adar24

SSN Card after arrival - not received more than 1 month later (IR5 visa)

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Hello - 

My parents entered the US on IR5 (Immigrant Visa) on 15-March through San Francisco Airport. We were expecting their SSN Card to arrive in 3 weeks after their arrival. They had requested the SSN on DS260 form, so as we understand no separate application is necessary. Some delay due to the Covid-19 situation is expected, but it has been past 4 weeks now. Under normal circumstances, I would have been able to enquire at the local SSN Office, but those offices are closed due to Covid-19. I called the SSN general number and after a long wait reached an agent who did not have much knowledge about IR5 visa (Parents of US Citizen) and its eligibility to obtain a SSN card. The agent said it will only arrive after the green card will arrive, but from reading previous posts, I know that the SSN card typically arrives within 10-15 business days whereas the green card arrives in 4 months or so. She also asked me about work eligibility. I believe IR5 parents are eligible to work and therefore eligible for SSN.  

What has been the experience of others whose parents have recently entered into the US? Have your parents received SSN cards? 

Appreciate the help.

All agencies are super backlogged now due to the virus, there is nothing you can do except waiting for it to be over. 

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

8 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

All agencies are super backlogged now due to the virus, there is nothing you can do except waiting for it to be over. 

Thanks! I appreciate and understand the backlog. I should have asked the question: should IR5 (parents of US citizens) expect to receive a SSN card (even if delayed)? The agent I called gave confusing information saying maybe they don't receive a card at all. 

Do they recall of choosing the option "SSN card" when they were filling out the DS-260 online? If they didn't check that option, they need to go to a nearby SSA office when everything open again. 

N400

2 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Do they recall of choosing the option "SSN card" when they were filling out the DS-260 online? If they didn't check that option, they need to go to a nearby SSA office when everything open again. 

Yes, they certainly have checked the option for SSN card on DS-260 when they filed that form. They took a printout of the submission and it is checked. So, should they receive it in mail - even if it might be a few more weeks/months from now? 

2 minutes ago, adar24 said:

Yes, they certainly have checked the option for SSN card on DS-260 when they filed that form. They took a printout of the submission and it is checked. So, should they receive it in mail - even if it might be a few more weeks/months from now? 

Yes, just the matter of time. If they can't wait, they can also come in person when they open again.

N400

2 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Yes, just the matter of time. If they can't wait, they can also come in person when they open again.

Alright. Thanks for the response. Good to know that we were not wrong in expecting it to be mailed, just that it is delayed. We will wait. Will post here when they receive it as it may help someone else in this situation.

Will appreciate if others who have received SSN cards for IR5 confirm. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doesn't matter nor does the SSA discriminate against any flavor of IR immigrant.   They are all granted LPR status upon entry and are eligible for SSN.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

You can call your local office to see if they can help you, but they will probably tell you to wait until they’re open again to apply in person unless you really need it now, then they may give you options to apply. Some people do get the SSN card in the mail when they apply via DS260, but some don’t. That’s just how it is unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Doesn't matter nor does the SSA discriminate against any flavor of IR immigrant.   They are all granted LPR status upon entry and are eligible for SSN.

Also my first thought, OP you may have just inadvertently confused the agent you spoke to with talk of parents and IR5, it’s irrelevant what type of immigrant visa it was. A simple enquiry about new immigrants and whether they are all facing a delay or not (in the latter case you know you’d need to follow up) is probably what you should do...if you can get hold of someone again. 
We do occasionally see people who have checked the SSN box on the DS260 not get their cards and have to go to a SSA office, so if there is a hitch like that you can’t resolve it until the offices open again anyway.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also my first thought, OP you may have just inadvertently confused the agent you spoke to with talk of parents and IR5, it’s irrelevant what type of immigrant visa it was. A simple enquiry about new immigrants and whether they are all facing a delay or not (in the latter case you know you’d need to follow up) is probably what you should do...if you can get hold of someone again. 
We do occasionally see people who have checked the SSN box on the DS260 not get their cards and have to go to a SSA office, so if there is a hitch like that you can’t resolve it until the offices open again anyway.

Yes, very likely I confused the agent. I told her that it was an immigrant visa. The agent kept asking for some documentation that they are eligible for SSN. :) Anyway, will try calling again to see if there is a delay. In any case, will wait as there really is no other option at least until offices open. Thank you everyone for reassuring us. Strange times with the Covid-19 situation. Stay safe. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN from Bringing Family of USC - the topic is SSN~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

We have a CR1 visa, but we're in the same boat.  My husband entered via LA on March 21, and we absolutely checked the box to have the SSN issued.  Three weeks and still no sign of receiving a SSN soon.  I've been checking the SAVE Case Check website almost every day.  His info (alien # or passport) can't even be found.  It's very concerning, but I have to trust the process will work for now, since I can't do much more at this point.  I'll wait another 2 weeks and then try calling.  I'm anxious to get his SSN, so I can file my 2019 taxes.

Our ROC story so far...
1/3/2022: I-751 sent via USPS Priority Mail; delivered to Phoenix Lockbox 1/5
1/6/2022: CC processed for filing and biometric fees
1/7/2022: Received receipt # via text
1/15/2022:  Received NOA and 24-month extension letter
1/22/2022:  Received biometrics appointment letter
2/8/2022:  Biometrics appointment
10/2/2023:  SURPRISE!  We received the I-751 approval letter and 10-year green card without an interview.  

14 hours ago, erzengel said:

We have a CR1 visa, but we're in the same boat.  My husband entered via LA on March 21, and we absolutely checked the box to have the SSN issued.  Three weeks and still no sign of receiving a SSN soon.  I've been checking the SAVE Case Check website almost every day.  His info (alien # or passport) can't even be found.  It's very concerning, but I have to trust the process will work for now, since I can't do much more at this point.  I'll wait another 2 weeks and then try calling.  I'm anxious to get his SSN, so I can file my 2019 taxes.

Hopefully it is a temporary delay due to this temporary (fingers crossed) situation. I will let you know if there is any progress on our side, will you please do the same?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.