zochu

Australians Waiting For Interview at US Consulate Sydney

1,565 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Kelc said:

May I ask how you got expedited/what reason you submitted? 

My situation is a bit different, i’m a nurse on employment based sponsorship and i have a visascreen (they last for 5yrs) that’s expiring in a few mos time plus my employer requested to have my case expedited cos of severe shortage of nurses plus covid etc. Fortunately they approved it .

On 1/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, BahamaBaby said:

Hello, I’m a first time poster so please be kind :)

My husband qualified for an employment based immigrant visa (EB) and opted for consular processing. We are DQ at NVC since August 2021. We were not expecting to hear from the Sydney consulate during lockdown but when lockdown ended, there was still no contact. I’ve only just become aware of the consulate relocation/closure and that clarifies the lack of contact. 

Do you know when they might restart immigrant visa interviews? Has anyone had a similar DQ and heard from the consulate? We would just like to know if it’s weeks/months/years that we need to be prepared to wait for. 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi Bahama,

We are under similar situation where my case is DQ at January 2022. I have contacted my lawyer who mentioned possibily I am not qualified for expediting my case since I am EB series. I have sent an email to Sydney Consulor inquiry the roughly date of interview for EB catalogue while just received templated reply. 

How about your situation, have you received interview invitation?

Thanks.

@Tristan L

We are still waiting for Sydney consulate to open and request our case from NVC. As employment based visa, it is unlikely that we can receive expedite unless it’s hardship to you or your employer financially. 

from what I can see in various forums, the consulate will reopen in June this year and the backlog for cases is from June 2021 so there might be a few months wait for an interview. 

if you have the ability to transfer your files to another location (citizen of another country other than Australia) your case may receive an interview sooner as cases are scheduled in order of DQ date. 

Goodluck! 

2 hours ago, BahamaBaby said:

@Tristan L

We are still waiting for Sydney consulate to open and request our case from NVC. As employment based visa, it is unlikely that we can receive expedite unless it’s hardship to you or your employer financially. 

from what I can see in various forums, the consulate will reopen in June this year and the backlog for cases is from June 2021 so there might be a few months wait for an interview. 

if you have the ability to transfer your files to another location (citizen of another country other than Australia) your case may receive an interview sooner as cases are scheduled in order of DQ date. 

Goodluck! 

Hi Bahama,

Thanks for your update.

Yes, as EB it will be hard for us to expedite our cases.

Currently, the Consular in Melbourne is working on the Immigration Visa, do you think your case will be transferred to Melbourne and have interview there?

Good luck and hope you will receive the invitation very soon. 

@Tristan L

hi, unfortunately we cannot request a case transfer to Melb as only sydney can decide on immigrant visas. 

they are sending some cases to Melbourne for interview - but these are files received before the lockdown last June. For any cases still with NVC, they need to come to Sydney first and then Sydney will decide where to finalise the case and visa so we are at Sydney’s mercy. 

hopefully the consulate opens in June and they can clear everyone out in a few months. 

1 hour ago, BahamaBaby said:

@Tristan L

hi, unfortunately we cannot request a case transfer to Melb as only sydney can decide on immigrant visas. 

they are sending some cases to Melbourne for interview - but these are files received before the lockdown last June. For any cases still with NVC, they need to come to Sydney first and then Sydney will decide where to finalise the case and visa so we are at Sydney’s mercy. 

hopefully the consulate opens in June and they can clear everyone out in a few months. 

Hi, Bahama,

Thanks for your sharing of all the process. Previously, I think we could have the ability to choose where to finalize our interview.

Really hope they can clear the backlog asap and good luck for your interview. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:43 AM, BahamaBaby said:

Have any interviews been booked for Sydney recently? If the general plan is a may/ June reopening, I thought they might start booking appointments soon… 

Hi Bahama,

Are you still waiting for the interview? Currently, the speed is really slow. I have check the visa statistic site and found in Australia, the EB visa is still ongoing but compared with FB visa is relative small. Hope the interview will come soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.