3,047 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

You have to disclose and bring copies of arrest record to interview.  USCIS does not care that it is dismissed, they care that you told them.  There are no closed rescords for immigration.

Thank you give me respond .

But uscis will be on hold green card . I think so they would not approve green card if I have a arrest  not yet dismissed 

Is someone have arrest not yet dismissed but approved greed card experience ? 

1 hour ago, Lordhelpme said:

Hi, everyone, I have some issues and I would want you to help me out here, My spouse wanted to file tax last year and he asked me for my w2 and I told him that they hadn't given me at work, he asked the second time and I replied back that they haven't given me at work and he told me that he cant wait for me that he wants to file his own tax and he will file it married, filing separate and when I get my w2 that I should file MARRIED SEPARATE TOO, so when I got my w2, I file married , filing separate and the next day the office that helped me file the 2018 tax told me that IRS had rejected it because my husband had already filed married jointly, I was so furious because he never told me that he filed jointly because he didn't want me to know, we have been having our issues and problems but I didn't believe he needed to lie about that, he ended up adding me to the 2018 tax without my knowledge and there was nothing I could do, Dec 30th 2019 I got a letter from the IRS that we owe $1200 in taxes and they did the broke down, my husband file 0 income for me in 2018 and he knew that I was working , he also reduced his own annual income for the year 2018, now the IRS is saying that we are owing $1200 and we need to pay, I was so furious and I had told him not to ever add me to any tax no more now that we are separated, that we both should file separate but he disagrees but I am not giving him my w2,i don't know what to do now, I don't want him to add me to his tax, I had to sign up for Norton life lock because I don't want him to use my information to do anything shady, my fear now is that the tax he filed jointly in 2018, that is part of the documents I submitted with my VAWA petition, I hope nothing pop up, and I need your advice what do I do now with the letter from the IRS office, I don't want to report so he doesn't get arrested and probably goes to jail but am so scared that he doesn't do the same thing again, please advice me, I didn't know when he filed the 2018 tax jointly, the money he collected was not deposited to our JOINT ACCOUNT or any check MAILED TO OUR MAIL BOX, am still wondering how he collected that money, now we are both indebt of $1200 with the IRS, please I need your advice.

I think your husband did you a great favor by filing jointly which will help your VAWA case. I'd say pay the 1200 and move on and focus on your case.  I have been in your shoes and my ex-wife threw a whole bag of tricks to make my life miserable, drag the divorce case, drain me and threaten me. 

Good luck on your journey and make sure you have a good VAWA lawyer!

7 hours ago, greenbird said:

What do you mean with “secure your SSN”? 

And can we get financial support for education with C31 EAD like they give with PF?

If you don't have a SSN, it simply means to get one! You need the PF and SSN to get the Fin Aid. If you read previous posts on this thread, you'll understand more.👍

6 hours ago, Lordhelpme said:

Hi, everyone, I have some issues and I would want you to help me out here, My spouse wanted to file tax last year and he asked me for my w2 and I told him that they hadn't given me at work, he asked the second time and I replied back that they haven't given me at work and he told me that he cant wait for me that he wants to file his own tax and he will file it married, filing separate and when I get my w2 that I should file MARRIED SEPARATE TOO, so when I got my w2, I file married , filing separate and the next day the office that helped me file the 2018 tax told me that IRS had rejected it because my husband had already filed married jointly, I was so furious because he never told me that he filed jointly because he didn't want me to know, we have been having our issues and problems but I didn't believe he needed to lie about that, he ended up adding me to the 2018 tax without my knowledge and there was nothing I could do, Dec 30th 2019 I got a letter from the IRS that we owe $1200 in taxes and they did the broke down, my husband file 0 income for me in 2018 and he knew that I was working , he also reduced his own annual income for the year 2018, now the IRS is saying that we are owing $1200 and we need to pay, I was so furious and I had told him not to ever add me to any tax no more now that we are separated, that we both should file separate but he disagrees but I am not giving him my w2,i don't know what to do now, I don't want him to add me to his tax, I had to sign up for Norton life lock because I don't want him to use my information to do anything shady, my fear now is that the tax he filed jointly in 2018, that is part of the documents I submitted with my VAWA petition, I hope nothing pop up, and I need your advice what do I do now with the letter from the IRS office, I don't want to report so he doesn't get arrested and probably goes to jail but am so scared that he doesn't do the same thing again, please advice me, I didn't know when he filed the 2018 tax jointly, the money he collected was not deposited to our JOINT ACCOUNT or any check MAILED TO OUR MAIL BOX, am still wondering how he collected that money, now we are both indebt of $1200 with the IRS, please I need your advice.

