TheBs

K1 Denied without Denial slip

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

It is really hard to say what the reason is here. It could be that they have information you don't about your fiancé or it could just be the only one visit.

Lots of us in immigration situations make choices about marriage ceremonies that we wouldn't otherwise make.  You'll have to really put some thought into what is most important to you.

Total aside: I see you are from MN (me too), but can I ask about something that I've seen a few other locally do? Why are you using "n" instead of "and"? Are you using a flip phone or is it just a cultural anomaly? 

I appreciate ur reply. I guess we will find out when the do the final embassy review.

No i do not use a flip phone. "N" is just easy to type when you have so many things to type. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
23 hours ago, TheBs said:

My fiance got denied the k1 visa last week but was not given any denial paper or documents. Fiance said they took all our docs and only returned the passport back.

My fiance said CO said I am going to have to say NO to this and that was it. Fiance asked if the CO needed more evidence or proofs? CO said no he has everything he needs.

So what do we do now? We have emailed the embassy and no replied yet. Can we get a second interview or a review?

My husband (at the time fiance) was denied the same way. He wasn't given a denial slip either. Most likely, you won't get an answer from the embassy either. We received the termination notice, but it didn't tell us anything. Your best bet is to have a few more visits and marry in your fiance's country or a 3rd country if possible.

A single three week visit is unlikely to be enough for Lagos. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mich923 said:

My husband (at the time fiance) was denied the same way. He wasn't given a denial slip either. Most likely, you won't get an answer from the embassy either. We received the termination notice, but it didn't tell us anything. Your best bet is to have a few more visits and marry in your fiance's country or a 3rd country if possible.

Ohhh I see. Thanks for sharing

How long after interview did you receive termination notice?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hypnos said:

A single three week visit is unlikely to be enough for Lagos. 

Ok,  I know every case is diff but there are people who got approved with just a single visit for days. USCIS approved it too then why denial at the Lagos embassy? I just think it is unfair

3 minutes ago, TheBs said:

USCIS approved it too then why denial at the Lagos embassy? I just think it is unfair

USCIS only verifies that the petitioner is qualified to petition the beneficiary (meaning the required items were submitted, you met within 2 years, IMBRA requirements met, etc.). They do not evaluate the relationship at all with an I-129F.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Nigeria is a high-fraud country. This is why it's far more difficult to obtain a US visa from there. 

It's not "unfair" but simply life. You can thank other Nigerian citizens who have committed visa fraud in the past on a large scale and made it very difficult for genuine cases to obtain a visa. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The magic number is about 30 days over 2 or more visits for Nigeria.   Did you meet his family and have pictures with them ?   If you just met him and friends and wandered about Lagos or Abuja for 3 weeks they will doubt you because you didn't meet the parents. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 9/13/2019 at 11:18 PM, TheBs said:

My fiance got denied the k1 visa last week but was not given any denial paper or documents. Fiance said they took all our docs and only returned the passport back.

My fiance said CO said I am going to have to say NO to this and that was it. Fiance asked if the CO needed more evidence or proofs? CO said no he has everything he needs.

So what do we do now? We have emailed the embassy and no replied yet. Can we get a second interview or a review?

They usually tell you in the office why it is being denied. Whether it is we dont think it is a true commitment or in my case he is banned for 10 years since being illegal. They kept all of our documents that was in 2014 and our case just was administrative closed because i never filed the next form. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
8 hours ago, TheBs said:

Ohhh I see. Thanks for sharing

How long after interview did you receive termination notice?

I received it 6 months after the interview. Right after the interview I've tried contacting the embassy, NVC, and USCIS and spoke to tier 2. All of them said they didn't have a reason. I think your best bet is to marry in your fiance's country. 

I did a wedding in Pakistan and hopefully when my husband gets here we will have a wedding here too

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, TheBs said:

I appreciate ur reply. I guess we will find out when the do the final embassy review.

No i do not use a flip phone. "N" is just easy to type when you have so many things to type. 

That was your final Embassy Review. Unless they told your fiance' they need more time to process your petition is being returned to USCIS.

You need to email them lagosIV@state.gov to verify exactly what is happening  with your petition. This is a K1 doesn't sit very long. Too many people sit around and wait for something to happen that will not happen. So I advise you to email the embassy and find out what's up.

Also you can't compare your case to any other. Some cases are very vanilla need no checking, and investigation and extra time. Others things are found out (not necessarily wrong or right) and further looking in is needed.Pas relationships, past petitions. It's very rare to have a Nigeria man not ever submit a petition for a student visa, visitor visa) at least that the majority have tried in the past. Has your fiance' ever filed for that even while dating you?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
1 hour ago, dwheels76 said:

That was your final Embassy Review. Unless they told your fiance' they need more time to process your petition is being returned to USCIS.

You need to email them lagosIV@state.gov to verify exactly what is happening  with your petition. This is a K1 doesn't sit very long. Too many people sit around and wait for something to happen that will not happen. So I advise you to email the embassy and find out what's up.

Also you can't compare your case to any other. Some cases are very vanilla need no checking, and investigation and extra time. Others things are found out (not necessarily wrong or right) and further looking in is needed.Pas relationships, past petitions. It's very rare to have a Nigeria man not ever submit a petition for a student visa, visitor visa) at least that the majority have tried in the past. Has your fiance' ever filed for that even while dating you?

No never. This was our first time filing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.