Justin & Sara

K1-Visa Entry in the US After the Executive Order on Immigration

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mark11 said:

HRQX,

You're absolutely right!  We initiated the "Grab-toothbrush-and-go" plan immediately.  She quit her job about 6 hours ago, threw stuff into a suitcase and will be on the one and only flight out of her city tomorrow morning (monday) to Sao Paulo airport.  Then she'll grab an 11:30 PM flight from Sao Paulo to Houston, arriving in Houston at 7:00 am Tuesday morning.  I'll meet her in Houston.  A total mess at her end -- loose ends everywhere.   She's frazzled to say the least.

--Mark

Hello @Mark11

Wow I'm so glad your fiance was able to do this! I wish you all the best and hope she gets here with no problems.

20 hours ago, HRQX said:

Find a way earlier flight; like leaving ASAP. New Proclamation: "This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on May 28, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on May 28, 2020."

This has been moved up to tomorrow, per latest reports. I am trying to find the official documentation right now, but it appears to be legit.

Edit: Just posted: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-amendment-proclamation-president-may-24-2020/

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

21 hours ago, Mark11 said:

arriving in Houston at 7:00 am Tuesday morning.

Good choice, because the new effective time is Tuesday night:

55 minutes ago, geowrian said:

This has been moved up to tomorrow, per latest reports. I am trying to find the official documentation right now, but it appears to be legit.

Edit: Just posted: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-amendment-proclamation-president-may-24-2020/

Edited by HRQX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi All,

I  hope everyone was able to get a flight and make it into the US before the deadline.  As I mentioned above, my --- now WIFE -- barely made it, and she had to leave a complete bureaucratic mess in brazil --- so we understand everyone's troubles.  The lights and water are still on (active) in her apartment, she wasn't able to do the final income tax settlement necessary for when you exit the country, her dental work is not done, and her apartment has to be painted (required when you exit a lease).  And she left a pile of belongings at her sister's house.  So a total mess.  But she's here.  She arrived Tuesday morning, we got the marriage license on Wednesday, and got married on Thursday.   A whirlwind -- and a culture shock for Sandra.

For what it's worth, immigration in Houston was very smooth.  They had a Portuguese-speaking interpreter and were very respectful and welcomed her to the USA.  Only a few simple, easy questions.  I was waiting outside customs, and I would estimate her immigration interview took about 15 minutes.

And for those Brazilians that didn't make it -- you still have options, but it's more hassle and money.  For example, you could fly to Mexico City, stay there for 15 days (to be sure) in an inexpensive hotel, and then fly into Houston. 

Good luck everyone.

--Mark and Sandra

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.