laylalex

The Beauty Thread

869 posts in this topic

I thought I'd put in my 2 cents since I have nothing better to do with all this waiting for some movement on my petition.

I am somewhat of a beauty product junkie.  I can't go to Walmart without throwing some beauty product, that I didn't need, into my basket.  I don't shop at Sephora and such, but I have splurged on products on Amazon.  However, I tend to go back to the old tried and true things that work for me. 

A few years ago I had a skin reaction to something so the dermatologist suggested I used Dove soap on my face.  It cleans well and doesn't dry out my skin so I've been using it for years.  It's a real bargain too and I use it in the shower as well.  As for moisturizing my face, I use CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion during the day but at night I alternate between Alpha Skin Care Enhanced Renewal Cream with 12% AHA and a beauty bargain from Walmart, Advanced Clinicals Retinol Firming Cream, which really tightens my pores and smooths my skin.  

As for my hair, I love Wen cleansing conditioner, but it is definitely on the expensive side.  My husband is Dominican, so when he found out how much the Wen costs he freaked out a little.  It costs about $40 for a 3 months supply.  Not a huge expense, but $40 means more to him than it does to me, so I stopped using it for now.  I am still trying out a few other brands, so i can't recommend anything yet.  However, I love the old fashioned VO5 hairdressing that comes in a tube.  I remember my grandparents using it when I was a kid.  I use a pea size amount to tame frizzies, add shine and a hint of soft control.  It never makes my hair greasy, but always soft and shiny.  So cheap too.  I have to warn you that it is a tad stinky, but the smell fades quickly and I put hairspray on top of it anyway, so that masks the smell.

I am not a lipstick kind of girl, but do enjoy a variety of lip glosses.  Right now my favorite is Vaseline Rosy Lips.  It's a pink tinted, rose scented lip balm in a tiny Vaseline jar.  Love, love, love it.  My husband likes a lip balm as well, but when he tried this one it was definitely more on the feminine side because of the pink tint.

8 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

...and causes grown men to fall into dead faints after hearing those prices.

Meh, I've had $20 haircuts and they've never looked good.  Quality generally costs more.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
44 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Meh, I've had $20 haircuts and they've never looked good.  Quality generally costs more.

My $7 job on Saturday yielded one of the best cuts ever.

I time my Mexico trips for when I need a cut, and there I pay $5.

In Ecuador, I paid $2.50.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

$100 seems a fairly regular amount to me

See above, see ma'am.

7 hours ago, laylalex said:

I take advantage of my Sephora Rouge status

Doesn't sound quite legal... perhaps tortfeasing...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

These are my faves right now...

Coppertone Glow Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 – It’s always sunny in Socal

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask - Amazing at reducing pores and discoloration and inexpensive

Goldwell Kerasilk Smoothing Sleek Spray - I have thin, colored hair and this keeps the frizz away without making my hair greasy

Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum – I tend to get dark patches on my face after being in the sun too long (even with sunscreen), this has been great at lightning discoloration

Radha Beauty Retinol Moisturizer – Great moisturizer and does not make my face feel greasy or breakout

Still trying to find the perfect foundation. I use Estee Lauder Double Wear which is great for full coverage that lasts, but I need to find something a little less thick. Any recommendations?

Edited by Mrs. M
Updated link

50 minutes ago, Mrs. M said:

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask - Amazing at reducing pores and discoloration and inexpensive

Goldwell Kerasilk Smoothing Sleek Spray - I have thin, colored hair and this keeps the frizz away without making my hair greasy

Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum – I tend to get dark patches on my face after being in the sun too long (even with sunscreen), this has been great at lightning discoloration

Radha Beauty Retinol Moisturizer – Great moisturizer and does not make my face feel greasy or breakout

Still trying to find the perfect foundation. I use Estee Lauder Double Wear which is great for full coverage that lasts, but I need to find something a little less thick. Any recommendations?

That Aztec Secret mask is the bomb. I always feel squeaky clean after using it. I'm curious about the Kerasilk -- I have frizz issues too and am always looking for something new, though I am pretty loyal to my bargain Kristin Ess serum.

I also use the Double Wear for times when I want full coverage, which isn't that often these days. My lifestyle changed a few years ago from having to look made up on a regular basis to a little more casual. I'm combo to oily, and I've tried a ton of different formulations. When I want a medium level of coverage, I like the Dior Backstage, which is very buildable. It has almost as many shades as the Double Wear, and pricewise it is pretty similar. For light coverage, I use either the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer or the Bobbi Brown BB cream, which is SPF 35+. I tend to use the BB cream most of all, because of the SPF (like you, SoCal girl here and I have had a lifetime of sunscreen!) and the formulation, which gives just enough color to make everything look balanced without looking too made up. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think it is so nice that Layla is making new friends.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

30 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think it is so nice that Layla is making new friends.

I am allowed to post in other forums. 😁 You guys don't have me all for yourselves. 

32 minutes ago, laylalex said:

That Aztec Secret mask is the bomb. I always feel squeaky clean after using it. I'm curious about the Kerasilk -- I have frizz issues too and am always looking for something new, though I am pretty loyal to my bargain Kristin Ess serum.

I also use the Double Wear for times when I want full coverage, which isn't that often these days. My lifestyle changed a few years ago from having to look made up on a regular basis to a little more casual. I'm combo to oily, and I've tried a ton of different formulations. When I want a medium level of coverage, I like the Dior Backstage, which is very buildable. It has almost as many shades as the Double Wear, and pricewise it is pretty similar. For light coverage, I use either the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer or the Bobbi Brown BB cream, which is SPF 35+. I tend to use the BB cream most of all, because of the SPF (like you, SoCal girl here and I have had a lifetime of sunscreen!) and the formulation, which gives just enough color to make everything look balanced without looking too made up. 

