Cndn

Giving birth to baby in Canada while waiting for AOS interview

57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Cndn said:

That’s what I was wondering too! I’m not sure how they would know but of course don’t want to do anything that would not be in accordance with immigration laws. Confused as to how it all works though. 

Immigration officer:  "I see you gave birth in Canada,  how did you pay for this?"

YMMV

I guess baby will need to be born in the States 👶

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

1 minute ago, zochu said:

I guess baby will need to be born in the States 👶

I’m going to check out what it cost to pay privately. I don’t think a birth here will cost you as much as in the states. I don’t think I’m on Canadian medical anymore anyway so I’d have pay privately for that reason alone. If I go that route I’ll just make sure I have the proof of payment at the interview 😬

Just now, Cndn said:

I’m going to check out what it cost to pay privately. I don’t think a birth here will cost you as much as in the states. I don’t think I’m on Canadian medical anymore anyway so I’d have pay privately for that reason alone. If I go that route I’ll just make sure I have the proof of payment at the interview 😬

Ah good luck! We have a universal health care system and even our private sector is relatively expensive. Probably not compared to that of the States though. I hope you get the GC and baby arrives safely! 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

There's nothing inherently wrong with the plan. In fact, you are far from the first person to do so.

Just be aware of the possible consequences - namely in terms of coverage and if there are any complications with the birth.

While it's unlikely that the US would actually find out if one claimed residency in Canada in order to obtain coverage, it's much more likely (and certainly has happened) that Canada became aware of the lack of actual residency and sends an unexpected bill once they do.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If money is not an issue then have the baby wherever you want to since you have the AP card.  Do your homework so that you know upfront what the potential costs are in both countries, for a normal birth, and if there are complications, etc...  health care costs are very difficult to predict so know in advance what the financial risks and implications of your decision could be, paying out of pocket in Canada as a US resident vs. using your US health insurance which I assume you have to give birth in the US.  If you're 8 months pregnant I assume that you have been seeing a doctor in the US during the pregnancy?  Since your family lives so close to the US where you live, why not have the baby in the US with the doctor you have been going to for pre-natal visits and your family can come to the US for the birth and visit and help you in your own home?  That way you can be with your spouse too.  Congratulations on the upcoming birth and good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't see it being an issue at all to your immigration process.  Also, since your baby's father is USC, he automatically gets U.S. citizenship, and o look into getting CRBA for the baby.  I'm sure you knew all that already though. Congrats BTW! 

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with the plan. In fact, you are far from the first person to do so.

Just be aware of the possible consequences - namely in terms of coverage and if there are any complications with the birth.

While it's unlikely that the US would actually find out if one claimed residency in Canada in order to obtain coverage, it's much more likely (and certainly has happened) that Canada became aware of the lack of actual residency and sends an unexpected bill once they do.

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

Also, since your baby's father is USC, he automatically gets U.S. citizenship

In most cases, yes. Depends if the parent meets the requirements to pass citizenship to a child or not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

If money is not an issue then have the baby wherever you want to since you have the AP card.  Do your homework so that you know upfront what the potential costs are in both countries, for a normal birth, and if there are complications, etc...  health care costs are very difficult to predict so know in advance what the financial risks and implications of your decision could be, paying out of pocket in Canada as a US resident vs. using your US health insurance which I assume you have to give birth in the US.  If you're 8 months pregnant I assume that you have been seeing a doctor in the US during the pregnancy?  Since your family lives so close to the US where you live, why not have the baby in the US with the doctor you have been going to for pre-natal visits and your family can come to the US for the birth and visit and help you in your own home?  That way you can be with your spouse too.  Congratulations on the upcoming birth and good luck!

Hi, 

Yes I’m insured in the US and I have been undergoing all my prenatal care at a hospital maternity unit. I like my OB and where I am just fine, and my family could and would certainly be there for the birth. My husband works so much and cannot take time off work, and he has to care for my stepdaughter as well and cannot really help me when the baby is born. I am hoping to stay at my mother’s house because she is much more available to help me after the birth. I wanted to go straight from the hospital to my mother’s house and stay for 6-8 weeks until I’m recovered. I would of course monitor my case status and make sure my interview hadn’t been scheduled during this time. I’m pretty confident my interview won’t be for a while. I wanted to avoid the hassle of potentially traveling with a newborn across the border. 

13 minutes ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

I don't see it being an issue at all to your immigration process.  Also, since your baby's father is USC, he automatically gets U.S. citizenship, and o look into getting CRBA for the baby.  I'm sure you knew all that already though. Congrats BTW! 

Thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Cndn said:

Hi

I am almost 8 months pregnant. For many reasons I want to give birth to my baby in my home country (Canada) and not the US. I came to the US on a K1 and filed for adjustment of status. I am waiting for the green card interview. I have my advanced parole/EAD authorization card. My interview has not even been scheduled yet but I think it will take place some time next year. My question is would giving birth in Canada cause any problems with my immigration? Would they have some issue with me not giving birth in the US? 

Can you check for Midwife and home birth?  A lot cheaper and the Midwife is connected with a doctor just in case there are birthing complications. My sister had a home birth.  Midwife takes care of it all I guess, the birth certificate and all.  probably some places won't allow home births.  Just a suggestion, and as another mentioned, since you are close, that your family come visit you in the US.  It would seem a whole lot easier on you.  Good luck with everything!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
51 minutes ago, geowrian said:

In most cases, yes. Depends if the parent meets the requirements to pass citizenship to a child or not.

Correct. 

51 minutes ago, Cndn said:

Hi, 

Yes I’m insured in the US and I have been undergoing all my prenatal care at a hospital maternity unit. I like my OB and where I am just fine, and my family could and would certainly be there for the birth. My husband works so much and cannot take time off work, and he has to care for my stepdaughter as well and cannot really help me when the baby is born. I am hoping to stay at my mother’s house because she is much more available to help me after the birth. I wanted to go straight from the hospital to my mother’s house and stay for 6-8 weeks until I’m recovered. I would of course monitor my case status and make sure my interview hadn’t been scheduled during this time. I’m pretty confident my interview won’t be for a while. I wanted to avoid the hassle of potentially traveling with a newborn across the border. 

Thank you 

you're most welcome. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obvious first thing to check is if your Insurance would cover Canada, if not how will you pay for it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 hours ago, zochu said:

Are you guaranteed re-entry into the States with advanced parole?

Traveling with Advance Parole is very low risk. Only US nationals (i.e. US citizens, American Samoans, Swains Islanders, and CNMI individuals that chose not to get US citizenship) and American Indians born in Canada (with at least 50% American Indian blood) are guaranteed entry to the US and can't be deported.

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.