CourtneyW

HELP No US Cosigner for Student Loans

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Many of us attend a community college for 2 years (AS or AA degree) and then transfer to a big university for the BS degree (saves a lot of money)

you have to not only afford tuition but room and board (freshman are usually required to live on campus in a dorm except at most  community colleges )

i had 3 kids in college one year so the last one to enter had to do this

and don't forget the extras like books and fees (used books are sometimes available but otherwise these are costly)

And if you come,  get to an advisor and ask if you can be considered a state resident after living in the state a year (for state tuition instead of foreign)/ i have seen this done many many years ago but it may not be allowed now (still it is worth asking)

if you get to come,  keep those grades up to a dean's list level and search for scholarships

some colleges have a lawyer that will assist with questions of this nature but if not,  they all have student advisors

26 minutes ago, kris&me said:

Many of us attend a community college for 2 years (AS or AA degree) and then transfer to a big university for the BS degree (saves a lot of money)

you have to not only afford tuition but room and board (freshman are usually required to live on campus in a dorm except at most  community colleges )

i had 3 kids in college one year so the last one to enter had to do this

and don't forget the extras like books and fees (used books are sometimes available but otherwise these are costly)

And if you come,  get to an advisor and ask if you can be considered a state resident after living in the state a year (for state tuition instead of foreign)/ i have seen this done many many years ago but it may not be allowed now (still it is worth asking)

if you get to come,  keep those grades up to a dean's list level and search for scholarships

some colleges have a lawyer that will assist with questions of this nature but if not,  they all have student advisors

OP is doing a masters degree 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
14 hours ago, CourtneyW said:

I have just stated that my family will be getting some inheritance, but this won't come in until after I need to prove it by. Hence I asked whether a death certificate would help in proving the money will be coming in.

I have tried to look at other UK based loan companies but I can't seem to find any that will be able to offer the same terms as the student US ones, and that payment can be on hold until after studies end. If you know of any I'd be happy to check them out.

So you will be getting some of this inheritance?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

15 hours ago, CourtneyW said:

Hence I asked whether a death certificate would help in proving the money will be coming in.

Death certificates 'prove' info about a human death.  Nothing more, nothing less.

13 hours ago, CourtneyW said:

Would the Embassy accept a copy of a will as part of the proof?

I doubt it.  They don't want to know about potential income.  They want to know about actual assets/income.  So you may need to wait until probate is completed.

Timeline
14 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP is doing a masters degree 

ouch    expensive - sorry i did look at his profile and know this 

many of the foreign students i studied with had a scholarship even when the family was wealthy

nhttps://www.edupass.org/paying-for-college/scholarships/databases/

then OP should hunt for foreign scholarships 

could mean coming at a later date (year)  but since OP does not have the funds at this time ,  it may be the only way to go

26 minutes ago, kris&me said:

ouch    expensive - sorry i did look at his profile and know this 

many of the foreign students i studied with had a scholarship even when the family was wealthy

nhttps://www.edupass.org/paying-for-college/scholarships/databases/

then OP should hunt for foreign scholarships 

could mean coming at a later date (year)  but since OP does not have the funds at this time ,  it may be the only way to go

Most masters degrees are cash cows for the colleges. Colleges are often generous with undergrad aid, especially need based for domestics, and most PhDs are fully funded (or have TA etc positions attached). Masters are the in between ones (along with the professional graduate school degrees)  from which the colleges actually make money. So agree, foreign scholarships are the way to go. I actually thought the UK was talking about a program to provide loans for masters funding at some stage but not sure if that materialized or if foreign degrees qualify.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Most masters degrees are cash cows for the colleges. Colleges are often generous with undergrad aid, especially need based for domestics, and most PhDs are fully funded (or have TA etc positions attached). Masters are the in between ones (along with the professional graduate school degrees)  from which the colleges actually make money. So agree, foreign scholarships are the way to go. I actually thought the UK was talking about a program to provide loans for masters funding at some stage but not sure if that materialized or if foreign degrees qualify.  

they are and i paid for it

and then found out others were getting these international scholarships and spending money to boot 

problem that came up with the loan issues for foreign students was there was often no way to enforce the loan repayment if the person returned home

33 minutes ago, kris&me said:

problem that came up with the loan issues for foreign students was there was often no way to enforce the loan repayment if the person returned home

...which is why they want US co-signers! Exactly!

Timeline

Whole thing is weird, why would you want a loan denominated in a foreign currency?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

Bit spammy?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.