I was looking at the Dior Backstage, I've heard great things about it. I think you've sealed it for me, I'll try that and see how it goes.

My hairstylist recommended the Goldwell Kerasilk (she calls it her crack haha) and I LOVE it. My hair's pretty straight naturally, so I usually just wash and brush and go without any styling. I can spray this on my hair and it does the trick without having to blow dry.

4 minutes ago, Mrs. M said:

I was looking at the Dior Backstage, I've heard great things about it. I think you've sealed it for me, I'll try that and see how it goes.

My hairstylist recommended the Goldwell Kerasilk (she calls it her crack haha) and I LOVE it. My hair's pretty straight naturally, so I usually just wash and brush and go without any styling. I can spray this on my hair and it does the trick without having to blow dry.

The Backstage is very good -- the buildable aspect of it is what appeals to me. I can never get it to Double Wear levels of coverage, but that's fine. It's good when I want more oomph than a BB or a tinted moisturizer. The Backstage line is good -- I had a MUA use the lip palette on me and the colors blended beautifully. 

Okay, getting the Kerasilk!!! Thank you! I do need a blow dry -- I have a slight wave that makes the straightness poof into weird shapes. I am a little ashamed to admit it, but I have one of those Dyson hairdryers. It was a Christmas present from my fiancé, and a total surprise. I was actually a little cross with him for buying it for me, as he'd been whingeing about how much money he had to spend on our move in January from the Bay Area to Santa Monica, and how there wasn't enough money in his budget to do a short vacation, and the move, and pay for his daughter's Xmas presents, and her trip with her mum's family to France for the holidays, and, and, and..... And then he bought me a $400 hairdryer. Because it was cool. I love him but sometimes his reasoning is impenetrable to me. :lol:

Timeline
On 1/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, Mrs. M said:

I tried double wear for a few weeks and did not like it that much for the same reasons. I'm now using fenty beauty. I've also had good experiences with too faced foundation. I wore it for years 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Tripling down on the aztec clay mask! I always mix with all natural apple cider vinegar & this self care Sunday I'm incorporating some tumeric into the mix- I saw that idea on pinterest the other day. I also have a wicked good, all fancy and organic and stuff, honey, that was gifted at a holiday party that I'm not going to consume, so I've been using that as a face mask sometimes too, lol.

For any blondes looking for a purple shampoo, I cannot say enough about Fanola, on Amazon. Also, in terms of haircare, dry shampoo all the time. I love bumble & bumble powder, lasts a while but kinda pricey compared to drug store dry shampoo sprays. I've also made my own dry shampoo powder concoction - it's usually a combo of corn starch, baking powder and essential oils. tons of recipes on pinterest for that too.

Only over the past year have really started a skincare routine- kinda of. I always use witch hazel, morning and night. At night I rotate through a few moisturizers and oils. I love using natural coconut oil as an all over moisturizer when I have the time to let it soak in and not grease up clothes.

21 hours ago, mandsophia said:

I tried double wear for a few weeks and did not like it that much for the same reasons. I'm now using fenty beauty. I've also had good experiences with too faced foundation. I wore it for years 

I like the Fenty formulation, but none of the shades are an acceptable match for me -- the "closest match" according to Sephora is way too peachy for me, and the more neutral shade makes me look grey. It's frustrating because it truly is lovely going on. I keep going back to Double Wear even though I have tried so many brands over the years, because the Dawn shade (2W1) is absolutely perfect on me and makes me look radiant and glowy. It takes a light hand and a beauty blender though to keep it from looking mask-like. In the past four years I've tried tarte Amazonian Clay (good color match, poor staying power), Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil Free (patchy), Nars Tinted Moisturizer (great for summer but again, staying power), YSL All Hours (beautiful and so expensive I wanted to kill myself for liking it), Smashbox Studio Skin (slid off my face and oxidized) and the Dior Backstage (similar comments to those made in posts above -- very buildable if you want something less heavy).

I end up going back to Double Wear again and again because I have oily skin that requires something that isn't going to budge for 10 hours. I do use a primer (YSL Top Secrets Instant Matte -- my Holy Grail primer after years of pursuit) and a setting powder (this cheap L'Oreal stuff I use now is better on me than the Hourglass stuff I was paying $$$$$$ for before) and a setting spray (Urban Decay All Nighter). I thought by the time I hit my mid-40s  I wouldn't be as oily as a teenage boy but the trade off is I look about 10 years younger than I am, so my body's deal with Satan is acceptable to me. 

But my real passion is eyeshadow palettes. I told myself at the end of last year, maven, you are not buying any more palettes. I have all three original UD Naked palettes, plus the UD Smoky one (actually hate this one on me, so if anyone wants a barely used Urban Decay Smoky palette... lemme know ;) ), the Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette, the KVD Shade and Light one, a Too Faced one (can't remember name) and a mini Charlotte Tilbury Charlotte Darling palette. Plus a random NYX one in shades of beige and brown because ... I have no idea. And then four Marc Jacobs single shadows and a Smashbox duo in rose gold and bronze that makes my green eyes pop. I was being very, very well behaved, and then I had a moment of weakness three weeks ago and bought a $75 Charlotte Tilbury eye palette which is SO EXPENSIVE and so gorgeous. This was an ignominious falling off the wagon after this pledge to control myself. :crying:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I really like my make up forever foundation.  

KVD makes a killer primer but her eye liners aren't great... which is surprising when you consider the source. 

I'm currently looking for a new liquid liner that's easy to use.  Debating go the brush and pot route. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss