TeamJ

RFIE says I don't make enough money which I do, but I may have made a mistake in the form...

22 posts in this topic

Filed the i485 and i864, jsut got an RFIE sayign I don't make enough money (I do, and my tax forms and 1099's all show this) - hoever I reviewed the i864 I sent and in section 5 I accidentally added up family household memebrs as 1 instead of 2 (yes I know so stupid). Would this be a reason for receiving the form letter? I'm assuming an error like this would automatically flag this for an RFIE - it talks about me not not making enough money etc and I clearly do, so it's a bit confusing - until I saw my error in household size. Has anyone else encountered an error like this before based on too few members in the household total ? 

Thanks for any advice.

An error with the I-864, or improper/insufficient support evidence of income/assets claimed on it, means they will reject it. As a result, the eligible income is $0, which is below the 125% minimum.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

An error with the I-864, or improper/insufficient support evidence of income/assets claimed on it, means they will reject it. As a result, the eligible income is $0, which is below the 125% minimum.

Ah... this is what I suspected. So when I put household size of 1 instead of 2 their system automatically kicked out the RFIE 🙄. I included all tax forms etc so I can’t see what else it could be so I was just a bit confused. 

I guess the form letter is pretty generic

4 minutes ago, TeamJ said:

Ah... this is what I suspected. So when I put household size of 1 instead of 2 their system automatically kicked out the RFIE 🙄. I included all tax forms etc so I can’t see what else it could be so I was just a bit confused. 

I guess the form letter is pretty generic

You aid you included the 1099s...so you're self-employed? If so, the tax return is evidence of your current income.

If you are an employee (i.e. you get a W-2), then you should provide pay stubs and/or an employment letter. The tax return copy is required either way, but it does not show current income for an employee.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Yeah I included last 3 years of tax forms and the accompanying 1099s which verify my income, which is a good deal over the 125% but upon reviewing the i864 I put household total as 1 instead of 2 so I assume that’s why they kicked out the RFIE and sent the generic form letter for the i864. I will be calling them monday hopefully they can confirm 

28 minutes ago, TeamJ said:

Yeah I included last 3 years of tax forms and the accompanying 1099s which verify my income, which is a good deal over the 125% but upon reviewing the i864 I put household total as 1 instead of 2 so I assume that’s why they kicked out the RFIE and sent the generic form letter for the i864. I will be calling them monday hopefully they can confirm 

You should not assume it's a simple reason. 

Lots of things are inclusuve in this generic RFE.

For example, above you stated you "included last 3 years of tax forms".

What tax forms do you mean?

The actual forms you sent to the IRS or the Return Transcript you requested from them?

58 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You should not assume it's a simple reason. 

Lots of things are inclusuve in this generic RFE.

For example, above you stated you "included last 3 years of tax forms".

What tax forms do you mean?

The actual forms you sent to the IRS or the Return Transcript you requested from them?

The tax returns and accompanying 1099s (which show i’m not just making up income LOL ) it clearly shows my income is more than enough which is why I suspect it’s from the error in the form. I can’t imagine what else it could be

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, TeamJ said:

Filed the i485 and i864, jsut got an RFIE sayign I don't make enough money (I do, and my tax forms and 1099's all show this) - hoever I reviewed the i864 I sent and in section 5 I accidentally added up family household memebrs as 1 instead of 2 (yes I know so stupid). Would this be a reason for receiving the form letter? I'm assuming an error like this would automatically flag this for an RFIE - it talks about me not not making enough money etc and I clearly do, so it's a bit confusing - until I saw my error in household size. Has anyone else encountered an error like this before based on too few members in the household total ? 

Thanks for any advice.

Same problem..☹☹☹

3 hours ago, TeamJ said:

The tax returns and accompanying 1099s (which show i’m not just making up income LOL ) it clearly shows my income is more than enough which is why I suspect it’s from the error in the form. I can’t imagine what else it could be

Actual tax return forms are not your best option especially if you are self employed as they are many many pages.

Simply missing a page, form, schedule or earning statement can cause this RFE.

The Return Transcript is the best option.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

PS no one ever can imagine what it could be for this type of RFE either but it's THE most common. 

