adar24

SSN Card after arrival - not received more than 1 month later (IR5 visa)

80 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:14 PM, Pavli said:

Similar experience here. I arrived nearly 4 weeks ago and have not received my ssn.

I called the central ssa office last week and they were able to confirm they had not received my file from uscis yet (they checked using my name and date of entry). I then called uscis to check,  and they told me it'd be forwarded to the ssa this week.

If yours is delayed,  try checking uscis what the status is on their end. I obviously don't have mine yet, so can't confirm if the information I received was accurate, but it may help.

Just out of curiosity, did you receive your ssn yet? My husband has been here three weeks now and hasn’t received anything, so just curious about others. 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We got stuck with the same situation. We requested SSN with DS260 application.

Arrived 3 weeks ago by IR-1 visa, didn't receive a card.

Called 2 local offices, one told you can't get a ssn without green card, another told us they can not find us in their database that means we need to schedule an in person appointment for the interview, but those appointments are scheduled only if you really need it. Giving an example that if you are enrolling in insurance or getting a job, an insurance company or employer can request a SSN and that can be a reason for an interview.

And the third phone call told us it might take up to 8 weeks to transfer data from DHS to SSA so just wait. 

I think checking with USCIS seems like a good idea.

Any updates so far with getting their SSN recently after such issue? 

I-130
Sent: 12/10/2018 
Delivered: 12/12/2018
NOA1: 12/12/2018 (LIN)

NOA2:  09/25/2019

Sent to NVC: 10/07/2019

Case number assigned and received: 11/05/2019

Fees paid: 11/07/2019

IV changes to paid: 11/12/2019

AOS changed to paid: 11/20/2019 (after calling NVC)

DQ 02/27/2020

Interview: 06/30/2020

Approved: 07/02/2020 (Medical exam delay)

Visa received: 07/10/2020

I-129f

Sent: 08/30/2019

NOA1: 09/03/2019(LIN)

NOA2 denied 09/25/2019

• 7 months later...

My MIL entered to the US about a month or so now, no green card, no SSN. Is there somewhere I can check?

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone! Just so you know, tomorrow will be the day when 8 weeks will pass after being in ss office. I signed a form to get a new ss card on September 24th, 2021 and still got no news. Will call them, but i guess we all have to wait. Good luck!

On 11/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, ARJey said:

Hello everyone! Just so you know, tomorrow will be the day when 8 weeks will pass after being in ss office. I signed a form to get a new ss card on September 24th, 2021 and still got no news. Will call them, but i guess we all have to wait. Good luck!

Hi ,

I am wondering if you have had any luck in getting your SSN yet?

I am in a similar situation waiting and nothing has turned up yet. I'm not sure how long I should wait before contacting the local office. 🤔

On 6/24/2021 at 6:40 AM, Jho369 said:

My MIL entered to the US about a month or so now, no green card, no SSN. Is there somewhere I can check?

Hi, Did your MIL end up receiving her SSN? Were you able to check anywhere online or did you have to contact them ? I am waiting too and not sure how long to hang out before I contact them. 

3 minutes ago, Immi_Enthusiast said:

Hi, Did your MIL end up receiving her SSN? Were you able to check anywhere online or did you have to contact them ? I am waiting too and not sure how long to hang out before I contact them. 

Yes she did. We went to a local SSN office and reapplied but that still took a couple months. They said the homeland security needs to release the hold for unknown reason. If you never went to your local SSN office, they will tell you to reapply like they did for me. I had to call them every week. It’s not an easy task to call someone there and talk to a real person.

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

4 minutes ago, Jho369 said:

Yes she did. We went to a local SSN office and reapplied but that still took a couple months. They said the homeland security needs to release the hold for unknown reason. If you never went to your local SSN office, they will tell you to reapply like they did for me. I had to call them every week. It’s not an easy task to call someone there and talk to a real person.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Sounds like it would be best that I visit the local office well and try to get it sorted out. I was hoping it would all go smoothly without any delays or hitches, but that was probably just wishful thinking. 🤦‍♀️ 

Hello guys. I can tell now - my case is nothing but a comedy. I have applied for ss card on september 24th, and yesterday i received a notice from ssa stating that ,,you applied for ss card on october 25th. You should have your card in about two weeks." 

Guess what - no card yet. On Monday i called them, and they said that i should get it next week. Lets see how this will go from here. Cheers!

5 hours ago, ARJey said:

Got my social security today. Im happy, but it took too long. Make sure to have your name on mailbox, especially those living in apartments. Good luck, fellas!

Hey Well done! Wow 🙄 What a comedy show but you finally got it! Thanks for following up and letting us know. It's obviously just hit and miss. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.