Mudlood_nz

Stimulus payment for K1 visa holder

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi, I've been in the USA since 12th of October 2019, I enter on a K1 visa, my wife and I got married in December 2019, I have since been issued work Authorization and a social security number.

I have not statted working yet, but I have work lined up, but with the Covid19 issues, work will not start for me untill everything starts back up, so this leaves me with no work and money untill then. My wife works, and earns good money, shes still working as her occupation is classed as essential.

My question is, will I be getting a Stimulus cheque? I'm here legally, legal to work, have jumped through all the hoops to be here, now I cant work like ever other authorized person in America.

Would love to know your thoughts.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mudlood_nz said:

Hi, I've been in the USA since 12th of October 2019, I enter on a K1 visa, my wife and I got married in December 2019, I have since been issued work Authorization and a social security number.

I have not statted working yet, but I have work lined up, but with the Covid19 issues, work will not start for me untill everything starts back up, so this leaves me with no work and money untill then. My wife works, and earns good money, shes still working as her occupation is classed as essential.

My question is, will I be getting a Stimulus cheque? I'm here legally, legal to work, have jumped through all the hoops to be here, now I cant work like ever other authorized person in America.

Did you file your 2019 tax return?

YMMV

31 minutes ago, Mudlood_nz said:

I have not started working yet, but I have work lined up, but with the Covid19 issues, work will not start for me until everything starts back up, so this leaves me with no work and money until then. My wife works, and earns good money, she's still working as her occupation is classed as essential.

My question is, will I be getting a Stimulus cheque? I'm here legally, legal to work, have jumped through all the hoops to be here, now I can't work like every other authorized person in America.

If you filed taxes as a single payer or you and your wife filed married jointly for 2019 you will receive the stimulus payout. The simple onus for receiving the stimulus is based solely on the tax filing.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I have not filed my tax returns since I've been in the USA as ive not been working, but I did joined my wife recently to her accounts for her tax returns, we didnt file taxes together but my details and social security numbers where entered on her tax return.

Not sure if that will help me out any?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mudlood_nz said:

I have not filed my tax returns since I've been in the USA as ive not been working, but I did joined my wife recently to her accounts for her tax returns, we didnt file taxes together but my details and social security numbers where entered on her tax return.

So your wife filed a married return?  If so,  then that's all you need to do.  Now you wait. 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, Mudlood_nz said:

It sounds like she filed jointly which in your case will allow you to receive the stimulus. Ask her if she filed jointly and that will be your answer.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

You will qualify for the tax credit on your 2020 taxes.

If you filed 2019 taxes already and it was filed jointly using an SSN, then you will be included in the advance rebate.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mudlood_nz said:

Stimulus payment is based on the 2018 tax return if the 2019 return is not filed and processed by the time payments are issued.

From your description, your wife filed Married Filing Separately for 2018 tax year. She can get $1200 based on that. You did not file in 2018, so no $1200 for you based on 2018 filing.

If you file a joint 2019 return immediately, then maybe it would make it in time for that return to to trigger $1200 for each of you because you are filing when it is a joint return. But it may be too late. They have not announced a cut-off. 

If you don’t make the cutoff, then when you file your 2020 joint return next year they will issue your $1200 stimulus then.

So yes you will get a stimulus by filing a tax return but it may not be in the early payouts.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, geowrian said:

You will qualify for the tax credit on your 2020 taxes.

If you filed 2019 taxes already and it was filed jointly using an SSN, then you will be included in the advance rebate.

Correct, Married couples who filed jointly on their last tax return will receive a $2400 payment.

Doesn't seem right to me though, since he had no income whatsoever and paid nothing in taxes, but that's America. 

1 minute ago, nykolos said:

Correct, Married couples who filed jointly on their last tax return will receive a $2400 payment.

Doesn't seem right to me though, since he had no income whatsoever and paid nothing in taxes, but that's America.

Well, he did pay in taxes. It's a joint return - the income and taxes are shared jointly.

Same goes for a housewife/househusband.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

This isn't right, he didn't marry until December 2019.

You are correct. I got my years all mixed up. Thank you. 
It sounds to me like the 2019 was already filed and probably the wife separately and he is just listed by name and SSN where a MFS return asks for identity of the other spouse. That case, he did not file and no $1200 for him will be generated for early payout. But since it’s a 2020 stimulus, he should get his part when the return for 2020 tax year is filed. 

Timeline

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I spoke to my wife, she wont be getting a stimulus payment herself as she earns over the threshold, when she did her tax returns I was only entered on her form as her spouse with my ssn number, there was no tax return for me.

I will be filing my first tax return for 2020 in 2021, I will be filing as married, but separately.

Once again, thanks to all on this topic. Keep safe out there.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Mudlood_nz said:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I spoke to my wife, she wont be getting a stimulus payment herself as she earns over the threshold, when she did her tax returns I was only entered on her form as her spouse with my ssn number, there was no tax return for me.

I will be filing my first tax return for 2020 in 2021, I will be filing as married, but separately.

Once again, thanks to all on this topic. Keep safe out there.

If she added your name and SSN, it's your return as well. So you filed taxes last year. (At least the form is pretty clear when it says to only add the name of the spouse if filing jointly).

Ask her if the she selected Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If she did select Jointly, and she made less than 150k last year, then you guys are going to receive 2400.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.