19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I just got a RFE about my birth certificate. 😕  I sent an Original long-form (in french) and the translation i did.
RFE  asking for the "long-form" but i already provided the "long form" (intégral birth certificate)

Can it be only because of the translation ? (not certifed by a certifed translator)

I'm thinking to send : 
An original + a certified translation

And as second proof of evidence : 
- An original church record + certified translation
- A letter from an authority (the mayor of my previous city in France), certifying my : date of birth, place of birth, parents names

What do you think about that ? 

Thank you

Take a look at this.  Your answer is here. If you submit any other records that are not as per the standard here they will RFE 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/France.html

Also you dont need to send originals. it wont make it more authentic if is not per format 

Edited by Donald120383

duh

I already sent the Original "acte de naissance, copie intégrale" + translation (i did the translation, following the USCIS recommendations)   ( i can have as much birth certificate I want in France, so I always send the original) 

Maybe it is just because the translation was not certified by a certified translator ?? 

I don't know what I can do  😕 , really need help

Edited by sebpercu

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
57 minutes ago, sebpercu said:

I already sent the Original "acte de naissance, copie intégrale" + translation (i did the translation, following the USCIS recommendations)   ( i can have as much birth certificate I want in France, so I always send the original) 

Maybe it is just because the translation was not certified by a certified translator ?? 

I don't know what I can do  😕 , really need help

The definition of "Certified" when it comes to translation of documents for USCIS implies that anyone with a sound understanding of the English and the foreign language in question is sufficient. It is not the same as say situation where an aspect of building design needs to be stamped by a certified professional engineer. The difference here is that in the former there is not formal/official definition mandated by law for what is and isn't considered "certified" whereas in the latter there is. 

Unless absolutely necessary, I would not recommend paying someone to perform the translation for you. 

If I were to guess why an RFE was received in this case it is possible that the translation was not done to USCIS's satisfaction. If every word was translated accurately then the USCIS would have no reason to dispute it. 

If I were the OP I would first reach out to some French speaking friends and show them your translation and compare it to the original and ask them to see if they find any errors or omissions in your translation. Also, if you didn't already, you should format the translation to look exactly like the original to make the comparison for USCIS easier. 

It also doesn't hurt to call USCIS directly and ask them to clarify what the root cause of the RFE is.....whether it's an insufficient translation or incorrect birth certificate submission. Knowing that alone will clarify things greatly. If they end up saying you sent in the wrong birth certificate document then the whole subject of "how to translate" becomes moot.

Edited by Alekezam

2 hours ago, Alekezam said:

The definition of "Certified" when it comes to translation of documents for USCIS implies that anyone with a sound understanding of the English and the foreign language in question is sufficient. It is not the same as say situation where an aspect of building design needs to be stamped by a certified professional engineer. The difference here is that in the former there is not formal/official definition mandated by law for what is and isn't considered "certified" whereas in the latter there is. 

Unless absolutely necessary, I would not recommend paying someone to perform the translation for you. 

If I were to guess why an RFE was received in this case it is possible that the translation was not done to USCIS's satisfaction. If every word was translated accurately then the USCIS would have no reason to dispute it. 

If I were the OP I would first reach out to some French speaking friends and show them your translation and compare it to the original and ask them to see if they find any errors or omissions in your translation. Also, if you didn't already, you should format the translation to look exactly like the original to make the comparison for USCIS easier. 

It also doesn't hurt to call USCIS directly and ask them to clarify what the root cause of the RFE is.....whether it's an insufficient translation or incorrect birth certificate submission. Knowing that alone will clarify things greatly. If they end up saying you sent in the wrong birth certificate document then the whole subject of "how to translate" becomes moot.

Hi,

I did the translation, and respect the the format to look exactly like the original to make the comparison for USCIS easier. 

They don t say anuthing about the translation itself on the RFE ... so i don't understand what they want. I sent the long-form birth certificate , translated.

I will have to call them to have more informations 

Timeline

We have this same problem and I called USCIS to get clarification not surprisingly the first call was useless.  Asked to be called back by a tier two agent and they weren't much better.  Bottom line they said that if I believe what we sent was sufficient then to resend it.  Could not look into our case which is what I though tier two agents were able to do unless I just happened to get one that was dumber then a bag of rocks.

Did you provide three BCs and 3 translations...one for I485, one for I765 and one for I131? You realize they require three sets of separate required documents for the AOS submission, right?

They could have simply lost them too.

Timeline
12 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

We have this same problem and I called USCIS to get clarification not surprisingly the first call was useless.  Asked to be called back by a tier two agent and they weren't much better.  Bottom line they said that if I believe what we sent was sufficient then to resend it.  Could not look into our case which is what I though tier two agents were able to do unless I just happened to get one that was dumber then a bag of rocks.

Bummer.

Sorry to hear that. 

Yeah, unfortunately, the majority of the time you end up having to deal with a clueless individual. 

Perhaps securing an appointment at your local USCIS office to talk to someone in person would be the better route. 

In the meantime you/they can just keep calling while hoping to receive someone who is both halfway knowledgeable and willing to help. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Did you provide three BCs and 3 translations...one for I485, one for I765 and one for I131? You realize they require three sets of separate required documents for the AOS submission, right?

This could very well be the problem. 

In our case though, I only submitted 2 BC's and 2 translations for the I-485 and the I-765 and had no problems. I don't recall it being required for the I-131. 

Yes i sent 3 BC and translations, just receive the RFIE for the i485, 

I will try to go to the local USCIS, see of they have more informations. 

Maybe just a document lost, or whatever, i need to wait few days to receive BC from france and for a certified translation ,

so calls and USCIS office looks 2 good options.

Timeline

Perhaps securing an appointment at your local USCIS office to talk to someone in person would be the better route. 

You mean a field office?  I didn't even know you could do this?  can they actually pull up your case and see what was sent so as to give you a specific answer?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
9 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

RFE would nit be because of that. Only the i485 would require the BC and its translation. i765 and i131 don’t require BCs.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Did you include a signed translator statement? Just a few lines saying that you are fluent in both languages and that your translation is accurate. 

43 minutes ago, arken said:

RFE would nit be because of that. Only the i485 would require the BC and its translation. i765 and i131 don’t require BCs.

Not true.

I received an RFIE for I765 and I131 and even though I submitted my BCs for all three, I was required to submit it again.

It might help us determine exactly what you need if you post word for word what the RFE says; however, If I were you, I'd send a copy of your long form BC again with a certified translation, not one you did yourself.

When I filed the I-129F for my now husband they lost my BC and requested a second copy. A year and a half later during his AOS, they acknowledged they had received my husband's BC but said they needed the original, non-English version of it. For the record, my husband was born in England. He ended up sending a second copy of his BC and a note stating that there is no other language that it comes in. Not to get your hopes up, but we were able to expedite based on USCIS error because of this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.