Medical0014

Failing marriage [merged threads]

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and I entered the marriage in good faith, but when I came to the US he suddenly changed. He is now saying that he doesn’t love me anymore but he said that he is willing to continue the petition and we will hire an immigration attorney during the process. Can a immigration attorney help us with our current situation? We can’t live together because we keep on fighting and I don’t want us to end up hurting each other.

I'm sorry you're facing this situation. I once heard of a girl whose husband was cheating on her. She was able to demonstrate that the break up wasn't her fault and she got her GC. I guess as long as you can show evidence that you had a true relationship but now things are not working for you guys you can still get your GC. It's very good how he still wants to help! 

Timeline

My husband and I entered the marriage in good faith. We we’re college sweethearts back then and we are both Filipinos by the way, we graduated and he went back here to the US and a year after that he took me here by K1 Visa. When I got here in the US, everything changed. He became a totally different person from when I was in my home country, all the promises and plans were all gone. We had fought a lot of times and we can’t work out on our differences and he clearly doesn’t want to compromise. He is saying that he doesn’t want me anymore because he fell out of love. We are both worried about the interview, should we tell the truth that our marriage is not working out? Will that be a reason for denial? We are planning to hire an immigration attorney. Would an immigration attorney be a help to us? HELP PLEASE. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Medical0014 said:

My husband and I entered the marriage in good faith. We we’re college sweethearts back then and we are both Filipinos by the way, we graduated and he went back here to the US and a year after that he took me here by K1 Visa. When I got here in the US, everything changed. He became a totally different person from when I was in my home country, all the promises and plans were all gone. We had fought a lot of times and we can’t work out on our differences and he clearly doesn’t want to compromise. He is saying that he doesn’t want me anymore because he fell out of love. We are both worried about the interview, should we tell the truth that our marriage is not working out? Will that be a reason for denial? We are planning to hire an immigration attorney. Would an immigration attorney be a help to us? HELP PLEASE. 

You have to be truthful all the time especially on your interview.  I know it’s sad to see a relationship fall apart, but please don’t go to your interview and pretend that things are okay between the two of you.  It’s unfair to other couples who jumps thru hoops just to prove to the immigration officer that their marriage is real.  

1 hour ago, Medical0014 said:

We can’t live together because we keep on fighting and I don’t want us to end up hurting each other.

First of all, you should at least separate. Also, you can start divorce proceedings if you wish; if you divorce you can still get the green card per Matter of Sesayhttps://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/eoir/legacy/2014/07/25/3707.pdf "We determine that a fiancé(e) visa holder is eligible to adjust under section 245(a) of the Act if, at the time of adjustment, the applicant can demonstrate that he or she entered into a valid marriage to the fiancé(e) petitioner within the 90-day period, provided that the requirements of section 216 do not apply. The statute does not require that the marriage exist at the time that the application is adjudicated outside the section 216 time frame. Also, a divorce before adjustment does not terminate the underlying I-129F petition. Like other adjustment applicants, the fiancé(e) must establish that he or she is admissible to the United States and that adjustment should be granted in the exercise of discretion."

From the policy manual: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-7

Marriage Legally Terminated

A nonimmigrant fiancé(e) who contracts a valid and bona fide marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner within the requisite 90-day time period remains eligible to adjust status on that basis, even if the marriage is legally terminated (whether by death, dissolution, or divorce) prior to adjustment of status and regardless of whether the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) remarries thereafter. The applicant remains subject to all conditional permanent residency requirements, if applicable.

1 hour ago, Medical0014 said:

but he said that he is willing to continue the petition and we will hire an immigration attorney during the process.

As long as he doesn't withdraw the I-864 then you are good.

51 minutes ago, Danhuqui said:

I once heard of a girl whose husband was cheating on her. She was able to demonstrate that the break up wasn't her fault and she got her GC.

I assume that case was a K-1 and her husband didn't withdraw the I-864.

Edited by HRQX

Withdrawal of the I-864 or not is the first major item. That's a big, potentially lifelong financial commitment for something that has no obvious benefit for him.

