Luu

Sending in I-129F packet -- is this okay?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

IR/CR-1 is cheaper but not necessarily faster (maybe a couple months longer process), a big perk with this visa is your husband would receive his green card upon entry into the USA (with the K-1 this requires another process and more $$$ and upwards of a year before the green card arrives)

We think it's better to do the K-1 visa and have my family there. 

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just letter of intent to marry is fine.  Thats ALL they ask for, and photos.  We just got NOA2, so we're good.  Letter of Intent (I even went so far as to have it Notarized because I'm PSYCHO like that sometime), and it was fine.  That and our engagement photo.

It depends on what you mean by cheaper.  It depends on the circumstances.  Lots of people will tell you CR-1 is cheaper overall.  Thats not always true.  Add up total overall expected expenses until foot is actually at the door.  Factor in additional travel expenses with your calculation.  In our case it would result in +1 trip back, plus because the entire marriage process in the Philippines is easily 3-4 weeks.  Round trip ticket ALONE is $1200 if I get a decent deal, plus money spent on the ground.  It cant go there without spending AT LEAST $2000, and more likely $3000.  Whats the visa cost difference between K-1 and CR-1?  About a grand?  Thank you very much.  Wasting money unnecessarily when planning to start a family = REALLY BAD IDEA. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Electrichead64 said:

Just letter of intent to marry is fine.  Thats ALL they ask for, and photos.  We just got NOA2, so we're good.  Letter of Intent (I even went so far as to have it Notarized because I'm PSYCHO like that sometime), and it was fine.  That and our engagement photo.

It depends on what you mean by cheaper.  It depends on the circumstances.  Lots of people will tell you CR-1 is cheaper overall.  Thats not always true.  Add up total overall expected expenses until foot is actually at the door.  Factor in additional travel expenses with your calculation.  In our case it would result in +1 trip back, plus because the entire marriage process in the Philippines is easily 3-4 weeks.  Round trip ticket ALONE is $1200 if I get a decent deal, plus money spent on the ground.  It cant go there without spending AT LEAST $2000, and more likely $3000.  Whats the visa cost difference between K-1 and CR-1?  About a grand?  Thank you very much.  Wasting money unnecessarily when planning to start a family = REALLY BAD IDEA. 

It isn't just visa costs to consider,  when comparing you want to compare to the moment of receiving the 1st green card and the time taken to get "there".     IR/CR-1 receive their green card upon arrival in the USA, K-1 have to complete another process $$$ and probably another year of waiting for the conditional green card.

And in this situation, they are together .. no traveling

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Electrichead64 said:

Yeah, we are living together in Turkey but I'm working off savings, so the longer we're waiting here the worse it is for me. When we get back to the USA I can at least work.

(A wedding here would also cost a lot of money too because everyone would get offended if they're not invited and neither me nor my fiance like Turkish style weddings. It's more about flashing cash - like how much you spent rather than creating an enjoyable experience. People go to show their face or represent their family but not to enjoy the celebration. At least that's the feedback I've heard so far). 

Even in America, we just want something small. We're not into the pomp. It's better to save our money or donate it to a worthwhile cause that helps others. 

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yep, its about $1100 for an AOS just fees alone.  I dont know how much more clear I can make this.  My next trip to the Philippines, if I were to marry her would be $1200 in airfare alone.  + 2000 spent on the ground minimum if we do a quick and easy civil wedding even.  By my math I'm +$2000 ahead of the game, and I get her to the US faster.  My next trip to the Philippines brings her home.  The point is, USE YOUR HEAD.  Don't just listen to people.  Figure it out what is best for you.  If the CR-1 was ipso facto always better than the K-1, the K-1 wouldnt exist.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

It isn't just visa costs to consider,  when comparing you want to compare to the moment of receiving the 1st green card and the time taken to get "there".     IR/CR-1 receive their green card upon arrival in the USA, K-1 have to complete another process $$$ and probably another year of waiting for the conditional green card.

And in this situation, they are together .. no traveling

With the K-1 we'd still be together but in the USA so I could work. I understand the additional costs and processes.

The K-1 costs are spread out over time and the time getting to the USA is shorter.

The CR-1 the cost is more all upfront, more waiting overseas, but the paperwork process pretty much ends when you get to the USA.

So the CR-1 seems more compact which is nice but I really don't think it's for us. 

If I was old and had no family I'd consider it. My family being with me is more important. 

event.png

event.png

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Electrichead64 said:

Yep, its about $1100 for an AOS just fees alone.  I dont know how much more clear I can make this.  My next trip to the Philippines, if I were to marry her would be $1200 in airfare alone.  + 2000 spent on the ground minimum if we do a quick and easy civil wedding even.  By my math I'm +$2000 ahead of the game, and I get her to the US faster.  My next trip to the Philippines brings her home.  The point is, USE YOUR HEAD.  Don't just listen to people.  Figure it out what is best for you.  If the CR-1 was ipso facto always better than the K-1, the K-1 wouldnt exist.

I'm not sure what you were trying to clarify because your original post was quite clear. 

The K-1 is the better choice for us too. 

