timquark

Which Visa? J-1? K-1? O?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, timquark said:

That's wonderfully helpful!  Thank you.  Everyone on this forum seems so willing to offer clear advice.  I certainly don't want to fraudulantly apply for a J-1!  CR-1 certainly looks like my best option :)

It depends if you are ready to marry right now, before you start any process and the processing time wait.  With a K1, you could push the start button this week and work out marriage plans a bit while processing. Maybe you need time to get the kids warmed to the idea or whatever.  So you arrive in Cali, have up to 90 days to marry, and must apply for a work permit and greencard. That's the spanner in the works for some because it's a wait, albeit a wait in the US, not in Blighty.  Everybody poo poos K1, but for me we couldn't arrange immediate marriage but wanted to hit the start button on immigration  instead of 6 months later. It didn't matter that I get a day job immediately upon arrival. Maybe you don't need that either. Work on a new book or something? But if you bore easily not having a day job, then it's not for you.

Figure out what fits your needs best, but definitely K1 (fiancé) or CR1 (spouse) are the path to permanently living in the US over your other ideas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure with her having children another non earner would be appreciated.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Not sure with her having children another non earner would be appreciated.

Well only he/she know for sure. Some people on VJ have 50 cents in savings and some have half a million quid. Some have $15k jobs and some have $150k jobs. All things to evaluate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Well only he/she know for sure. Some people on VJ have 50 cents in savings and some have half a million quid. Some have $15k jobs and some have $150k jobs. All things to evaluate. 

Agree.  My husband and I chose the K1 to be together quicker (which, isn’t really a selling point right now), so we were able to plan (read:save) for the months that I would be without work authorization.  

I think K1 is still a good option for some folks.  OP and his significant other might be able to swing a few months without work/travel authorization.  

It makes me happy to see people research their options PRIOR to filing anything.  Cuts down on the amount of head/heartache they will face during the journey. 

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Going the employment versus marriage route is a very personal choice. My opinion is that you should really think through what you really want and, if you are still interested in the employment route, have a consultation to determine your chances of success for the O  - for which you will most probably need a job. Also, you may inquire during the consultation about whether the home residency requirement would apply in your case if you were on the J, as there are lots of factors involved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.