Catsmeat

3 Year Rule clarification

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife and I (US citizen) went through the standard K-1 Visa process. She arrived and we were married in August 2017. She received her conditional Green Card in May 2019.

The way I read the instructions, we now have to wait two more years to start her citizenship application because the 3-year rule starts from the time of becoming a Permanent Resident (receipt of green card). Am I right?

I wouldn't even ask, but she has two separate friends who also did the fiancee visa and are now citizens, but they both say that their Three Years started from the time they got married to a US Citizen and have been living in the US. In other words, they only waiting three years from the wedding, not three years from becoming a green card holder.

I keep looking for information that confirms this, but I only see confirmation of my view. Who is right?

My wife is looking at me like I'm an idiot -- she believes her friends.

TIA

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You are correct.  Her friends are wrong.

To qualify under the 3 years rule, your wife must meet all three main conditions.

1.  Have a green card for 3 years.

2.  Be married to a US citizen for 3 years.

3.  Live with that US citizen spouse for 3 years.  

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/naturalization-spouses-us-citizens

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA, an applicant must:

• Be 18 or older
  • Be a permanent resident (Green Card holder) for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Have been living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S. citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application and up until examination on the application
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of  filing the application
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (also known as civics)
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during  all relevant periods under the law

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Catsmeat said:

My wife and I (US citizen) went through the standard K-1 Visa process. She arrived and we were married in August 2017. She received her conditional Green Card in May 2019.

The way I read the instructions, we now have to wait two more years to start her citizenship application because the 3-year rule starts from the time of becoming a Permanent Resident (receipt of green card). Am I right?

I wouldn't even ask, but she has two separate friends who also did the fiancee visa and are now citizens, but they both say that their Three Years started from the time they got married to a US Citizen and have been living in the US. In other words, they only waiting three years from the wedding, not three years from becoming a green card holder.

I keep looking for information that confirms this, but I only see confirmation of my view. Who is right?

TIA

You are correct. Your spouse can apply 3 years minus 90 days after her Adjustment of Status was approved........assuming she meets the physical presence in the US requirement.   Since she married you before her GC was approved, she will also meet the "married to a US citizen for 3 years" requirement.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with @aaron2020 & @Luckycuds

Being a person who just got citizenship a year ago, it remains as aaron2020 stated, married for 3 years, LPR for 3 years, and live with you for 3 years. She also has to meet the physical presence requirements stated by aaron2020. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

1 hour ago, Catsmeat said:

TIA

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/naturalization-spouses-us-citizens

Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens

In general, you may qualify for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you

• Have been a Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) for at least 3 years
  • Have been living in marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
2 hours ago, Catsmeat said:

TIA

Follow the rules on the USCIS website and not her friends 🙂 give her the link as well.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
15 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

Are these her Slavic girlfriends telling her this?  

You know it :)

Which makes it tough because they that they did it in a shorter time (somehow). Two are separately telling the same story, which makes it difficult for me to get through. 

16 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

You are correct.  Her friends are wrong.

To qualify under the 3 years rule, your wife must meet all three main conditions.

1.  Have a green card for 3 years.

2.  Be married to a US citizen for 3 years.

3.  Live with that US citizen spouse for 3 years.  

Thanks, and thanks to all who have confirmed this info as well. I really appreciate all of you.

She still doesn't believe me, but I think a little doubt is starting to creep in. Now she wants to ask an immigration lawyer. 🤷‍♂️😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, Catsmeat said:

You know it :)

Which makes it tough because they that they did it in a shorter time (somehow). Two are separately telling the same story, which makes it difficult for me to get through. 

Thanks, and thanks to all who have confirmed this info as well. I really appreciate all of you.

She still doesn't believe me, but I think a little doubt is starting to creep in. Now she wants to ask an immigration lawyer. 🤷‍♂️😂

Well, my friend (from Ukraine as well) and her daughter arrived on K-1/K-2 visas in 2012. Both - US citizens since 2016 or 2017.  So, they went through entire process and you'd think  they should've known how it works... Wrong! :)

I entered the US on my K-1 in 2014. We  thought the friend would be so much help to us, but every time we asked something - an answer was incorrect or some kind of nonsense.

My friend's husband did all paperwork for all of them, so he - does know, but ladies - still no clue, even after going through entire process and getting nationalized. Probably, that's the case with your wife's friends.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Well, my friend (from Ukraine as well) and her daughter arrived on K-1/K-2 visas in 2012. Both - US citizens since 2016 or 2017.  So, they went through entire process and you'd think  they should've known how it works... Wrong! :)

I entered the US on my K-1 in 2014. We  thought the friend would be so much help to us, but every time we asked something - an answer was incorrect or some kind of nonsense.

My friend's husband did all paperwork for all of them, so he - does know, but ladies - still no clue, even after going through entire process and getting nationalized. Probably, that's the case with your wife's friends.

That's life with Slavic friends here!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Catsmeat said:

To read N-400 Instruction is so much cheaper! :)

Timeline
Just now, gregcrs2 said:

That's life with Slavic friends here!

Tell me :) 

Although I miss my country a lot, but I kinda like we don't have many 'of "us" in the area I live :) My that friend  - she does, so here is the result :)

5 hours ago, Catsmeat said:

She still doesn't believe me, but I think a little doubt is starting to creep in. Now she wants to ask an immigration lawyer.

Expensive idea for obtaining the same information, from the source, for FREE.

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

That's hilarious and true. Thank  you for the confirmation :)

44 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

To read N-400 Instruction is so much cheaper! :)

That's what I'm saying! She would say, "скупой платит дважды". 

But, but, but... yes, dear ))

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.