You will find numerous posts with their detailed remedies if you search them out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 hours ago, TeamJ said:

Check your Sponsor household size and see if you filled it correctly,  filling this wrong will also flag as insufficient income.  Such as what happened to me, I also sent the correct tax form in also.  When they say it is not enough income doesn't mean its really not enough income.  If you get what I mean, usually it something else.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
11 hours ago, TeamJ said:

I would order tax transcripts from the IRS instead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What was your net profit from Schedule C, line 31?  That is the number they will consider as your income for the I-864 and sponsorship purposes, not gross profits from the 1099s.  Most self-employed deduct all kinds of expenses from their gross revenue, like use of personal vehicles for business purposes, any direct costs, use of your residence for business reasons, etc.  This is why all tax schedules are required if you submit tax returns and not IRS tax transcripts, so that they can check Schedule C to see what your net profit after deducting costs is.  If your net profit is greater than the 125% minimum, you should be okay, but the reviewing officer will look at the totality of the circumstances, especially if the most recent net profit number is not much over the 125% minimum, and there are other special circumstances like living in a high-cost part of the country, high health insurance requirements, etc.  Hopefully you can fix this by correcting the household size on the I-864, but you should also check your "net business profit" number, not your total gross revenues from your 1099s, to see if this could be the problem.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

What was your net profit from Schedule C, line 31?  That is the number they will consider as your income for the I-864 and sponsorship purposes, not gross profits from the 1099s.  Most self-employed deduct all kinds of expenses from their gross revenue, like use of personal vehicles for business purposes, any direct costs, use of your residence for business reasons, etc.  This is why all tax schedules are required if you submit tax returns and not IRS tax transcripts, so that they can check Schedule C to see what your net profit after deducting costs is.  If your net profit is greater than the 125% minimum, you should be okay, but the reviewing officer will look at the totality of the circumstances, especially if the most recent net profit number is not much over the 125% minimum, and there are other special circumstances like living in a high-cost part of the country, high health insurance requirements, etc.  Hopefully you can fix this by correcting the household size on the I-864, but you should also check your "net business profit" number, not your total gross revenues from your 1099s, to see if this could be the problem.  Good luck!

Wow, I never knew this. You now have me very concerned about my i864 form submission. I just submitted my AOS and i864 to the NVC (as self-employed), but my Schedule C (31) shows my net profit is way under the 125% threshold for my household size. So, my question to you is this...what is the point and purpose of Schedule C (26) -- Wages (less employment credits)? In my wages section, I make sufficiently more than the 125% poverty guideline for my household size.

Your answer is somewhat confusing in that, what is the point of the "wages" you earn as a self-employed person? This is the monies I am able to allocate for myself (and my family) living expenses....this is what I have available to support my family. The net profit is monies "left" back after my living/surviving income (26) and from subtracting my wages and other self-employed expenses from my gross. My net profit (31) is what I usually put back (reinvest) into the business operations -- not used to survive with. So, what is the "wages" (26) section for? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Timeline
4 minutes ago, vincentlina said:

Wow, I never knew this. You now have me very concerned about my i864 form submission. I just submitted my AOS and i864 to the NVC (as self-employed), but my Schedule C (31) shows my net profit is way under the 125% threshold for my household size. So, my question to you is this...what is the point and purpose of Schedule C (26) -- Wages (less employment credits)? In my wages section, I make sufficiently more than the 125% poverty guideline for my household size.

Your answer is somewhat confusing in that, what is the point of the "wages" you earn as a self-employed person? This is the monies I am able to allocate for myself (and my family) living expenses....this is what I have available to support my family. The net profit is monies "left" back after my living/surviving income (26) and from subtracting my wages and other self-employed expenses from my gross. My net profit (31) is what I usually put back (reinvest) into the business operations -- not used to survive with. So, what is the "wages" (26) section for? Thanks in advance.

Everyones situation is different. The above was referring to someone who only files schedule C and deducts expenses. You do that but you also claim (26) wages out of the business income. So your income for the purposes of the 864 is whatever wages you pay yourself + any extra profits the business is left with after all the deductions. (providing you are the sole owner). Not everyone who does schedule C/operates a self employed business pays themselves wages from it. It depends on how you do things/how you set up the business. Thats why you need to provide a tax transcript or copies of all pages/schedules from the return. You should be fine if your (self paid) wages are over the guidelines as they will consider that as well as the profits you are investing back in to the business. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.