Siaa

fwe weeks to interview

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Your wife filed incorrectly and can fix it simply by preparing and filing a 1040X (amended return) as married filing jointly and mailing that in before your interview.

Your wife had 2 choices to legally file while married - married filing separately or married filing jointly and did not file her 2018 taxes correctly if you were married before the end of 2018.

If she files married filing jointly she would need to treat you as resident for tax purposes, include your overseas 2018 income, and exclude $104,100 of your income as non-taxable.  

Turbotax will guide you through the preparation of the amended return.

It may or may not affect your interview.  It was clearly done incorrectly and tax returns are usually in the “proof of marriage” pile.  Good luck.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Edited by Nitas_man

49 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Your wife filed incorrectly and can fix it simply by preparing and filing a 1040X (amended return) as married filing jointly and mailing that in before your interview.

Your wife had 2 choices to legally file while married - married filing separately or married filing jointly and did not file her 2018 taxes correctly if you were married before the end of 2018.

If she files married filing jointly she would need to treat you as resident for tax purposes, include your overseas 2018 income, and exclude $104,100 of your income as non-taxable.  

Turbotax will guide you through the preparation of the amended return.

It may or may not affect your interview.  It was clearly done incorrectly and tax returns are usually in the “proof of marriage” pile.  Good luck.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Hmmm... Thank You

Generally speaking we have not seen it affect people's interviews unless the person is from a high fraud country and where marriage evidence is already slim. 

Best practice would be for your wife to correct this asap. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 hours ago, Siaa said:

My wife filled single instead of married in 2018 And I Have interview in a few weeks. - am worried. I just saw it on the tax returns.  she said I needed my SSN and because am not yet in America.

Will this affect my interview.

She didn't realize she was married?  Not a good start.  She needs to file amended return and send you a copy to take to the interview.

Edit:

You already have three things working against you . . . 

Ghana is a high fraud country.

There is a age gap 

She won't be there and since she doesn't fly I take it there have not been a lot of visits.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

If you are living apart in another country it is allowed to file as single not married. If you choose to file married world-wide income needs to be reported and you would need to file a w7 for a TIN. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Rachel & Khairy said:

If you are living apart in another country it is allowed to file as single not married. If you choose to file married world-wide income needs to be reported and you would need to file a w7 for a TIN. 

That's incorrect. One is allowed to file as married filing single instead of married filing jointly. That way you prevent having to obtain the ITIN number.

One is NOT allowed to file as single while married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

married filing single

*Married filing separately

But yes as said filing as single is NOT allowed when married regardless of if the spouse is in the US or not. Married is married no matter where your spouse lives and filing as single while married can be considered tax fraud

Its very easy to file married filing separately. Fill out tax return as normal, print it out, write “NRA” where spouse’s SSN usually goes, and mail it to the IRS

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you're concerned about the interview over this one thing, that your wife filed her tax return as single when she was in fact married, imagine the perspective of the officer who will carefully review all the facts in your file before the interview:

1.  you have been together once, in person, and got married on that one visit of 15 days

2.  she is older than you

3.  Ghana is a high-fraud country so your fellow countrymen have made it more difficult for those in legitimate relationships

4.  she filed her taxes as single when she wasn't

5.  your US citizen wife will not be with you for the visa interview

I visited my husband in Brazil 9 times before his visa interview, I also flew to attend the interview with him, and we submitted lots of evidence of these visits, plus financial co-mingling documents.  Be prepared for scrutiny at the interview and a potential denial based on the facts of your case and location.  What is your backup plan if the visa is denied?

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
1 hour ago, LilyJ said:

*Married filing separately

But yes as said filing as single is NOT allowed when married regardless of if the spouse is in the US or not. Married is married no matter where your spouse lives and filing as single while married can be considered tax fraud

Its very easy to file married filing separately. Fill out tax return as normal, print it out, write “NRA” where spouse’s SSN usually goes, and mail it to the IRS

I have a Masters and Bachelors in accounting and do taxes for a living. Just a question if your spouse is not in the USA how will you get a ss number without filing a w7? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Rachel & Khairy said:

I have a Masters and Bachelors in accounting and do taxes for a living. Just a question if your spouse is not in the USA how will you get a ss number without filing a w7? 

The answer is that you don’t need one if you’re filing married filing separately. If you’re filing separately and your spouse does not have an SSN or an ITIN you print out the completed forms and write “NRA” (non resident alien) where the SSN usually goes and you mail the forms in. Like I explained. You just can’t file online but you certainly can paper file. And even if you chose to not file separately, then like you said, file a W7 and get the spouse an ITIN and file that way. Or, if qualifying, you can also file as head of household. There are multiple options. Therefore, there really is no excuse nor any reason why anyone should file single while married. Plus the fact that it’s against the law.

Edited by LilyJ

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Rachel & Khairy said:

No, it isn’t

Timeline
1 hour ago, Rachel & Khairy said:

request ITIN for spouse, file MFJ

File MFS, amend the return after SS# is issued

File HOH (if) you have other dependents, amend the return later

Anything but filing single, which is specifically prohibited by law if you are married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.