adar24

SSN Card after arrival - not received more than 1 month later (IR5 visa)

80 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, adar24 said:

Hello - 

My parents entered the US on IR5 (Immigrant Visa) on 15-March through San Francisco Airport. We were expecting their SSN Card to arrive in 3 weeks after their arrival. They had requested the SSN on DS260 form, so as we understand no separate application is necessary. Some delay due to the Covid-19 situation is expected, but it has been past 4 weeks now. Under normal circumstances, I would have been able to enquire at the local SSN Office, but those offices are closed due to Covid-19. I called the SSN general number and after a long wait reached an agent who did not have much knowledge about IR5 visa (Parents of US Citizen) and its eligibility to obtain a SSN card. The agent said it will only arrive after the green card will arrive, but from reading previous posts, I know that the SSN card typically arrives within 10-15 business days whereas the green card arrives in 4 months or so. She also asked me about work eligibility. I believe IR5 parents are eligible to work and therefore eligible for SSN.  

What has been the experience of others whose parents have recently entered into the US? Have your parents received SSN cards? 

Appreciate the help.

Even if box was checked, there is a 50 percent chance that it will not be mailed out. Since the SS offices are closed anyway there is nothing you can do but wait.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

I'm in the same boat. Parents arrived March 16th. No SSNs yet. Strangely enough, the officer at JFK did not take their packets. Is this normal?

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

3 hours ago, adar24 said:

Hopefully it is a temporary delay due to this temporary (fingers crossed) situation. I will let you know if there is any progress on our side, will you please do the same?

Will do!  Good luck.  

Our ROC story so far...
1/3/2022: I-751 sent via USPS Priority Mail; delivered to Phoenix Lockbox 1/5
1/6/2022: CC processed for filing and biometric fees
1/7/2022: Received receipt # via text
1/15/2022:  Received NOA and 24-month extension letter
1/22/2022:  Received biometrics appointment letter
2/8/2022:  Biometrics appointment
10/2/2023:  SURPRISE!  We received the I-751 approval letter and 10-year green card without an interview.  

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 4/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, mrsalfayad said:

I'm in the same boat. Parents arrived March 16th. No SSNs yet. Strangely enough, the officer at JFK did not take their packets. Is this normal?

Hmm. My parent's packets were taken by the officer. Not sure what to make of the JFK officer not taking them. 

On 4/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, mrsalfayad said:

If you mean their visa packets, no it’s not normal. Those are meant to go into the A file. Suggest you take them to a deferred inspection point once the lockdown is over.  Not everyone gets physical packets anymore, so just in case check there is no annotation on the visa saying “IV docs in CCD”, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting both physical and electronic. 
however... if you mean the medical packets with the xrays, which it seems is what some people refer to when they say “packets”, then yes it’s normal and no worry.

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

If you mean their visa packets, no it’s not normal. Those are meant to go into the A file. Suggest you take them to a deferred inspection point once the lockdown is over.  Not everyone gets physical packets anymore, so just in case check there is no annotation on the visa saying “IV docs in CCD”, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting both physical and electronic. 
however... if you mean the medical packets with the xrays, which it seems is what some people refer to when they say “packets”, then yes it’s normal and no worry.

The Xray CDs were given back to my parents by the officer at port of entry, but the entire unopened packet was taken. SusieQQQ has good advice on what you might want to do . 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I am in the same situation I arrived into the country March 14 and still have not received my SSN card, I called my local office and they said it's not new for them to get these inquiries that only 50% of the times it works when you check the box on the DS260.. they also said there isn't much I can do but to wait since all office are closed around the country.. that if I did not get the SSN card within 3 weeks I am not gonna get it, I need to go personally to an office once its open.

My 2cents!

Edited by tonyzg97

I don’t believe that 50% number or we would see way more complaints of this nature all the time... that said,  I must say we have seen a big increase in these complaints recently...I think it’s something to do with the covid shutdown.

Timeline

@susieQQQ

I would not be able to confirm if the statistic is true or not but that's what the agent over the phone informed me, I would be a lot happier if he is incorrect, though.

Update: My parents' GCs have arrived - mom's arrived on Friday (24-April) and dad's today (Monday, 27-April) - so that's 6 weeks from their entry into the US. No sign of SSN cards yet. Likely will have to go into the SSA office once the lockdown is lifted. Will update if we see any other movement. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, adar24 said:

Update: My parents' GCs have arrived - mom's arrived on Friday (24-April) and dad's today (Monday, 27-April) - so that's 6 weeks from their entry into the US. No sign of SSN cards yet. Likely will have to go into the SSA office once the lockdown is lifted. Will update if we see any other movement. 

May I ask when did you or your parents paid for the GCs? I am still waiting for mine to arrive and I got into the country March 14th..I did paid them Feb 25th.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, tonyzg97 said:

May I ask when did you or your parents paid for the GCs? I am still waiting for mine to arrive and I got into the country March 14th..I did paid them Feb 25th.

Thanks

Hi - the payment was done last year. Their arrival had been delayed due to some personal reasons.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, adar24 said:

Hi - the payment was done last year. Their arrival had been delayed due to some personal reasons.

Thanks, that is probably it, they paid theirs way before me thats why they got them earlier, I will keep waiting.

Thanks again!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

To provide some data point.

My wife immigrated 3 weeks ago on April 8, she had her SSN in the mail within 7 business days. She came on a wednesday and had the SSN following thursday in the mailbox. Fastest I think it has ever been.

We just selected to get it mailed on the DS-260 and did not go to any other office.

The name was misspelt and we have mailed in the SS-5 for correction to our local office and awaiting the new card.

Also already mailed in the ITIN to SSN transfer to IRS and awaiting acknowledgement on that too.

Also the SSN offices are processing forms if you send via mail. Just send the SS-5 filled form along with a copy of passport and greencard to you local office and wait. Just probably need 2 envelops and 2 stamps.

Edited by saladboye

On 4/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, saladboye said:

To provide some data point.

My wife immigrated 3 weeks ago on April 8, she had her SSN in the mail within 7 business days. She came on a wednesday and had the SSN following thursday in the mailbox. Fastest I think it has ever been.

We just selected to get it mailed on the DS-260 and did not go to any other office.

The name was misspelt and we have mailed in the SS-5 for correction to our local office and awaiting the new card.

Also already mailed in the ITIN to SSN transfer to IRS and awaiting acknowledgement on that too.

Also the SSN offices are processing forms if you send via mail. Just send the SS-5 filled form along with a copy of passport and greencard to you local office and wait. Just probably need 2 envelops and 2 stamps.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know re. the SS-5 via mail, but I am not sure we can apply for a new card while we are waiting on the one applied via DS-260 to arrive. We will wait a week or so more, then figure out  what to do. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.