Justin & Sara

K1-Visa Entry in the US After the Executive Order on Immigration

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
57 minutes ago, CDtalk said:

Hi Justin and Sara,

we're in the same situation as you are and have scheduled our flight to the US on first week of June. Can you please let us know what sara had to go through at the port of entry? it would mean a lot/. Thank you.

CDtalk

Hello CDtalk,

Yes I can let you know her experience through at the port of entry!

Thanks,

Justin

Timeline
On 4/26/2020 at 4:07 PM, Justin & Sara said:

Hello All,

My Fiance is coming to the US from Brazil on May 10, 2020 on a K1-visa. I called the airlines and they said her flight to still going to fly out. I wanted to know if anyone know if the K1-visa is an exception from the executive order on immigration? Meaning that this executive order does not apply to the K1-visa. 

Based on this article, it is not really clear if the K1-visa is exempted. See link below.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics/trump-executive-order-immigration-coronavirus/index.html 

Also, could you provide some proof of your responses? That would be very helpful!

Thank you so much!

Update:

So, last night my fiance's flight got canceled with American Airlines. She was going to be here on May 10 but I got my money back and rebooked a flight with United Airlines and she will be here on May 9!

Also, American Airlines canceled flights from Sao Paulo, Brazil until the first week of June.

Timeline
20 hours ago, m911 said:

Hi everyone,

I was really confused and scared myself a couple of weeks ago, before coming to the  US, so hopefully this will help to others.
I have entered the States under K1 visa, 27 of April 2020, through Chicago Airport. 
The immigration officer mentioned this travel ban and for some reason he thought that my visit is work related but then after the explanation and a bunch of questions he let me in. 

So everything should be fine with K1 holders as long as they didn't travel to Europe or China within the last 14 days.

Good luck and stay safe!

Hello m911,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm glad you very able to make it here! How was your experience with the medical exam at the airport? I heard they were doing it because of COVID-19.

Thanks,

Justin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
20 hours ago, m911 said:

Hi everyone,

I was really confused and scared myself a couple of weeks ago, before coming to the  US, so hopefully this will help to others.
I have entered the States under K1 visa, 27 of April 2020, through Chicago Airport. 
The immigration officer mentioned this travel ban and for some reason he thought that my visit is work related but then after the explanation and a bunch of questions he let me in. 

So everything should be fine with K1 holders as long as they didn't travel to Europe or China within the last 14 days.

Good luck and stay safe!

That's great to hear. I'm also planning to fly into Chicago Airport in a couple of weeks. Good to hear that they let you through with no problems! 

13 minutes ago, Justin & Sara said:

Hello m911,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm glad you very able to make it here! How was your experience with the medical exam at the airport? I heard they were doing it because of COVID-19.

Thanks,

Justin

Hey Justin,

surprisingly there were no tests at all.

They only sent me to an additional baggage check and that’s it!

There is typically a medical screening (not exam). This includes possibly taking your temperature and asking questions about symptoms.

Even the temperature one may be just via the thermal imaging areas you walkthrough upon arrival.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
11 minutes ago, m911 said:

Hey Justin,

surprisingly there were no tests at all.

They only sent me to an additional baggage check and that’s it!

Wow thank you that's good to know!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 4/30/2020 at 12:02 PM, Mark11 said:

Justin and Sara,

My Brazilian fiance' and I are in the same position (and probably many others), so with her entry to the U.S. in just 10 days from now, would you mind please re-posting after Sara has entered and let us all know how her entry process went?  I assume she'll be entering in Atlanta.  My fiance' is scheduled to arrive in early June through Chicago.

And please keep your eyes open regarding President Trump's musings about banning flights from Brazil.  Don't get caught with no way to get Sara here -- make sure she's ready to move on a moment's notice.  If a ban is announced, there will probably be a few days before it goes into effect (similar to the EU ban), so if that happens, do everything possible to get her on a flight immediately.

Good luck,

--Mark

Hello Mark,

My fiance made it here on May 9th. She said that they checked her temperature before she left Brazil. When she arrived in Houston, they didn't do any medical screen. Immigrations asked her a lot of questions about me and our relationship, then she entered in to the US.

