Alaina12

Moving from UK to New York

44 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Alaina12 said:

We understand about desperate job offers.

How do you get an existing relationship with an employer?

From abroad? A close to 0 chance. The fact that your brother does not have a degree limits his options severely. As @geowrian suggested, try and find an employer where you are now that also has offices in the US. Then you could eventually try and get a visa that way. Other ways will be very slim. Simply wanting to work In the US does not make you eligible for a visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No apparent short term route, look at it as a 10 year project. Accountancy could take you into the big Multi National Accounting forms and get a transfer.

Brother, seems to have no route.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

To be blunt about it, getting anyone to spend time and money sponsoring two people whose current highest qualification is high school is just about impossible. Diversity visa may be a lottery but at a couple of percent chance of selection for Oceania region, it’s still probably a better bet than this....

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Alaina12 said:

I have my diploma in management, currently studying accounting.

My brother just barely pass high school as he has dyslexia.

Just curious. On what grounds do you think your brother would be eligible for a visa? The uscis and state department sites are actually pretty good at listing out all the different visa options. 

Is a diploma equivalent to a 2 year or 4 year degree? Is your current study equivalent of a bachelors or masters?

Just now, Alaina12 said:

I have my diploma in management, currently studying accounting.

My brother just barely pass high school as he has dyslexia.

Your first post said you were first year accounting, so I was going by that information. What kind of diploma is it ? Is it equivalent to a recognized university degree? If not, it’s still unlikely to get you near a job sponsorship, best approach is to use it to get a job where you are and try transfer later once you reach a more senior position.

i’m sorry your brother did not receive adequate support for his disability in school. Unfortunately the disability doesn’t change the fact of the qualification he can show.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Perhaps one of you will come up on the DV?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just so you understand where we are coming from, as it seems you may not have done the research. Some info below on what is required to get sponsorship. You can judge for yourself if you think you can fit in somewhere.

The main work visas are H1B (oversubscribed and allocated by lottery, so just having an employer sponsor you doesn’t guarantee anything) and O visas. Requirements below. Neither of these are guaranteed paths to green cards.

H1B :

The job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify as a specialty occupation:

• Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position
  • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.*

For you to qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation you must meet one of the following criteria:

• Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university
  • Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation
  • Hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment
  • Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.

O visa:

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.
The O nonimmigrant classification is commonly referred to as:

• O-1A: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (not including the arts, motion pictures or television industry)
  • O-1B: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry
  • O-2: individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance.  For an O-1A, the O-2’s assistance must be an “integral part” of the O-1A’s activity. For an O-1B, the O-2’s assistance must be “essential” to the completion of the O-1B’s production. The O-2 worker has critical skills and experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1
  • O-3: individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1’s and O-2’s

General Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for an O-1 visa, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim and must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability.

Extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business or athletics means a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of the small percentage who has risen to the very top of the field of endeavor.

Extraordinary ability in the field of arts means distinction.  Distinction means a high level of achievement in the field of the arts evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that a person described as prominent is renowned, leading, or well-known in the field of arts.

To qualify for an O-1 visa in the motion picture or television industry, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition significantly above that ordinarily encountered to the extent the person is recognized as outstanding, notable or leading in the motion picture and/or television field.

The categories below list the requirements for an employment-sponsored green card.

Permanent Worker Visa Preference Categories

Preferences

General Description

Labor Certification Required?

First Preference EB-1

This preference is reserved for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers.

No

Second Preference EB-2

This preference is reserved for persons who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or for persons with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business.

Yes, unless applicant can obtain a national interest waiver (See the “Labor Certification” page for more waiver information.)

Third Preference EB-3

This preference is reserved for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers. (See Third Preference EB-3 page for further definition of these job classifications.)

Yes

Fourth Preference EB-4

This preference is reserved for “special immigrants,” which includes certain religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, alien minors who are wards of courts in the United States, and other classes of aliens.

No

Fifth Preference EB-5

This preference is reserved for business investors who invest $1 million or $500,000 (if the investment is made in a targeted employment area) in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.

4 minutes ago, Alaina12 said:

Both qualifications a recognised as university qualifications. I'm in my first years of my bachelor's now.

I did my 2 year diploma 9 years ago

A two year diploma is not a degree, even if it comes from a university. Please see the post just above this one that details what qualifications are recognized.

3 minutes ago, Alaina12 said:

Back up option! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We need to renew our NZ passport first!

No, you don’t. You just need your birth certificates. Doesn’t matter what passport you present.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Alaina12 said:

Both qualifications a recognised as university qualifications. I'm in my first years of my bachelor's now.

I did my 2 year diploma 9 years ago

If you are in the first year of a 4 year degree what kind of employer are you expecting would hire you?

How about a summer in the US?  It wouldn't be a glamorous job,  but could be your easiest bet.

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/

Your brother might be able to get an H2 visa.

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

17 minutes ago, kiwibean said:

How about a summer in the US?  It wouldn't be a glamorous job,  but could be your easiest bet.

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/

Your brother might be able to get an H2 visa.

As long as they understand these are seasonal, temporary jobs and not a basis to “move to” the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.