aspettando

Should I file now?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just got married in August and my wife is still in Colombia. I would like to bring her asap but I am planning to spend June 2020-August 2021 in Colombia and then come back. Does it make sense to file to bring her here now? What if I would like her to come and visit?

Thank you for the advise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

With the average processing times for a CR1 14+ months, you may want to wait a couple of months to file to fit your timeline (if you file now, she could conceivably get her visa Dec 2020, and it is good for six months).  As for her visiting, she can apply for a B2 visa.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

With the average processing times for a CR1 14+ months, you may want to wait a couple of months to file to fit your timeline (if you file now, she could conceivably get her visa Dec 2020, and it is good for six months).  As for her visiting, she can apply for a B2 visa.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just know you need to file tax returns even for the time out of the states 

over $100,000 foreign income exempt

but tax transcripts are asked for to complete the process

some just use a W2 and letter from employer to show current income 

but you still need to file 

You could file now and you could delay at the NVC stage. Only thing is having the mailing address before hand 

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

just know you need to file tax returns even for the time out of the states 

over $100,000 foreign income exempt

but tax transcripts are asked for to complete the process

some just use a W2 and letter from employer to show current income 

but you still need to file 

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, JMPM said:

You could file now and you could delay at the NVC stage. Only thing is having the mailing address before hand 

Thank you.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

People can apply for anything.  B2 is a visitor visa alright but the chances of a spouse of a US Citizen successfully applying for one are slim and none.  A person with immigrant intent is, by definition, not qualified to receive a non-immigrant visa.  There are some rare exceptions made but not simply because, "She wants to visit."

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
8 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

People can apply for anything.  B2 is a visitor visa alright but the chances of a spouse of a US Citizen successfully applying for one are slim and none.  A person with immigrant intent is, by definition, not qualified to receive a non-immigrant visa.  There are some rare exceptions made but not simply because, "She wants to visit."

Thank you for the warning.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

At your wife's spousal visa interview in Colombia, about 14 months after filing the I-130 petition if all goes well, you will need to provide evidence of sufficient, current, US-based income to sponsor her, or have a joint sponsor lined up.  Also you'll need to provide evidence of US domicile.  Do more research on these two issues so that you are prepared when the time comes.  There is nothing fast about this process, be prepared for a long wait.  Good luck!

Timeline
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

At your wife's spousal visa interview in Colombia, about 14 months after filing the I-130 petition if all goes well, you will need to provide evidence of sufficient, current, US-based income to sponsor her, or have a joint sponsor lined up.  Also you'll need to provide evidence of US domicile.  Do more research on these two issues so that you are prepared when the time comes.  There is nothing fast about this process, be prepared for a long wait.  Good luck!

Thank you.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, carmel34 said:

True, probably, but the affidavit of support is submitted to NVC 3 or 4 months (or more) BEFORE the visa interview in Bogota.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi ! Definitely do some research on what’s best for your situation but if I were you I’d apply now. It took me 11 months to get my CR1 approved and my interview was in Bogota

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Filed: Other Timeline

Also, you can file whenever and keep the petition alive by delaying your response when you receive RFE or keep on rescheduling the interview process. I believe you can keep the petition alive after approval for 1 year++ maybe... this is what i read here, and others could confirm/refute.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, abum said:

Also, you can file whenever and keep the petition alive by delaying your response when you receive RFE or keep on rescheduling the interview process. I believe you can keep the petition alive after approval for 1 year++ maybe... this is what i read here, and others could confirm/refute.

Instead of rescheduling the interview, you can delay the NVC process by filing different forms (DS-260 etc.) as late as possible and not filing all the forms at the same time. You can delay he NVC process up to 1 year as you mentioned. 

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Timeline
On 9/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, carmel34 said:

Thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.