mangu1975

N-400-interview gone bad

26 posts in this topic

Hello,

i recently had a my interview for citizenship everything was fine pass civic,reading writing test, and then io ask me how did i got my green card ? i did adjustment of status  back in 2014. 

io ask me where is the waiver ? during interview in 2014 i was never ask to file a waiver. and then io said i would never have gotten the green card. and then io made me sign 2 time on the ipad screen. and told me to go home and wait for the decision letter in the mail. 

will they cancel my green card ?

Thank you 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It depends. How did you obtain your GC? 10 year GC?

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, mangu1975 said:

I file Form I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS, including all supporting documents and fees and yes the Green Card is 10 years under fiver year rules i applied for  Citizenship.

You filed form i485 based on what visa? What did you adjust status from? Did you ever receive a conditional green card (2 years)? If so, when did you remove conditions?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, mangu1975 said:

during interview in 2014 i was never ask to file a waiver

If there was a relevant fact that you failed to disclose in your AoS application, then it might have prevented the IO from taking the appropriate decision regarding your case (for instance, asking for a waiver) and in that scenario, yes. Your green card might be revoked and you might have incurred in material misrepresentation. Hard to tell without knowing the details of your AoS/ RoC process.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, mangu1975 said:

based on f29  category. received 10 years gc.

You talk about Adjusting Status, so clearly F29 was not your initial status. Were you already in the US when your parents petitioned for you? How did you first enter the country? What visa (or lack thereof) did you have back then, before your F29 got approved? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Since you did not enter on a status, to be able to adjust status you had to have a status so AOS was not an option in this case. the only option for you to get a green card would have been consular processing. Since you would have incurred a ban on leaving a waiver would have been required. seems like your green card was issued incorrectly, there is a possibility your green card could be revoked in this case. if i understand it correctly, they would have to present the case in front of an immigration judge to be able to do that.

Edited by Bajinga

Timeline
13 minutes ago, mangu1975 said:

i enter the country with out visa or passport. in 1996 and got caught by airport officer. and transferred me to detention center.  

It is very hard to provide you with any good advice if you only give us fragments of your story. You were transferred to a detention center and then what? Did you ever appear before an Immigration Judge? Were you issued an order of deportation? When filling out the i485, were you 100% honest in all the questions? It surprises me your i485 was even accepted if you could not provide evidence of being inspected and admitted to the country, but I am not really well versed in how much the process has changed since 2014...

Filed: IR-3 Timeline

The problem I see with stuff like this is that, the applicants and ultimately USCIS is to blame

How do you approve someone and then years down the line they utter stuff like " . . . oh yada yada should not have been approved" some of these applications take years and months

and you begin to wonder if they know what they are doing

I may just have to schedule an INFOPASS just to be  sure my immigration status is all good   :rolleyes::goofy: even though I know it is

I don't want stupid surprises

Edited by Stevo1979

Filed: IR-3 Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

I think it is too soon to appoint blame. Who knows what the attorney put in the application? Who knows what kind of documents were provided, or omitted? One checked box in the AoS form that was incorrectly filled (deliberately or not) might affect the entire outcome of the application. Could it be that the IO in charge of that case overlooked some critical information? Yes, but let's not rule out critical information being left out altogether, and only being detected many years later, with contradicting details in the N400 application.

Immigration is a long journey, so every little thing you enter on forms, everything you say to an officer will build either a consistent or inconsistent immigration track record. "Surprises" are very rare when you do your homework and abide by the rules.  

I get you but it is very  obvious there must have been some type of deliberate or indeliberate negligence and the law should not be retroactive

If  USCIS has either out of their own making because they sure are culpable in this case issued immigration benefit to an applicant they should not be withdrawing it  years later unless it was an outright case of immigration fraud

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.