Prizm123

September 2019 AOS Filers

2,106 posts in this topic

Just now, Zach2015 said:

Our local DMV told us to not even try until she gets her EAD or green card, whichever happens first.

Yes, that's what I read here in Orlando too.  Glad I went that route but also glad it won't cause issues at the bio appointment. :) 

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

2 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Could you please let us know if they asked for state ID or passport?  My husband does not have a state ID yet and we just have his passport.  So, we want to make sure this is not an issue.  Thanks!

She just had to show  appt letter. Passport and marriage license.  It was over in 10 minutes painless.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

2 hours ago, Zach2015 said:

Our local DMV told us to not even try until she gets her EAD or green card, whichever happens first.

Yeah our DMV said the same even for a state ID too.

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

4 hours ago, Zach2015 said:

Not even with state ID?

Package sent: 08/29/19

Package delivered: 09/03/19

I-765 received :09/03/19

I-131 received: 09/03/19

I-485 received: 09/10/19

Text notification: 09/11/19

Check cashed: 09/12/19

NOA1 date for all 3 forms: 09/10/19

Biometrics: 10/03/19

Ready for interview schedule: 10/30/19

Interview was scheduled: 09/15/2020

Interview date: 10/15/2020

GC received: 10/22/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Q2018 said:

Not even with state ID?

I don't think the DMV looks at a State ID as being less important than a DL.  It's identification, a photo ID that goes far in this country especially if you can make it a Real ID.

We are living with a passport only for now.  We've already added her to three utility bills, she's an authorized user on two credit card accounts and my local bank will add her on the checking account with just her passport (we haven't done this yet, we will soon).  So that should go a long way at a GC interview.

21 minutes ago, Q2018 said:

Not even with state ID?

Florida told me if she applied for a state ID when she first arrived it would expire when her 90 days were up and there is no way to renew it from there. Even when she gets her EAD (if its before AOS) that will also expire within a specific period of time. The only way she can get and ID for a longer term is when her green card is approved. Not sure how other states do it.

1 minute ago, Zach2015 said:

Florida told me if she applied for a state ID when she first arrived it would expire when her 90 days were up and there is no way to renew it from there. Even when she gets her EAD (if its before AOS) that will also expire within a specific period of time. The only way she can get and ID for a longer term is when her green card is approved. Not sure how other states do it.

Thanks for the info! 

I applied for state ID three weeks ago and they issued me a temporary one expiring January next year (my I-94 expires Nov 1)

Was hoping to apply for DL with the state ID. Hopefully it will work in Minnesota.

Package sent: 08/29/19

Package delivered: 09/03/19

I-765 received :09/03/19

I-131 received: 09/03/19

I-485 received: 09/10/19

Text notification: 09/11/19

Check cashed: 09/12/19

NOA1 date for all 3 forms: 09/10/19

Biometrics: 10/03/19

Ready for interview schedule: 10/30/19

Interview was scheduled: 09/15/2020

Interview date: 10/15/2020

GC received: 10/22/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

Massachusetts appears to be the same as Florida.  Of course states can vary re: policy for this situation but it seems to me most are like ours.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

Same in Texas

Even with a SSN card in her maiden  name we have run into hassle  after hassle. I can add her to some things but only in her maiden name the name on the SSN card. I was only able to add her to my insurance at work. A few utility Bill's and being a beneficiary on my life insurance polices using her married  name. The bank would not even use the married name they would  only use the name on the SSN card. Big hassles big time. So once her EAD comes in I can change all starting with her SSN. I could not even add her to my military benefits using her married  name, I had to add her under her maiden name. This is Texas by the way.

Citizenship Complete!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
Just now, Sarge2155 said:

Even with a SSN card in her maiden  name we have run into hassle  after hassle. I can add her to some things but only in her maiden name the name on the SSN card. I was only able to add her to my insurance at work. A few utility Bill's and being a beneficiary on my life insurance polices using her married  name. The bank would not even use the married name they would  only use the name on the SSN card. Big hassles big time. So once her EAD comes in I can change all starting with her SSN. I could not even add her to my military benefits using her married  name, I had to add her under her maiden name. This is Texas by the way.

Why is it issue that it is in her maiden name? Texas military as well and that's what we did. I don't think that uscis cares that it's her maiden name as I'm sure we are not the first or last one that have to do it that way. That's what you have your marriage certificate anyway. Look at it this way, what if your spouse likes her name and wants to keep it? Would that be an issue? I don't think so. I'm gonna worried about changing my name once I have my GC in hand. 

Just a tidbit for those of you married to a Filipino do not forget to process  your Report of Marriage ROM within a year or you will get penalized. The ROM is not compulsory but if you don't  do it ur spouse will NEVER be able to get her Filipino passport in her married name.

Citizenship Complete!

2 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Just a tidbit for those of you married to a Filipino do not forget to process  your Report of Marriage ROM within a year or you will get penalized. The ROM is not compulsory but if you don't  do it ur spouse will NEVER be able to get her Filipino passport in her married name.

You do not even want to know the hassle my wife got at her biometrics because she's changing her name according to Filipino customs and not the usual American traditional way.

10 minutes ago, Eva_AJ said:

Why is it issue that it is in her maiden name? Texas military as well and that's what we did. I don't think that uscis cares that it's her maiden name as I'm sure we are not the first or last one that have to do it that way. That's what you have your marriage certificate anyway. Look at it this way, what if your spouse likes her name and wants to keep it? Would that be an issue? I don't think so. I'm gonna worried about changing my name once I have my GC in hand. 

It's  an issue to her because she wanted IDs with her married name, so if it's an issue to her it's  an issue to me. I'm not speaking for you or others just sharing  OUR situation. I'm  aware that's it's better to have the IDs in her maiden name than not at all just sharing OUR viewpoint!!!!

Edited by Sarge2155

Citizenship Complete!

1 minute ago, Zach2015 said:

You do not even want to know the hassle my wife got at her biometrics because she's changing her name according to Filipino customs and not the usual American traditional way.

We had no problems in that aspect my wife did that without issue.

Citizenship Complete!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.