Voice of Reason

'We don't have a left party in the U.S.': AOC deems Democrats 'center or center-conservative'

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

As for Gaslighting. I got to read up on it. Not sure what it is. 

tbone says it involves lots of beans.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I recollect being in a market in France and they were using pre metric measurements, Livre? Forget exactly.

I happen to know my height in metric, would need to think about my weight, and if somebody asked how tall I am it would never occur to me to use metric and yes the Medical side of things has used metric for a very long time.

Certainly the last time I was in the UK loose goods were priced in metric but still asked for in Imperial, never heard anybody asking for 400 gms of cheese.

Go to a pub and want a beer, what do you as for?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

53 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Of course AOC thinks dems are center. She is looking from the edge of the left cliff after having bounced thru the Left ditch.

As for Gaslighting. I got to read up on it. Not sure what it is. 

In a general sense, it's a type of psychological implement with the goal of causing someone to question what they know/believe (is true), or even their own sanity or cognition, a sort of forced-introspection. The way it manifests is, of course, the contentious part, and because the left co-opted this term, they believe they define it, which is why they absolutely hate the term being used against them. Of course, the way the media gaslight the left is by giving them their injection of confirmation bias, distorting reality to fit a narrative they want to hear. They employ circular reasoning, as seen in the Trump and Kavanaugh situations, and notably, the left's critical thinking is conveniently absent. For the uninitiated (who tend to be other independents, or moderates), they perhaps are swayed by the encompassing narrative, but those who are well grounded, introspective, and critical thinkers, see right through it.

George Carlin described precisely what I feel now, because he grew up in the culture like I did (which shows how over time many things don't change, they just swap "sides" with regularity):

The habits of liberals, their automatic language, their knee-jerk responses to certain issues, deserved the epithets the right wing stuck them with. I'd see how true they often were. here they were, banding together in packs, so I could predict what they were going to say about some event or conflict and it wasn't even out of their mouths yet. I was very uncomfortable with that. Liberal orthodoxy was as repugnant to me as conservative orthodoxy.

Naturally, leftists will presume because of my critical nature I'm a "conservative", and they'll latch onto a couple of handpicked things they disagree with (or have personal loathing for) for their confirmation bias. You'll notice the treatment hard leftists like Greenwald get when they criticize, the left can't call him a right winger, instead, they use some other reality distorting term.. Russian, Russian asset, Putin puppet, Putin sympathizer, Trump sympathizer, Trump apologist, and so on. Distorting reality is what every ideology in power tries to do, the right tried to do it, it failed, now the left are trying it.. "progressively", of course. 😂 These are not people who have a good relationship with reality, which is why the natural authoritarian in them comes out when confronted with it, and they concoct devices that help conceal it, like a mental drug.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

49 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I completely agree.  At home all my temperature displays are in Celsius (I considered Kelvins), and my preference is metric, but I can survive in a world where 0.62 miles ~ 1 km. 

Btw, I thought you would like the Gimli Glider reference.  :)

my phone is in Celsius because Fahrenheit doesn't make sense to me so when someone asks me what temperature it is, I enjoy seeing the look of confusion.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

24 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I recollect being in a market in France and they were using pre metric measurements, Livre? Forget exactly.

I happen to know my height in metric, would need to think about my weight, and if somebody asked how tall I am it would never occur to me to use metric and yes the Medical side of things has used metric for a very long time.

Certainly the last time I was in the UK loose goods were priced in metric but still asked for in Imperial, never heard anybody asking for 400 gms of cheese.

"insert name of beer"  if larger than a normal glass for several peeps, I ask for a pitcher.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

tbone says it involves lots of beans.

"Want some more beans Mr. Taggart?"

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, NikLR said:

"insert name of beer"  if larger than a normal glass for several peeps, I ask for a pitcher.

Pitchers are not that common in the UK. Actually jug is a more common term, 4 proper pints.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I've never heard anyone as for .88 lbs of cheese, either.  A kilo perhaps, or half a kilo.  But 454 grams of cheese IS an awkward amount.

In the UK, a pint.  In Germany, a beer.  Which would equate to a half liter.

Timeline

You can get stein's in Germany, big beers.

7 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

You know, it really is not that hard to use both, simple mathematics. 

Some is simple, it's not always, and it does lead to mistakes. Why even do it though? It's routine in the medical field to have to convert either weight or temperature from imperial to metric, do a calculation and then convert all the values back to imperial to get the final result in the format you need.

It's just silly at this point. Metric is a better system and everyone else is using it. There is not 2 options here. We are going to switch to metric. The only thing left to decide is how long we are going to drag our feet.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Some is simple, it's not always, and it does lead to mistakes. Why even do it though? It's routine in the medical field to have to convert either weight or temperature from imperial to metric, do a calculation and then convert all the values back to imperial to get the final result in the format you need.

It's just silly at this point. Metric is a better system and everyone else is using it. There is not 2 options here. We are going to switch to metric. The only thing left to decide is how long we are going to drag our feet.

I agree.  Not only is the metric system more predominantly used, it is also much simpler to maff out reductions/additions to any given recipe/dosage.  We should have gone to it years ago.  The only hard part for me will be getting familiar with masses and heights.  (though my personal height is particularly simple)

4 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I agree.  Not only is the metric system more predominantly used, it is also much simpler to maff out reductions/additions to any given recipe/dosage.  We should have gone to it years ago.  The only hard part for me will be getting familiar with masses and heights.  (though my personal height is particularly simple)

It's really not that hard. I was in middle school in Canada when they switched to metric. For a while, everything is labeled or printed with both values. For a few months, you remember simple factors like conversion constants, and then your brain makes the switch and you go on with the rest of your life thinking in metric. Since it's an easier system, there is no internal resistance. The brain actually likes doing things the easy way. All the resistance is external.

Timeline

I can do both, I use both and I do not believe one is better than the other, depends on the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I can do both, I use both and I do not believe one is better than the other, depends on the circumstances.

I can also do both, as I said, but I'm hard pressed to name an area where the imperial system is actually better. I can think of areas where metric is much better or easier to use. I can think of a lot of areas where it makes no difference. I can't really come up with anything that is actually better about imperial measurements. Familiarity is basically what it has going for it.