carlinhoswave

Basic Combat Training - Naturalization?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I enlisted in the Army National Guard on April 15, 2020 and I'm getting shipped out on June 3rd, 2020. My recruiter keeps telling me that I need to have my N-400 and N-426 on me when I get to the base because they will start the process right away. With that being said, she said I will be naturalized by the time I graduate Basic Combat Training (BCT). I'm so lost because I keep finding conflicting information out there. Some say it is correct and others says it is not due to the new policy changes in October, 2017. I tried to search here but I can't see any new post from 2020.  Does anyone know something new about it? I'm so sad about all of that.  Today I called USCIS and the agent confirmed me that I can apply right away when I get there. Well, I'm still unsure and I just don't want to go though that "hurry up and wait game" again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 minute ago, carlinhoswave said:

Hi everyone,

I enlisted in the Army National Guard on April 15, 2020 and I'm getting shipped out on June 3rd, 2020. My recruiter keeps telling me that I need to have my N-400 and N-426 on me when I get to the base because they will start the process right away. With that being said, she said I will be naturalized by the time I graduate Basic Combat Training (BCT). I'm so lost because I keep finding conflicting information out there. Some say it is correct and others says it is not due to the new policy changes in October, 2017. I tried to search here but I can't see any new post from 2020.  Does anyone know something new about it? I'm so sad about all of that.  Today I called USCIS and the agent confirmed me that I can apply right away when I get there. Well, I'm still unsure and I just don't want to go though that "hurry up and wait game" again. 

There used to be a time when this was true. You only need one day of active duty to be eligible for military naturalization.  I went through basic training in 2017, turned in my N400 and N426 at reception before the start of training and I was naturalized on family day (a day before graduation). The policy was changed like a year or 2 years ago (sorry I can’t remember precisely when). Now all military member should have served 100 days (maybe 180) of active duty to be eligible for military naturalization. With that being said, it doesn’t hurt to have your N400 and N426 on you when you leave for training just in case but you will most likely not be naturalized in basic training. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ashmed246 said:

There used to be a time when this was true. You only need one day of active duty to be eligible for military naturalization.  I went through basic training in 2017, turned in my N400 and N426 at reception before the start of training and I was naturalized on family day (a day before graduation). The policy was changed like a year or 2 years ago (sorry I can’t remember precisely when). Now all military member should have served 100 days (maybe 180) of active duty to be eligible for military naturalization. With that being said, it doesn’t hurt to have your N400 and N426 on you when you leave for training just in case but you will most likely not be naturalized in basic training. 

Hey Ashmed246, thank you so much for replying. I'm so sad with this new information, I'm so frustrated because I'm literally reading more and more at this moment. The official document from the USCIS website shows that Section 329 of the INA (Service During Hostilities) allows us to do that right away. As I said before, I called them this morning and they also confirmed it will happen right away. Is it normal to have this conflict? I just wanted to believe I could have after BCT. Wow, I guess I will have to use my experience from prior process to just calm down and wait forever again. At this point, there is not much I can do!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, carlinhoswave said:

Hey Ashmed246, thank you so much for replying. I'm so sad with this new information, I'm so frustrated because I'm literally reading more and more at this moment. The official document from the USCIS website shows that Section 329 of the INA (Service During Hostilities) allows us to do that right away. As I said before, I called them this morning and they also confirmed it will happen right away. Is it normal to have this conflict? I just wanted to believe I could have after BCT. Wow, I guess I will have to use my experience from prior process to just calm down and wait forever again. At this point, there is not much I can do!

I understand that section 329 of the INA does not really specify how many days of active duty service is considered for military naturalization, this is because the required 180 days of active duty service is a DoD policy and not a uscis policy. This is needed before your N426 (Certification of honorable service) can be certified. I hope the attached image can clear things up. Are you a conditional resident or a Legal Permanent resident? Good luck on your Army Journey. 

B34F4ABB-B6BC-4FFE-90C5-361CD88D25A5.png

19 minutes ago, carlinhoswave said:

Your recruiter must be thinking about the defunct MAVNI program. Because you can not file for expedited naturalization until after serving 180 days. 

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/financial-legal/legal/citizenship-and-immigration/us-citizenship-through-military-service

39 minutes ago, carlinhoswave said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry but you are joining the military and the hurry up and wait game happens all the time.

Also do not post more than one post per topic. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
17 minutes ago, ashmed246 said:

I understand that section 329 of the INA does not really specify how many days of active duty service is considered for military naturalization, this is because the required 180 days of active duty service is a DoD policy and not a uscis policy. This is needed before your N426 (Certification of honorable service) can be certified. I hope the attached image can clear things up. Are you a conditional resident or a Legal Permanent resident? Good luck on your Army Journey. 

B34F4ABB-B6BC-4FFE-90C5-361CD88D25A5.png

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it! Now everything is clarified.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, MotherofDragons said:

National Guard isn't active duty though... do you still qualify? Just wondering. 

When you are in training such as BCT and AIT you are considered Active Duty.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, carlinhoswave said:

When you are in training such as BCT and AIT you are considered Active Duty.

Are you sure? Why don't NG and Reservists get post-9/11 G.I Bill if they technically did 90 days active duty at BCT and AIT continous? I think you may not have all the facts.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, carlinhoswave said:

Well, I'm still unsure and I just don't want to go though that "hurry up and wait game" again. 

