ishatu

Marriage right after interview

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, ishatu said:

No im going to take Georian's advice and have a court wedding in the US and go back for a big celebration later.

That's all u can do or switch to cr1

1 minute ago, AnnaLee24 said:

You could do the ceremony in his country but not legally get married. Like some people have a quickie marriage at the courthouse and then do the big ceremony at a later date but in reverse.

This is shaky ground, especially for African countries.  Such actions have come back to haunt people later.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, AnnaLee24 said:

You could do the ceremony in his country but not legally get married. Like some people have a quickie marriage at the courthouse and then do the big ceremony at a later date but in reverse.

Exactly our plan

2 minutes ago, BoostFreak12 said:

No, I'll need to marry outside Philippines.... And gave to go back to Phil after and do a party and celebrate.... That's our plans...

The OP's country is clearly Gambia.

3 hours ago, AnnaLee24 said:

I’d be very careful of doing this... it’s backfired a lot, USCIS have considered an engagement ceremony of some countries as the wedding one which have resulted in visa denial.... I wouldn’t recommend any form of wedding ceremony prior to getting married in the USA 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’d be very careful of doing this... it’s backfired a lot, USCIS have considered an engagement ceremony of some countries as the wedding one which have resulted in visa denial.... I wouldn’t recommend any form of wedding ceremony prior to getting married in the USA 

I would wait until i had visa in hand before the ceremony. but like i said we are going to do it the right way and do court house wedding in the U.S. and wedding in his country later.

1 hour ago, ishatu said:

I would wait until i had visa in hand before the ceremony. but like i said we are going to do it the right way and do court house wedding in the U.S. and wedding in his country later.

Having visa in hand does not mean you are not risking everything.  That can still come back to haunt you later on in the process.....there have been folks who had their immigration benefit removed years down the line for doing that.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, ishatu said:

No im going to take Georian's advice and have a court wedding in the US and go back for a big celebration later.

Maybe also read the guides here so that you’re not surprised with common information.

Just incase you don’t know, once the US marriage happens, you will file for an adjustment of status, an employment authorization document (EAD), and advanced parole (AP).  Until the EAD is approved, your new spouse cannot work in the US.  Until the AP is approved, you’re new spouse should stay within the US, as they will have no legal route for re-entry.  

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
6 hours ago, AnnaLee24 said:

You could do the ceremony in his country but not legally get married. 

Bad horrible idea.  Many people have had trouble because of this . . . USCIS questioning whether they got legally married, improperly used the K-1, and hid the marriage certificate.  People have been burned.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** locked as OP got the correct answer and made his decision.  OP is free to open another thread if needed.  *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.