90DayFinancier

Too little too late: The story of how Florida shattered the country's single-day COVID record

350 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

for most of us, it's an angry wife or ex wife.

Not limited to (ex-)wives. At least in my experience. 

Filed: Timeline

“The 134 new confirmed deaths is the second-largest increase on record, coming five days after the largest one-day jump of 156 last week.”

“COVID-19 has ravaged Florida, with more than 237,000 people testing positive and 2,013 dying from the virus in July alone.”

So what characteristic do all of the reports share? They are all false.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/07/27/florida-is-a-case-study-in-media-induced-covid-19-panic/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

The most dangerous food is Wedding Cake.

Plagiarism, see man!!!  Reported!!!!!!!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

if I stop posting in the next 12 hours, it was a hurricane what got me, NOT covid.

If the hurricane has even one COVID-19 organism inside it, you're a coronavirus fatality.

(And the hurricane gets reimbursement from the Feds)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Last few nights, if I caught them right, were around 2.8% and then 1.8%. It was progressively getting worse, then last report was better news, but not meaningful by itself unless we see it go lower (the 1.8% could be moot if we see tomorrow's report of today show, say, 2.9% or 3%). With how well Florida did on mortality, there's no reason to accept more than 1.5% until significant amount of population gets tested.

A key important thing I hope people in that state find out are the reasons for the increases. While I suspect the deaths are largely the same demographic as before (meaning shoddy protocol of the vulnerable.. which should not be loosening up for a while as we're about to enter flu season), its very important to see if that's changing. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Timeline
11 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Last few nights, if I caught them right, were around 2.8% and then 1.8%. It was progressively getting worse, then last report was better news, but not meaningful by itself unless we see it go lower (the 1.8% could be moot if we see tomorrow's report of today show, say, 2.9% or 3%). With how well Florida did on mortality, there's no reason to accept more than 1.5% until significant amount of population gets tested.

A key important thing I hope people in that state find out are the reasons for the increases. While I suspect the deaths are largely the same demographic as before (meaning shoddy protocol of the vulnerable.. which should not be loosening up for a while as we're about to enter flu season), its very important to see if that's changing. 

I suspect numbers will appear lower for a minute, due to several East coast testing facilities shutting down for the hurricane.  Only the private ones remained open.

FL has a significant population of elders, but they haven't been as affected lately, probably because their lives haven't really changed much, and they tend not to habitually go to bars and clusters on beaches.  Also, unlike some democratic-controlled states, our governor ordered a lot of hydroxychloroquine as opposed to banning its use in our state.  No way of knowing how much it has been prescribed, but at least it has been an option for doctors who want to use it.

Better news out of Florida 

Florida reports fewest daily coronavirus deaths in nearly 3 weeks, lowest daily cases in a month

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-coronavirus-lowest-daily-deaths-case

34 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I suspect numbers will appear lower for a minute, due to several East coast testing facilities shutting down for the hurricane.  Only the private ones remained open.

FL has a significant population of elders, but they haven't been as affected lately, probably because their lives haven't really changed much, and they tend not to habitually go to bars and clusters on beaches.  Also, unlike some democratic-controlled states, our governor ordered a lot of hydroxychloroquine as opposed to banning its use in our state.  No way of knowing how much it has been prescribed, but at least it has been an option for doctors who want to use it.

Right? 

I had come back to Calgary in time for not only the birth of my son but the stupidity of more cases=bad. The ICU had one death in god knows how long in city of a million and a half at the time they decided to do this, the death rate is insanely low here. On the bright side, because the key decisions on education are made provincial-wide, the city can't really ban them from re-opening, and I'm glad. Nonetheless, the province added one weird requirement about students social distance protocol (no masks) that included them facing different directions and spread out around class. All I can do is shake my head.

This is why health decisions should really be made first and foremost on the individual level, taking the wider implications (e.g. federal/local guidelines) into consideration. Top-down simply winds up failing.