Hehehehehehehe better get used to the hurry up and wait the Army is famous for it, that has not changed in over 200 years!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline

Military Personnel and Veterans Can Now File Their Form N-400, Naturalization Application, Online

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/military-personnel-and-veterans-can-now-file-their-form-n-400-naturalization-application-online

• 7 months later...

What was the conclusion of your process? Since your original post, alot has changed and NG Soldiers are allowed to get N426 completed once they enlist, before they even attend BCT. 

K1 Process 192 Days (From Mailing to POE)

Spoiler

08-17-2018 Mailed I-129F to Dallas, TX

08-20-2018 Delivered to Dallas, TX

08-23-2018 USCIS Text and email with Receipt #

08-27-2018 Received NOA1 Hard Copy

11-21-2018 CFO Interview- Passed. Received certificate and Receipt.

01-11-2019 Approved I129F. Received Text and Email. 

01-14-2019 NOA2 Hard Copy received- Stated Received date as 20Aug18, and NOA2 date as 10Jan19. DS-160 Submitted

01-25-2019 NVC Case Number by phone.

01-28-2019 Paid Visa Fee at BPI

01-29-2019 Scheduled Interview

02-05-2019 Case "In Transit" from NVC to USEM Philippines

02-07-2019 “Case Ready” at NVC 

02-08-2019 Received NVC Letter email

02-12-2019 Completed Medical

02-14-2019 Interview Passed

02-15-2019 Case Immigrant "Administrative Processing"

02-25-2019 Case “Nonimmigrant Administrative Processing”

02-27-2019 Visa Issued

03-04-2019 Visa On Hand

03-06-2019 CFO Sticker received

03-07-2019 POE Atlanta 

AOS Process

Spoiler

05-03-2019 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

05-07-2019 Packet arrived to USCIS

05-28-2019 AOS Fee Charged to Card

05-29-2019 NOA Date

06-03-2019 Received NOA Receipts

06-07-2019 Biometrics Letter

06-17-2019 Biometrics appointment

08-07-2019 Ready to schedule interview

08-27-2019 Interview Scheduled

09-03-2019 Interview letter received.

09-18-2019 EAD Card in production 

09-19-2019 AP Approved

09-23-2019 EAD Card mailed

09-30-2019 EAD Card received 

10-04-2019 Interview passed/Card in production

Timeline
On 12/6/2020 at 7:11 PM, BB Family said:

What was the conclusion of your process? Since your original post, alot has changed and NG Soldiers are allowed to get N426 completed once they enlist, before they even attend BCT. 

Hey BB,

I'm literally checking my process right now and what happened was I went to Basic and AIT without nothing and graduated on November 13th. They told me in the base they don't do that anymore, which I was cool with it. As soon as I left the base, on November 17th, 2020, I filled the process by myself and submitted. TODAY, I just got a RFE requesting me to take my N-426 to my base and certify it. The thing is, NG members once they leave the status of active duty, they go to status of reserves component and that is the reason why we get the DD-214. I LITERALLY sent an email to USCIS asking about this confusion and if I can send my DD-214 instead of going to my NG unit and asking them to certify.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, carlinhoswave said:

Hey BB,

I'm literally checking my process right now and what happened was I went to Basic and AIT without nothing and graduated on November 13th. They told me in the base they don't do that anymore, which I was cool with it. As soon as I left the base, on November 17th, 2020, I filled the process by myself and submitted. TODAY, I just got a RFE requesting me to take my N-426 to my base and certify it. The thing is, NG members once they leave the status of active duty, they go to status of reserves component and that is the reason why we get the DD-214. I LITERALLY sent an email to USCIS asking about this confusion and if I can send my DD-214 instead of going to my NG unit and asking them to certify.

This will not be possible. Because you are currently in the service you must get the N-426 certified. Submitting a DD-214 is only for individuals submitting their application because of "prior service." You will need to get this form certified by an O-6. 

I-751

7/14/20 - Application mailed.

7/17/20 - Application received.

7/24/20 - Text notification received with a WAC number.
7/31/20 - 797 received. Printed on 7/26/20.

1/06/21 - Case transferred.

1/13/21 - Received transfer notice in mail.

1/21/21 - Biometrics applied.

1/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

2/11/21 - Called for an update on my case and was told file is in local office.

2/26/21 - Received interview notice. Printed on 2/22/21.

N-400 - Military Service Based

1/12/21 - Application submitted online; Application received.

1/13/21 - Received IOE electronic receipt notice via email; Biometrics walk-in; Case status changed to "Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS."

1/19/21 - Received paper receipt notice in the mail.

1/22/21 - Received email from USCIS that a new receipt notice will be issued due to an error on the previous one.

1/26/21 - New receipt notice posted on my online account. 
2/01/21 - New receipt notice arrived in mail. 

2/11/21 - Called for an update on my case and was told file is in local office.

2/19/21 - Case status changed to Interview scheduled.

2/22/21 - Interview notice posted on my online account.

2/26/21 - Received paper interview notice in mail.

3/16/21 - Biometrics Reuse notice posted online.

3/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

3/30/21 - N-400 approved; Same-day oath ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.