Second issue is showing a bona fide marriage at the time. While possible under Sesay (as noted above), it can also be an uphill battle for short marriages.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
15 hours ago, Medical0014 said:

We had fought a lot of times and we can’t work out on our differences and he clearly doesn’t want to compromise. He is saying that he doesn’t want me anymore because he fell out of love. We are both worried about the interview

why is he worried about the interview?  He sounds like he wants you to stay in the country but admitted he no longer in love with you. if you guys are staying friends, you can't lie to the immigration officer, you'll be surprised how well they are trained to read people.   He is still your sponsor and still needs to support you until you leave the country or become a USC.  so what does he want? a lawyer just helps you file, he inst gonna save your marriage.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
4 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

why is he worried about the interview?  He sounds like he wants you to stay in the country but admitted he no longer in love with you. if you guys are staying friends, you can't lie to the immigration officer, you'll be surprised how well they are trained to read people.   He is still your sponsor and still needs to support you until you leave the country or become a USC.  so what does he want? a lawyer just helps you file, he inst gonna save your marriage.

We don’t know if we should tell the truth to the officer because it might end up to a denial of my adjustment of status. He wants me stay here for my future as a nurse. I am a registered nurse here and I’m just waiting for my EAD to get started working. He still cares for me and wants me to have a great life here in america but the thing is he doesn’t want to be with me anymore because I’ve been emotional ever since I got here, we’ve been fighting a lot over small things, I don’t know what i’ve done wrong for him to change the way he feel towards me. I just got here 4 months ago—adjusting with my new family (we live in his parents house), i have no job and I still don’t know how to drive and i don’t have friends here. I think he is fed up with all my drama. Clearly he doesn’t understand what I am going through because he grew up here. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Medical0014 said:

We don’t know if we should tell the truth to the officer because it might end up to a denial of my adjustment of status. He wants me stay here for my future as a nurse. I am a registered nurse here and I’m just waiting for my EAD to get started working. He still cares for me and wants me to have a great life here in america but the thing is he doesn’t want to be with me anymore because I’ve been emotional ever since I got here, we’ve been fighting a lot over small things, I don’t know what i’ve done wrong for him to change the way he feel towards me. I just got here 4 months ago—adjusting with my new family (we live in his parents house), i have no job and I still don’t know how to drive and i don’t have friends here. I think he is fed up with all my drama. Clearly he doesn’t understand what I am going through because he grew up here. 

No that it helps you, but my wife and I argued a lot during the long wait for the EAD as I am sure she felt useless and all.  But we stuck it out, like most here and every day we are happy we did.  We are a team, partners, not just married.  We make each other laugh all the time, and we are together constantly, we have movie night, date night, etc.  Ask yourself what it was you saw in him and he in you that you were sweethearts back then, and now don't want to be at all...      I can understand as well, your lack of work plays a big part, especially since he can't afford to leave his parents house to even have your own lives together, alone.  That can play a big part of the frustrations.  Perhaps get some time away,  use FB to meet some friends, or go and volunteer somewhere.  Give him time to miss you. Things might change for the better, so I would not give up so easily.  just my humble Opine.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

No that it helps you, but my wife and I argued a lot during the long wait for the EAD as I am sure she felt useless and all.  But we stuck it out, like most here and every day we are happy we did.  We are a team, partners, not just married.  We make each other laugh all the time, and we are together constantly, we have movie night, date night, etc.  Ask yourself what it was you saw in him and he in you that you were sweethearts back then, and now don't want to be at all...      I can understand as well, your lack of work plays a big part, especially since he can't afford to leave his parents house to even have your own lives together, alone.  That can play a big part of the frustrations.  Perhaps get some time away,  use FB to meet some friends, or go and volunteer somewhere.  Give him time to miss you. Things might change for the better, so I would not give up so easily.  just my humble Opine.

Thank you for your opinion, I hope everything would turn out fine. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Essentially duplicate threads have been merged.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• TBoneTX changed the title to Failing marriage [merged threads]
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from AOS Family - as similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.