Here are the questions that they asked her:

1. How old is your fiance?
2. Where did we meet?
3. Where are you going ?
4. What date would I get married?

5. When was the first time your fiancé went to Brazil?
6. When was the last one?
7. When did he propose to me?
8. How long have we been together?

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Justin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Justin/Sara and m911,

Thank you very much for posting your experiences -- this will be very helpful to my fiance' and others as well, I'm sure.  And thank you for posting the questions -- very useful information.

I'm very happy to hear that you both made it into the U.S. with no problems.

Good luck with your future lives together, and to Sara and m911 -- welcome to the USA -- we're glad to have you here.

--Mark (and Sandra)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline
On 4/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, Mark11 said:

Justin and Sara,

My Brazilian fiance' and I are in the same position (and probably many others), so with her entry to the U.S. in just 10 days from now, would you mind please re-posting after Sara has entered and let us all know how her entry process went?  I assume she'll be entering in Atlanta.  My fiance' is scheduled to arrive in early June through Chicago.

And please keep your eyes open regarding President Trump's musings about banning flights from Brazil.  Don't get caught with no way to get Sara here -- make sure she's ready to move on a moment's notice.  If a ban is announced, there will probably be a few days before it goes into effect (similar to the EU ban), so if that happens, do everything possible to get her on a flight immediately.

Good luck,

--Mark

just tell your fiance to just keep his or her phone she was using before because they search phones in Chicago looking for way to indite you she should be careful her social medias should be uninstalled or without no phones  wish you guys the best

Timeline
On 5/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, ECCK said:

That's great to hear. I'm also planning to fly into Chicago Airport in a couple of weeks. Good to hear that they let you through with no problems! 

I just have to ask, seeing from your profile, are you leaving Australia and landing in Chicago? If so, what airlines and did you need to fill out the exemption form in order to fly. My aussie fiance scheduled a flight June 17th through Qantas but I just called them and they said they suspended all international flights through July 2020. I am worried he will have no way to get over to America before his K1 visa expires in July.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, mandajoy98 said:

I just have to ask, seeing from your profile, are you leaving Australia and landing in Chicago? If so, what airlines and did you need to fill out the exemption form in order to fly. My aussie fiance scheduled a flight June 17th through Qantas but I just called them and they said they suspended all international flights through July 2020. I am worried he will have no way to get over to America before his K1 visa expires in July.

Hi! I was planning to go with Qatar airlines as they're still flying. Air New Zealand is also flying to the US (LAX) but there's limited flights. Can your fiance fly earlier? Qantas has just released some special flights from Melbourne to LAX. I think the last one is on the 5th or 6th June. You should try and get one of those because they're special flights subsidised by the Australian Government. And yeah, you have to apply for a waiver through home affairs. When he applies, he'll have to provide documents to prove that his moving overseas or it'll get rejected. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ECCK said:

Hi! I was planning to go with Qatar airlines as they're still flying. Air New Zealand is also flying to the US (LAX) but there's limited flights. Can your fiance fly earlier? Qantas has just released some special flights from Melbourne to LAX. I think the last one is on the 5th or 6th June. You should try and get one of those because they're special flights subsidised by the Australian Government. And yeah, you have to apply for a waiver through home affairs. When he applies, he'll have to provide documents to prove that his moving overseas or it'll get rejected. 

Thank you Thank you! I just called Qantas and they did mention the MEL to LAX flights that are arranged by the government but the agent didnt go into much detail. I have been trying to get information online but I cant find much. I just sent my fiance the waiver application so he can leave the country, gosh i love when a pandemic makes long distance 10x harder haha

Timeline
4 minutes ago, mandajoy98 said:

Thank you Thank you! I just called Qantas and they did mention the MEL to LAX flights that are arranged by the government but the agent didnt go into much detail. I have been trying to get information online but I cant find much. I just sent my fiance the waiver application so he can leave the country, gosh i love when a pandemic makes long distance 10x harder haha

I know!! I feel for you - all our plans have been thrown out the window! Here is the detail on the Qantas page (near the middle): https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/travel-updates/coronavirus/qantas-international-network-changes/additional-services.html I think you can just book them normally. They're pretty affordable but I think the catch is that they're full service. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.