Luon7951

Missed K1 Interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I arrived earlier last week to spend some time with my fiancée before our interview. During our trip her father called and let her know that he does not want her to come to the US anymore due to various concerns. 

We were supposed to have our interview at the consulate today, but we have been (and still are) in her hometown trying to convince her father to let her go. We would much rather have her leave on good terms. 

The question I have is what happens now that we missed the interview date? Is it possible to reschedule or do we have to start all over? I believe our NOA2 exportation date was the end of September, but I can check again once we get back to our hotel.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

What country are you in? 

I don’t know the answer to this, I’ve heard before that they will re-schedule a K-1 interview ONCE, but I would have recommended that you call or email the embassy in advance to give them a heads up that she wouldn’t appear at the interview rather than just skipping it. Did you call them beforehand? 

Also, if she does get a new interview, I think there’s a strong chance she will be asked why she missed the original interview, and it might be held against her. The consular officer might think “If she were really committed to marrying this American she would have shown up for the interview whether her father wanted her to or not.” 

The officer might also ask her why her father objects to her marrying the American, and if her answer is something like “My father is against it because I’m only 19 and the American guy is 30 years older than I am and I hardly know him” well that’s not great 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

What country are you in? 

I don’t know the answer to this, I’ve heard before that they will re-schedule a K-1 interview ONCE, but I would have recommended that you call or email the embassy in advance to give them a heads up that she wouldn’t appear at the interview rather than just skipping it. Did you call them beforehand? 

Also, if she does get a new interview, I think there’s a strong chance she will be asked why she missed the original interview, and it might be held against her. The consular officer might think “If she were really committed to marrying this American she would have shown up for the interview whether her father wanted her to or not.” 

The officer might also ask her why her father objects to her marrying the American, and if her answer is something like “My father is against it because I’m only 19 and the American guy is 30 years older than I am and I hardly know him” well that’s not great 

Thank you for your response and I agree with your opinion that it is now harder to pass. 

I am in vietnam. We did not call or email the embassy. 

We are only 3 years a part and her father objects because he wants her to stay and support his small restaurant (quan) and wants her to take care of him. He is divorced and his only other children is an older daughter that is married and local, but she doesn’t support him as much as my fiancée. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know it's kinda water under the bridge, but you should have attended the interview and if you had passed you have 6 months from the date of the medical to actually decide if you really want to use the visa. If you don't use the visa and it expires, no harm done, and it won't be really held against you. If you can get a new interview, I would go that route as you will have the visa in hand and almost 6 months to decide if moving to the US is the right choice.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

I think you should call the embassy ASAP and explain and ask for a new interview date, if that's what you want. But you don't mention in your post whether your fiancee is now willing to interview or not.

I think the longer we stay here she is becoming less willing because her father is guilt tripping her into staying. I speak fluent Vietnamese so I understand what he is saying to her.  

21 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I know it's kinda water under the bridge, but you should have attended the interview and if you had passed you have 6 months from the date of the medical to actually decide if you really want to use the visa. If you don't use the visa and it expires, no harm done, and it won't be really held against you. If you can get a new interview, I would go that route as you will have the visa in hand and almost 6 months to decide if moving to the US is the right choice.

Yeah... we were going to do that but a flight delay threw that out the window. I should have planned better, but maybe we should’ve just gone ahead with our original vacation plan and ending it with the interview instead of dropping the vacation and heading back to her hometown. 

Edit: The flight delay was emailed to me and there was no way we would have made it in time so we didn’t get on that flight. That’s why we’re still here. 

Edited by Luon7951

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Luon7951 said:

I think the longer we stay here she is becoming less willing because her father is guilt tripping her into staying. I speak fluent Vietnamese so I understand what he is saying to her.  

Yeah... we were going to do that but a flight delay threw that out the window. I should have planned better, but maybe we should’ve just gone ahead with our original vacation plan and ending it with the interview instead of dropping the vacation and heading back to her hometown. 

Edit: The flight delay was emailed to me and there was no way we would have made it in time so we didn’t get on that flight. That’s why we’re still here. 

Flight delay is an excellent attachment to the apology and request for a new interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Luon7951 said:

When was the flight originally supposed to take off land and when did it take off and land ?  It may be that this a better explanation than "my fiancee was talked out of showing up by her father"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does the consulate schedule the interview?  If not, why are we suggesting to email the consulate asking for a new interview?  When you are ready schedule the new interview.   Only thing you need to be sure of is that the petition is still on station 

YMMV

Timeline
54 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

When was the flight originally supposed to take off land and when did it take off and land ?  It may be that this a better explanation than "my fiancee was talked out of showing up by her father"

Very goos point. I’ll be sure to print out the attachment if we proceed. 

24 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Does the consulate schedule the interview?  If not, why are we suggesting to email the consulate asking for a new interview?  When you are ready schedule the new interview.   Only thing you need to be sure of is that the petition is still on station 

We scheduled the original interview. I did email the consulate already regarding expiration, but I guess I should email back asking if the petition is in the station?

33 minutes ago, Luon7951 said:

We scheduled the original interview. I did email the consulate already regarding expiration, but I guess I should email back asking if the petition is in the station?

If this is today, the petition is still there. Just email them with the subject: "missed interview, flight delay, request new interview date" something like that. Attached proof of the flight delay. Keep it simple. No need to mention about the father and changing their mind and stuff. 

Timeline

16 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

If this is today, the petition is still there. Just email them with the subject: "missed interview, flight delay, request new interview date" something like that. Attached proof of the flight delay. Keep it simple. No need to mention about the father and changing their mind and stuff. 

I went ahead and did this. Thank you. 

Out of curiosity how long do they keep it at the station? After the petition leaves the station then I assume it goes back to USCIS to die?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Luon7951 said:

I went ahead and did this. Thank you. 

Out of curiosity how long do they keep it at the station? After the petition leaves the station then I assume it goes back to USCIS to die?

Theoretically up to one year,  they can extend in 4 month increments 

YMMV

Timeline

Missing/skipping an interview is not unusual. Many things happen to couples planning things thousands of miles (and cultures) apart. Try to schedule interview according to this:

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/vn/vn-iv-kvisa.asp

This should help. Stay positive!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Flight delay is an excellent attachment to the apology and request for a new interview.

I agree. Use this instead of having her say that her father is trying to stop her. I mean, if she really sticks to her first plan. 

All the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.