, but the authority appealed to is not an expert in the field in question.

For example, if someone said, “Einstein said ‘God does not play dice with the universe,’ therefore God must exist.”

In this argument the fact that Einstein seems to believe in God is used as evidence for the existence of God. However, Einstein is an expert in Physics, not Philosophy or Theology. Therefore, the “authority” of Einstein is not sufficient to provide evidence for the truth of the conclusion.

http://www.mesacc.edu/~barsp59601/text/lex/defs/a/appealtoauthority.html

Appeal to authority here is the use of an authority to substitute for your arguments. You've neither defended your own arguments nor cited the people in question to back your argument, you've merely appealed to their authority on the subject, which isn't an argument. It's a fallacious and lazy substitute for one. Hopefully that clears it up.

3 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Appeal to authority here is the use of an authority to substitute for your arguments. You've neither defended your own arguments nor cited the people in question to back your argument, you've merely appealed to their authority on the subject, which isn't an argument. It's a fallacious and lazy substitute for one. Hopefully that clears it up.

So here it means something totally different that what it really means., becuse you used it incorrectly in attempt to gas light me, so it doesn't mean what it really means. That indeed cleared it up.

BTW you pretty much butchered fallacious also.