Mimicherie

Unfortunate Overstay on Tourist Visa Due to Covid19

51 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Timona said:

Sorry @SusieQQQ I still don't understand this. I know it's off topic,  but would appreciate if you explain how buying ticket on CC may sometimes give you insurance. 

I've read your follow up posts but still drawing blank😳

Credit cards often have benefits included for the cardholder, and one of them may be travel insurance.  There are other types of insurance benefits too, example my card also provides full insurance for car rentals if purchased on the card so I don’t have to purchase separately from the car rental company. Some will reimburse you for goods stolen within a month of buying them, etc etc. And some provide automatic travel insurance when you buy air tickets. I think many people just don’t realize how many benefits they get automatically. 

see examples of travel insurance in article here https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/travel/credit-cards-that-provide-travel-insurance/

6 hours ago, bradoony said:

Well, If I am wrong reading information from USCIS website https://www.uscis.gov/news/public-charge-fact-sheet

Benefits Not Considered  

DHS will not consider:  

• Emergency medical assistance;  

• Disaster relief;  

• National school lunch programs;  

• The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children ;  

• The Children’s Health Insurance Program;  

• Subsidies for foster care and adoption;  

• Government-subsidized student and mortgage loans; 

• Energy assistance;  

• Food pantries and homeless shelters; and 

• Head Start.    

That does not imply that treatment such as the OP's friend received in the US need not be paid back, or that it would not be considered for future immigrant visas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Insurance with a Credit Card may be common in the US but so much elsewhere, certainly my UK cards do not provide such a benefit.

Inability to fund your trip is certainly a factor for B issuance

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Insurance with a Credit Card may be common in the US but so much elsewhere, certainly my UK cards do not provide such a benefit.

Inability to fund your trip is certainly a factor for B issuance

My South African ones did....that was the one I claimed on.  I (clearly mistakenly) assumed if we did it back in the third world that it would be widespread.  🤷‍♀️ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

My South African ones did....that was the one I claimed on.  I (clearly mistakenly) assumed if we did it back in the third world that it would be widespread.  🤷‍♀️ 

Third world? People still use such designations in these times?

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Swipe fees are higher in South Africa.  The EU put a cap on swipe fees for visa and MC so they can’t afford these benefits, you only get them from Amex in UK. 

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Third world? People still use such designations in these times?

Developing nations... 

ROC

AOS

Timeline

The US Banking system felt positively antiquated when I came here.

Ditto Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Ditto Insurance.

I thought so too.  But they seem to have jumped ahead with all the new tech they introduced

ROC

AOS

Timeline

I have not noticed that, still seem to be playing catch up.

1 hour ago, Henry357 said:

Developing nations... 

I suspect that was a dig at me because I usually call others out on it, I was using to make a point in this case ;) 

Swipe fees makes sense as the explanation- thanks for pointing that out - it worked well for me in terms of having the insurance (requirement for schengen visas) and actually using it (medical in US was a biggie, lost bags/baggage delay a couple of times in Europe) - but yeah I guess not so good in the big picture. 

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Ditto Insurance.

My husband was a banker in NZ for 30 years.  He can't believe paper checks are still widely used here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Update:

Good news: He shared he does have a B Visa where he is allowed to stay up to 6 months, but usually stays about 2-3 months so CBP don’t ever question his trips/feel the need to revoke his visa. 

Bad News: He has about 8 more days left of physical therapy (his illness had him paralyzed on the right side of his body, through vigorous therapy, he’s been able to gain some movement back) but I believe the 6 month mark just ended sometime this week or will end sometime next week. 

We understand the whole “hurry up and try to get his butt home” but he physically cannot travel by himself. His “family” that he has up here consists of 2 people who cannot travel at this time with him. 

It’s almost as if the overstay is inevitable. 

My questions: 

-If he has days/weeks left on his B-Visa can he apply for the extension?

-Is there a fee for that?

-Also, if he applies, does that aid the reason of his overstay even though a decision hasn’t been made yet? For example: Just like AOS aids the fact that you have no status just yet because you sent all your items in.
-If he we’re to be able to leave before they make a decision on his emergency medical assistance, does that automatically voids his app since he’s currently not in the state he applied in due to having to travel back home? 

Useful information for those who attempt at answering my questions:

- Haiti 🇭🇹 just opened its land and Boarders for travelers TODAY.  
-He still has to figure out his travel plans since he doesn’t remember details of it. Family is currently looking into that.

8 minutes ago, gsdc23 said:

Update:

Good news: He shared he does have a B Visa where he is allowed to stay up to 6 months, but usually stays about 2-3 months so CBP don’t ever question his trips/feel the need to revoke his visa. 

Bad News: He has about 8 more days left of physical therapy (his illness had him paralyzed on the right side of his body, through vigorous therapy, he’s been able to gain some movement back) but I believe the 6 month mark just ended sometime this week or will end sometime next week. 

We understand the whole “hurry up and try to get his butt home” but he physically cannot travel by himself. His “family” that he has up here consists of 2 people who cannot travel at this time with him. 

It’s almost as if the overstay is inevitable. 

My questions: 

-If he has days/weeks left on his B-Visa can he apply for the extension?

-Is there a fee for that?

-Also, if he applies, does that aid the reason of his overstay even though a decision hasn’t been made yet? For example: Just like AOS aids the fact that you have no status just yet because you sent all your items in.
-If he we’re to be able to leave before they make a decision on his emergency medical assistance, does that automatically voids his app since he’s currently not in the state he applied in due to having to travel back home? 

Useful information for those who attempt at answering my questions:

- Haiti 🇭🇹 just opened its land and Boarders for travelers TODAY.  
-He still has to figure out his travel plans since he doesn’t remember details of it. Family is currently looking into that.

Yes, he can (and imo should) apply for an extension if he is about to overstay. Form i539. $370 plus $85 biometric fee. He should keep all records of his unexpected medical issues. And in simple terms, yes to both the following two questions. See https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf , particularly page 3. 

He should also keep records of his i539 application for his next visa interview- even if it’s years down the line. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.