Good luck with your petition. :) 

event.png

event.png

Not sure if this has already been covered in earlier replies, but when you do get to the needing-a-joint-sponsor stage (at the interview for a K1), the house your mum lives in would not be considered an acceptable asset. Basically, it needs to be assets that could quickly and easily be sold if needed to support your fiancé whilst he can’t work - the house you live in, the primary car you drive, etc, are not acceptable for this.

As such, it doesn’t sound like your mother would be a suitable joint sponsor, so you’d need to look for an alternative one, or return to the US and find a job that earns enough so you don’t need a sponsor.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, SmilingDuck said:

With the K-1 we'd still be together but in the USA so I could work. I understand the additional costs and processes.

The K-1 costs are spread out over time and the time getting to the USA is shorter.

The CR-1 the cost is more all upfront, more waiting overseas, but the paperwork process pretty much ends when you get to the USA.

So the CR-1 seems more compact which is nice but I really don't think it's for us. 

If I was old and had no family I'd consider it. My family being with me is more important. 

Have you looked at the differences between a K-1 and a CR-1 closely?   You can always marry outside the US, then have another ceremony later with your family...

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Electrichead64 said:

We aren't talking about you, this is about the OP and they are together in Turkey .. so airfare is a moot point.   And with that said .. it is not on her "to do" list.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Not sure if this has already been covered in earlier replies, but when you do get to the needing-a-joint-sponsor stage (at the interview for a K1), the house your mum lives in would not be considered an acceptable asset. Basically, it needs to be assets that could quickly and easily be sold if needed to support your fiancé whilst he can’t work - the house you live in, the primary car you drive, etc, are not acceptable for this.

As such, it doesn’t sound like your mother would be a suitable joint sponsor, so you’d need to look for an alternative one, or return to the US and find a job that earns enough so you don’t need a sponsor.

Yeah. She is the only person we have as our joint sponsor. 

Are you sure it absolutely sure it can't count? 

Not even if I have like 15,000 in savings? 

event.png

event.png

6 hours ago, SmilingDuck said:

We think it's better to do the K-1 visa and have my family there. 

Why not just get married at the Turkish equivalent of a courthouse without any family there, and then apply for a spousal visa and then do your 'proper' wedding in the US with all your friends and family once the visa is acquired? Family may get offended, but they would most likely be supportive of your decision and understand the reasons why.

We did something similar, got married in a courthouse in the US with just our daughter as a witness, and then a year later did a 'proper' wedding celebration in the UK with all our friends and families. Most people attending the wedding in the UK didn't even know we were already legally married as we just kept that info to our family and close friends, as in our eyes the UK wedding celebration with our friends and families was when we were properly married, the courthouse ceremony was to satisfy visa requirements. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, missileman said:

Have you looked at the differences between a K-1 and a CR-1 closely?   You can always marry outside the US, then have another ceremony later with your family...

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

I'll look into it in more detail but I doubt I'll go down that road. I just found out about that visa  through this thread.

For me, the ceremony doesn't matter if it's not the legal one.

Then it'd be just a show I'm putting on for my family.

I know a lot of people go down that road but it's just not for me.

If I got married in Turkey, we would have to do it in an office.

I really don't want that to be my marriage memory. 

I feel like I would probably cry if that was my marriage memory.  

I already don't like Turkey. My Turkish isn't great.

I wouldn't understand anything that was happening, so it would mean nothing to me.

It was that way with my engagement ceremony. I didn't understand what anyone was saying. They cut the engagement ribbon and I went in the other room to hang laundry while everyone talked to each other. 

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SmilingDuck said:

I'll look into it in more detail but I doubt I'll go down that road. I just found out about that visa  through this thread.

For me, the ceremony doesn't matter if it's not the legal one.

Then it'd be just a show I'm putting on for my family.

I know a lot of people go down that road but it's just not for me.

If I got married in Turkey, we would have to do it in an office.

I really don't want that to be my marriage memory. 

I feel like I would probably cry if that was my marriage memory.  

I already don't like Turkey. My Turkish isn't great.

I wouldn't understand anything that was happening, so it would mean nothing to me.

It was that way with my engagement ceremony. I didn't understand what anyone was saying. They cut the engagement ribbon and I went in the other room to hang laundry while everyone talked to each other. 

Your decision.....Best of luck.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, FlashLG said:

Why not just get married at the Turkish equivalent of a courthouse without any family there, and then apply for a spousal visa and then do your 'proper' wedding in the US with all your friends and family once the visa is acquired? Family may get offended, but they would most likely be supportive of your decision and understand the reasons why.

We did something similar, got married in a courthouse in the US with just our daughter as a witness, and then a year later did a 'proper' wedding celebration in the UK with all our friends and families. Most people attending the wedding in the UK didn't even know we were already legally married as we just kept that info to our family and close friends, as in our eyes the UK wedding celebration with our friends and families was when we were properly married, the courthouse ceremony was to satisfy visa requirements. 

But you both understood the ceremony... and your daughter was at least there. 

You found it important for your daughter to be there. I find it important for my mother and my brother to be there. If just the 2 of them were there with us that would be okay with me but I have none of that here in Turkey. None of my friends or family can come here. Not a familiar language -- none of my fiance's immediate family speak English at all & the government official here definitely wouldn't. Not a familiar process - no idea about any of it. 

It's not for me.

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.