Myn4kix

Using a law firm to file K-1 visa request

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm using a law firm to file our K-1 visa request and make sure I don't miss anything.

I know this will not speed up the process, I'm just paying to get it done right the first time.

I hired Law Offices of Lawrence Gruner, Inc. Sacramento. 

Anybody else use a firm for this? If so how was the experience?

Our application was mailed this week Oct.1 and waiting for receipt 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We used an attorney (not your attorney) for my wife's CR-1.  In my opinion, they failed to send some documents, and provided us with inaccurate information which delayed our case by several months.  As a result, our case was at NVC for 23 weeks.........We did not use an attorney for her ROC.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you are responsible for the application and documents being correct

so,  check all from the attorney to make sure there are no mistakes

you already signed and it was sent but still check it and send notice to correct if needed

one attorney left children off the application

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

one attorney left children off the application

As well as other similar egregious errors 

YMMV

I never used an attorney for anything in my 17 years in the US. I did all my applications on my own, and I was on J1, F1, CPT, OPT, H1B, AOS, and naturalization. I also did my sister-in-law’s ROC and naturalization, as well as another sister-in-law’s CR1, then her husband’s ROC and now his naturalization. Oh And I sponsored my mom IR5 as well. I never had any problems, no denials whatsoever. I only received 1 RFE in my life, and that was on the I-140 that my employer’s lawyer filed ( no surprise there) which wasn’t even my application but it was part of my AOS of course. 

That’s not to put down immigration lawyers. There are some really good honest high caliber lawyer (and some really bad slimy ones too). You need to realize what lawyers are good for, which are filing briefs, legal documents, writs, lawsuits, arguing in courts.... basically putting legal arguments together, citing precedents and relevant case laws. What they’re not good for: filling forms!

4 hours ago, Myn4kix said:

I'm using a law firm to file our K-1 visa request and make sure I don't miss anything.

I know this will not speed up the process, I'm just paying to get it done right the first time.

Unfortunately, "paying to get it done right the first time" has not been the experience of many here who went through attorneys.  Unless someone has a criminal background or needs a waiver of some sort, they tend to create delays for many people.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Myn4kix said:

There are many people on this DIY immigration site that would likely disagree with your notion that the use of an immigration attorney is " to make sure it is done right the first time." Actually, there are likely several folks that are quite disappointed with the mediocre to poor service they received from immigration attorneys working on simple, uncomplicated cases. A competent immigration attorney is likely very much necessary for complicated difficult multi-faceted cases. 

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

15 hours ago, Myn4kix said:

There is no guarantee in that. In fact, if I had time, I would post several VJ threads of examples how lawyers messed up cases of members here. I think the most recent was one that was posted last week or two.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Like service, it varies with the attorney.    My Attorney charged me $4500.  (later I realized.. errr why so high).

She did make a few mistakes like beneficiary country is a province, a field left unchecked in I-134 etc.

But the value she provided was more of front loading the USCIS part.  My wedding package was about 40 pages, way beyond the 2 signed letters.   Relationship proof was 9 trips at submission with photos tickets itinerary receipts etc.

My Law brushes certified copies were checked by her, but the most important part was she was able to explain to my beneficiary in mandarin what to do, what to expect in Guangzhou China, and dry run Q&A.

Worth it or not? I am not sure.  but we have no RFE, now P3 phase.

NOA1 5/28/19

NOA2 8/28/19

NVC 9/25/19

Arrive Emabassy 10/7/19

Admin Processing 10/10/19

Edited by flfreddy

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Good lord $4500 for a k1 application. I am in the wrong business for sure. Save yourself the money and spend a couple hours doing it yourself. If you can kinda read and kinda follow directions you can do it. Any questions just come here for advice from people that have gone through it. Most here want to help others succeed and help for free without digging every dime out of you. IMO this is far too important to leave in the hands of someone who really doesnt care (at the end of the day they are doing it for money and not to help you out) whether you get approved or denied. If they were invested in it as much as you they would refund your money on reasonable denial.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
12 hours ago, Dxc said:

Good lord $4500 for a k1 application. I am in the wrong business for sure. Save yourself the money and spend a couple hours doing it yourself. If you can kinda read and kinda follow directions you can do it. Any questions just come here for advice from people that have gone through it. Most here want to help others succeed and help for free without digging every dime out of you. IMO this is far too important to leave in the hands of someone who really doesnt care (at the end of the day they are doing it for money and not to help you out) whether you get approved or denied. If they were invested in it as much as you they would refund your money on reasonable denial.

The deviation from a simple case was because of my previous brush with law and its 2nd K1.   So its high i agree, but value in the advice and details maybe.  I am thinking AOS later just DIY with VJ help.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Timeline
22 hours ago, Dxc said:

Too bad I didn't find out about this site until after I signed the contract.

Timeline
On 10/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, Unlockable said:

There is no guarantee in that. In fact, if I had time, I would post several VJ threads of examples how lawyers messed up cases of members here. I think the most recent was one that was posted last week or two.

I wish I had found this site before I signed the contract. I'll track my progress so others can compare.

Timeline

I wish I had found this site sooner I would have taken heed of the warnings regarding using a visa services.

The Larwence Gruner Law firm said my application was mailed the last week of September. No exact date provided. 

Here on the 16th of October I still have not been notified of receipt. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.