zochu

Australians Waiting For Interview at US Consulate Sydney

1,565 posts in this topic

Hi, did anyone have IR-1/CR-1 visa interview at Sydney- Australia in 2021? If yes, when was the interview and what was your document qualified date?

I am a green card holder and my husband is waiting for his Interview at sydney consulate. Our document completion date is June 30th 2020. Just trying to get an idea how long it will take.

thank you,

Ankita

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ankitasingh said:

Hi, did anyone have IR-1/CR-1 visa interview at Sydney- Australia in 2021? If yes, when was the interview and what was your document qualified date?

I am a green card holder and my husband is waiting for his Interview at sydney consulate. Our document completion date is June 30th 2020. Just trying to get an idea how long it will take.

thank you,

Ankita

I am waiting for my interview too at sydney consulate F2A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there everyone, 

We recently received our green card interview for my husband's IR1 and thought I'd share our timeline. We submitted our application on July 7, 2020. Our documents were qualified on December, 29 2020 and expedited to the consulate in Sydney on March 12, 2021. We then got notification to schedule our interview on April 23 and our interview is scheduled for June 9. 

Hope that helps everyone who is waiting as well. 

Question - Does anyone know of anybody with a green card and proof they're going to live having trouble getting approved for Australia's travel exemption? 

Cheers, 

Katie

19 minutes ago, KatieB said:

Hi there everyone, 

We recently received our green card interview for my husband's IR1 and thought I'd share our timeline. We submitted our application on July 7, 2020. Our documents were qualified on December, 29 2020 and expedited to the consulate in Sydney on March 12, 2021. We then got notification to schedule our interview on April 23 and our interview is scheduled for June 9. 

Question - Does anyone know of anybody with a green card and proof they're going to live having trouble getting approved for Australia's travel exemption? 

Cheers, 

Katie

Thank you for sharing your timeline Katie, that's very helpful to know. 

I haven't heard of anyone unable to leave due to the travel bans after being granted their visa. As far as I understand, the spousal visa is what grants the person an exemption to fly during the ban. But I'll let more experienced people answer that a bit better for you.

I'm wondering if the timeframe between submitting documents and being Documentarily Qualified (DQ) is the norm? 5 months? Or was that a little longer due to peak lockdowns etc?

All the best to you and your husband Katie

5 hours ago, VJ0 said:

Thank you for sharing your timeline Katie, that's very helpful to know. 

I haven't heard of anyone unable to leave due to the travel bans after being granted their visa. As far as I understand, the spousal visa is what grants the person an exemption to fly during the ban. But I'll let more experienced people answer that a bit better for you.

I'm wondering if the timeframe between submitting documents and being Documentarily Qualified (DQ) is the norm? 5 months? Or was that a little longer due to peak lockdowns etc?

All the best to you and your husband Katie

Thanks VJ0. Good to know about the travel exemption. 

Not sure about the timeframe between submitting documents and DQ unfortunately. But I think the lockdowns definitely delayed the interview. We used an attorney who, back in July, predicted we'd have a green card in hand by March. No such luck obviously. 

Thanks again and best wishes! 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, Sharni said:

We moved with just two big suit cases and a carry on each.   Unless you can find a reasonable cost to ship your things, you may be better off selling it in Aus and purchasing it again in the US.

Hi can you please guide which airlines allow two bags. because I can only see only one bag is free.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:56 PM, Rajat Patel said:

Hi can you please guide which airlines allow two bags. because I can only see only one bag is free.

Every international flight I've ever taken allows 2 bags, but I can't confirm that every airline that flies to the US allows this.  We flew with United.  Here is their page where you can calculate baggage fees.  I entered SYD to LAX and it showed there are no charges for the first and second bag.  Weight restrictions are also available on the United site.

https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage-calculator/any-flights

Good luck.

Edited by Sharni

• 2 weeks later...

Can any Australians shed some light on the negative covid test to enter into US?

Where do the test packets come from?

Where are the tests taken?

How does it all happen?

Is there any cost?

I asked my GP if I could get a test packet to keep til I need to fly - he said not to do it voluntarily as it can cost upwards of $200, and to wait until I'm asked to take one. Is this true?

Any info will be very helpful, thanks.

Edited by VJ0
edit

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, KatieB said:

Hi there everyone, 

Cheers, 

Katie

Hey!

Just wondering,  how long after April 23 did you get notifed of your interview date? I just got an email to say I'm on the waiting list and the consulate can't give any kind of time frame. I have to travel from Adelaide so the more notice I have the better.

Thank you! 

On 5/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, VJ0 said:

Can any Australians shed some light on the negative covid test to enter into US?

Where do the test packets come from?

Where are the tests taken?

How does it all happen?

Is there any cost?

I asked my GP if I could get a test packet to keep til I need to fly - he said not to do it voluntarily as it can cost upwards of $200, and to wait until I'm asked to take one. Is this true?

Any info will be very helpful, thanks.

For anyone interested - I asked this question on the VJ forum, so I'll link the replies I got there;

For covid tests 3 days before flying to US -

I went to my GP and was advised to go to QML Pathology or Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology - and to make sure it's a clinic that has the capacity to provide quick test results (within 3 - 12 hours). Otherwise it can take much longer. Not all QML and SN clinics have this capacity.

I was warned by the GP of pop-up clinics offering covid tests that don't have the facilities to test samples on-site (and need to send them to facilities) which can add a longer wait time. 

On 6/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, Naomi1984 said:

Hey!

Just wondering,  how long after April 23 did you get notifed of your interview date? I just got an email to say I'm on the waiting list and the consulate can't give any kind of time frame. I have to travel from Adelaide so the more notice I have the better.

Thank you! 

Hey there, 

We responded straight away to the April 23rd email stating we were ready to get the next available interview date. They got back to us the next day with the date of June 9th for the interview. 

Hope that helps! 

Cheers, 

Katie

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all!

My K1 visa was approved but my travel exemption request has been denied.  

Could anyone here who has successfully got the approval of travel exemption share some tips with me please? 

Thank you soooooo much!

• 2 weeks later...

So, given the lockdown in Sydney, do immigrant visa interviews just cease until it's lifted? We're about to get our Case Complete in the next couple days, and were planning to depart for LAX at the end of August. Travel exemptions from Australia already granted. I'm on a contract that ends 22 Aug. Are we kinda screwed at the moment?

On 7/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, hctiwsblade13 said:

So, given the lockdown in Sydney, do immigrant visa interviews just cease until it's lifted? We're about to get our Case Complete in the next couple days, and were planning to depart for LAX at the end of August. Travel exemptions from Australia already granted. I'm on a contract that ends 22 Aug. Are we kinda screwed at the moment?

The expedited interviews which were still happening have been cancelled, with promise to be rescheduled as first priority after the lockdowns are lifted. That's all I know at this point. I can understand your concerns! I hope it all works out for you. 

Edited by VJ0

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.