31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After marriage on a k1 visa .. when can you file for the adjustment! Do we have to wait for the state to send anything back ! Are once we have marriage license we can apply ? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rusk Marcotte said:

After marriage on a k1 visa .. when can you file for the adjustment! Do we have to wait for the state to send anything back ! Are once we have marriage license we can apply ? 

Registered Marriage certificate not the marriage license 

YMMV

Timeline

So I guess when I go to the clerks office after the marriage to file they will give me a certificate of marriage? This is what they need ? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Rusk Marcotte said:

So I guess when I go to the clerks office after the marriage to file they will give me a certificate of marriage? This is what they need ? 

Yes, you need the certificate validated by the appropriate office.  Depends on your state.   Ours took 5 days.  

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Rusk Marcotte said:

Yes

i would file it as soon as possible after marriage

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 hour ago, Rusk Marcotte said:

Marriage license is not priof of marriage. A person can get a marriage license and get cold feet at the last minute and not get actually married.

You need the marriage certificate. Anytime after that you can apply for AOS.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Marriage license is not priof of marriage. A person can get a marriage license and get cold feet at the last minute and not get actually married.

You need the marriage certificate. Anytime after that you can apply for AOS.

It might be confusing or language barrier in the OPs question.

There are states where you are never going to get a marriage certificate. After marriage you return your license for filing and when you need proof they printed out the same license and it had a filing number and that fancy seal. 

So OP after getting married you need to return the marriage license and depending on your state you might get a marriage cetificate or the same license but certified and field. The key is to return it first and then request a copy of it after filing.

To clarify the above, in some states the marriage license is also the marriage certificate once it is signed by the officiant and both parties.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, Rusk Marcotte said:

Yes, get a few of them. Not sure what the price in New Orleans is, over here it was $15 per copy. They were ready to be printed about a week after marriage, but might take longer. That is the only thing you have to wait for after marriage. 
In the mean time print out I-94, will need a few of those either, and fill out I-864 + tax transcript. If you do not file it in next 2 weeks or so, the I-864 and I-485 will be no longer valid after Oct 15. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Yes, get a few of them. Not sure what the price in New Orleans is, over here it was $15 per copy. They were ready to be printed about a week after marriage, but might take longer. That is the only thing you have to wait for after marriage. 
In the mean time print out I-94, will need a few of those either, and fill out I-864 + tax transcript. If you do not file it in next 2 weeks or so, the I-864 and I-485 will be no longer valid after Oct 15. 

Yes but we still have the date of Oct 26 th ! When we get married ! I know they are changing 

the form but we will just have to wait ! I am sure 

they will roll out there new forms ! Are just have us file under the old ones if not ready ! I don’t think the change will affect me because of income ! 

10 hours ago, payxibka said:

Registered Marriage certificate not the marriage license 

In some states like mine (Texas) the marriage license and the certificate are one in the same. The license becomes a certificate once the marriage has taken place and it is filed  and registered. Just a tid bit of information for you. I also got them within a few minutes after marriage. 😊

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

In some states like mine (Texas) the marriage license and the certificate are one in the same. The license becomes a certificate once the marriage has taken place and it is filed  and registered. Just a tid bit of information for you. I also got them within a few minutes after marriage. 😊

For me?  I'm already married....

YMMV

17 minutes ago, payxibka said:

For me?  I'm already married....

No just the information I meant!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.