If he filed joint return then it is good for you. It would help you in immigration matters.

I do not know if you filed amendment return once you got your W2. If he did not show your income then you have option to file amendment return where you can add your income. by understanding your post, if he showed 0 income for you and you guys owe $ 1200 then i believe you would owe more once you will add your income. that's what i understood. You can talk to a professional tax prepare or i have to look at the documents. 

If you guys still live together then by law you have to file joint return which i assume he will do the same thing. If you guys live separate for more than 6 months then you can file separate return. 

how did he file the return online or with somebody? in any case all the previous information saved all ready he would use it if you guys live together.

Money does not have to go to joint account.  

someone has to look at your last year's return to see if he collected the money? How much did he collect it should say on your 1040 form. 

Edited by balo101

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
13 hours ago, Lordhelpme said:

You can file amended taxes and add ur income to address the IRS debt. You need to file for divorce. If he files after u are divorce it is tax fraud. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 1/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, Shroy123 said:

You should do medical because they will ask for it. I would say file your 2019 taxes and bring your w2s for interview.. 

Bring your job letter if you are working they asked me for mine

19 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

If you don't have a SSN, it simply means to get one! You need the PF and SSN to get the Fin Aid. If you read previous posts on this thread, you'll understand more.👍

I already have a SSN with my C9 EAD and I just thought I have to make something to secure it when you said that. Sorry I got confused. All clear now.

I’ve been following this thread on and off but I’ll try to read more. Thank you for being patient with my questions :) 

I’m so purely happy about my I360 approval, I keep checking the online status page everyday because it feels like it’s not real. I’m waiting for my c31 EAD to arrive :)

Filed: Other Timeline
On 1/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, Lordhelpme said:

I will advise you to get a good tax filer and have them file an amended tax return (1040x).

be honest and opened with your filer. It will help you in the long run and shouldn’t affect your immigration status 

8 hours ago, greenbird said:

I already have a SSN with my C9 EAD and I just thought I have to make something to secure it when you said that. Sorry I got confused. All clear now.

I’ve been following this thread on and off but I’ll try to read more. Thank you for being patient with my questions :) 

I’m so purely happy about my I360 approval, I keep checking the online status page everyday because it feels like it’s not real. I’m waiting for my c31 EAD to arrive :)

@greenbird Congratulations on C31 Approval. that is a big milestone? I just received my C09 EAD and wanted to know if you were able to get Driver's license and how long was the expiration of the DL? Was it a temp DL?

6 hours ago, hopingwgrace said:

@greenbird Congratulations on C31 Approval. that is a big milestone? I just received my C09 EAD and wanted to know if you were able to get Driver's license and how long was the expiration of the DL? Was it a temp DL?

Thank you so much 😊 Yes it is big. I’m so happy they didn’t send me RFE or anything. I’m really exhausted with this waiting and uncertainty, I wanna be able to control my life again. Just really mentally tired with all this. But hopefully if I don’t have any problem with my interview I’ll probably have a GC in a year. 

So yes I got my first DL with my C09 EAD. They gave me expiration date as the date my EAD expires. My EAD was valid for 1 year so my DL was valid for about 1 year. But the next time I went to DMV to renew my DL  (with my renewed C09 EAD with 1 year validity) they gave me DL for 3 years. 

It is not a temp DL, I actually got the Real ID category DL. You know the one we need to fly in U.S. starting this year. 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/18/2020 at 6:39 AM, balo101 said:

If he filed joint return then it is good for you. It would help you in immigration matters.

I do not know if you filed amendment return once you got your W2. If he did not show your income then you have option to file amendment return where you can add your income. by understanding your post, if he showed 0 income for you and you guys owe $ 1200 then i believe you would owe more once you will add your income. that's what i understood. You can talk to a professional tax prepare or i have to look at the documents. 

If you guys still live together then by law you have to file joint return which i assume he will do the same thing. If you guys live separate for more than 6 months then you can file separate return. 

how did he file the return online or with somebody? in any case all the previous information saved all ready he would use it if you guys live together.

Money does not have to go to joint account.  

someone has to look at your last year's return to see if he collected the money? How much did he collect it should say on your 1040 form. 

The law does not require the couple must file the tax return jointly .The person can file as a married filing separately .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.