laylalex

The Beauty Thread

869 posts in this topic

I tend to post a lot in the Current Events subforum because our process is kind of... not in process at the moment -- my fiance is an L1B visa holder and we need to get married first before we can start AOS. Anyway, it's a whole bunch of guys in there who don't seem particularly interested in talking about beauty topics -- makeup, skincare, hair, nails, etc. I am a little bit of a recovering beauty junkie, I admit, but it is a real interest of mine.

So, I was hoping we could start a discussion in here about what people are doing/using, what works and what doesn't, what's overhyped and what's underrated. I am always curious about others' experiences with products. I'll start off with talking about how I have recently gotten totally obsessed with the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. The price is on the high side, but I started with a small jar to see if the hype is just that: hype. Ummmmm, this stuff. This stuff is AMAZING. I can get a little red in the face (mild rosacea) and have combo skin, and after three weeks not only is my skin less red, it feels so plump and smooth and NOT oily in the places it had been before. I said the hell with it when I ran out and bought the medium sized jar immediately. You only need a very, very little to get astounding effects; the makeup artist I spoke with in the shop told me that the $100 jar should last me 3-4 months. 

I promise I am not shilling for Charlotte Tilbury! :lol: I also bought a little jar of the night cream when I was there, it came in a box set with the day cream and a lavender scented silk eye mask, super cute. I admit to owning a couple of her eye palettes and lipsticks too -- I haven't had anything from her line yet that has not been amazing. 

Anyway, this thread may just die a neglected death but hey, if anyone wants to talk makeup and whatnot at any price point, I am here for you. :P 

Filed: Timeline

Step one: Stop wearing makeup and slathering all sorts of chemicals all over your body.  Your natural skin is your BEST skin.

Step two: Shampoo.  That is all you need to cleanse every part of your body.  And it works in a pinch for getting rid of ring-around-the-collar, though I actually prefer it when she uses Dawn and scrubs it by hand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has been suggested I do a face peel and had hoped to pop into Walmart to see what they have, but fear due to weather conditions I will be limited to the Dollar Store.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I have one personal care product. Someone that I use to trust told me it was awful for my skin

Image result for irish spring body wash 5 in 1

Well, there goes my attempt to have an actual discussion about these things. 🙄

And yes, Irish Spring 5 in One is NOT the best for your hair and body. Does it get you clean? Yes. But it strips your hair and body of oils. I'm not saying start using the Kerastase Discipline line of hair products that I use, which are amazing by the way. Just use something a little more gentle on your skin. It's not that difficult to use a couple of products instead of just one. Alex uses Olay body wash with shea butter and "some Aussie thing that smells nice" on his hair (I asked him just now), and a Paul Mitchell charcoal shampoo when he wants to do a deeper clean, plus some 3 Minute Miracle once in a while. It's not that hard, and he's not exactly mincing around in a cloud of perfume. He only just started using moisturizer after me begging him for a couple of years -- Neutrogena. I think it costs about $12, not really breaking the bank.

Sigh. Really no way to win.

My face cleaning is murad. It's one of the few that doesn't cause me to break out because I always need more moisture.

Hair I use AG but when it's empty I'm going to switch to something my stylist recommended.  I have an oily scalp but I have coloured hair. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I wonder how many here have a stylist?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

What kind of stylist -- hair, clothes, etc.? For hair, certainly. As for clothes, I have almost always styled myself, just a few times I needed some assistance for special events.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

What kind of stylist -- hair, clothes, etc.? For hair, certainly. As for clothes, I have almost always styled myself, just a few times I needed some assistance for special events.

Well anything, would Michelle who cuts my hair be classified as a stylist?

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well anything, would Michelle who cuts my hair be classified as a stylist?

I'd say so, yes.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I'd say so, yes.

Next time I go for a chop I will mention her elevation.

everybody in OFF Topic is, like who are all these guys.. Your fan club followed you

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

My face cleaning is murad. It's one of the few that doesn't cause me to break out because I always need more moisture.

Hair I use AG but when it's empty I'm going to switch to something my stylist recommended.  I have an oily scalp but I have coloured hair. 

What do you think about he Murad cleanser? I have combo skin that veers towards the oily, so I need moisture but not anything too intense. For mornings, I use a Clinique 7 Day Scrub cream, which is a very mild exfoliator. Night I feel like I need a better cleanser before getting into that routine -- I've been using a strawberry cleanser from Fresh but I'm kind of... meh about it. It smells gorgeous but that's kind of about it. 

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

I used to. She was great, cost a terrible amount of money though. She did all the wedding hair and makeup. Now I just go to the lady in the local place, but honestly your hair could come out potentially massacred at any time. Haven't gone since the early fall.. too scared.. hair is just back in a bun now.

Anything and everything could give me hives (Biolage once caused me a two month treatment of steroids and even detergent can be risky), so it's a good old average soap bar for me and sensitive shampoo. MAC is used for cleanser and makeup (which is rarely used anyway). Simply put us poor housewife carers don't have the time and money to be putting stuff on if we're running around all day taking care of the elderly and cleaning.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23