Jmeleecur

K3 while waiting on I-130 - curious

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Just looking around for more insight on how the K3 has been affecting others lately. 

I've seen many people discussing in FB groups, how they've applied for the K3 after submitting the I-130 application, then receiving a denied K3 (very) shortly after, and an almost immediate approval of their I-130 despite their I-130 PD. It seems like a lot of Nebraska service center applications. I was curious if other people here have recently done this, and what their experience had been? I don't know if everyone who's tried this (recently) has included it in their timelines here, and just wanted to put out some feelers.

I'm not sure it's something we would pursue, but I was trying to read up on it as much as possible. I do realize in 2018 there were only 6 approved, so the probability of getting a K3 approved is very slim, but it seems to move the existing I-130 much faster.

I do have one question, maybe someone can answer. In the directions for the I-129F it states:

NOTE: Under U.S. immigration law, a foreign national who marries a U.S. citizen outside the United States and seeks a K-3 visa must apply for the K-3 visa in the country where the marriage took place.

My husband (beneficiary, from Algeria) and I (Petitioner, USC), legally married in Tunisia. Maybe I'm over analyzing that statement, I just don't get it. Our marriage took place in Tunisia, so how would that apply to our situation?

You send in the form to the US lockbox but would be interviewed in Tunisia.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

You send in the form to the US lockbox but would be interviewed in Tunisia.

Okay, I see. So If the K3 (by some slim chance) was approved, that's where the interview would be. Curious why that's the case for the I-129F, but for the I-130 he's able to interview in his home country. interesting

Just the terms of the visa policy.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

16 minutes ago, Jmeleecur said:

Just looking around for more insight on how the K3 has been affecting others lately. 

I've seen many people discussing in FB groups, how they've applied for the K3 after submitting the I-130 application, then receiving a denied K3 (very) shortly after, and an almost immediate approval of their I-130 despite their I-130 PD. It seems like a lot of Nebraska service center applications. I was curious if other people here have recently done this, and what their experience had been? I don't know if everyone who's tried this (recently) has included it in their timelines here, and just wanted to put out some feelers.

I'm not sure it's something we would pursue, but I was trying to read up on it as much as possible. I do realize in 2018 there were only 6 approved, so the probability of getting a K3 approved is very slim, but it seems to move the existing I-130 much faster.

I do have one question, maybe someone can answer. In the directions for the I-129F it states:

My husband (beneficiary, from Algeria) and I (Petitioner, USC), legally married in Tunisia. Maybe I'm over analyzing that statement, I just don't get it. Our marriage took place in Tunisia, so how would that apply to our situation?

So according to your timeline you just your package off last month. So whatever happens you have almost a year to go before he can come here. 

Timeline

USCIS website states the vast majority of I-130's are approved before or at the same time as an I-129F

But also wondering-

If (again, very slim 'if') an I-129f for a K3 was approved before your existing I-130, would there be consequences for not following through at the NVC stage of the K3- and instead just waiting for the I-130 to be approved?

I feel like I read a similar discussion about this before, but I'm not quite sure how to search it.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

So according to your timeline you just your package off last month. So whatever happens you have almost a year to go before he can come here. 

I understand that. We've planned on a year wait from the time we submitted the application.  I'm just looking for information about this process, and to understand other peoples experiences.

6 K3's approved last fiscal year.  3 this fiscal year, all from central america.  There may be some anecdotal claims that filing a K3 speeds up a CR-1.  You are certainly free to try.  You can slow things down at the NVC in either case.  It the the K3 is approved coming in would be faster and more expensive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 8/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jmeleecur said:

I understand that. We've planned on a year wait from the time we submitted the application.  I'm just looking for information about this process, and to understand other peoples experiences.

Scroll through the link above (and the predecesor thread - “part 4”). You will see tons of us who recently caught on that filing the 129f speeds up processing of 130 by MONTHS. Without it, people at Nebraska are waiting 11.5–12 months. 

There is one person in the threads who filed the 129f 2 months ago and hasn’t heard back. Other than her/him, everybody else (I’d say at least 10 people, probably more) got their 130 approved within 3-6 weeks of filing 129f. Nobody has gotten a K3. But everybody I have seen who has tried it has said that while they would prefer an IR1/CR1, if they got a K3, they would be fine with it as long as it meant being with their spouse faster. 

I myself filed the 129f as soon as I saw others experiences. Less than 1 month later my i130 was approved “ahead of schedule”. 

I am making it a personal goal to respond to everybody who asks this question bc I am so sad about the misinformation I got when I started the process. If I had filed the 129f back at the first opportunity, my husband would probably be here already!

Timeline
10 hours ago, LC2010 said:

Scroll through the link above (and the predecesor thread - “part 4”). You will see tons of us who recently caught on that filing the 129f speeds up processing of 130 by MONTHS. Without it, people at Nebraska are waiting 11.5–12 months. 

There is one person in the threads who filed the 129f 2 months ago and hasn’t heard back. Other than her/him, everybody else (I’d say at least 10 people, probably more) got their 130 approved within 3-6 weeks of filing 129f. Nobody has gotten a K3. But everybody I have seen who has tried it has said that while they would prefer an IR1/CR1, if they got a K3, they would be fine with it as long as it meant being with their spouse faster. 

I myself filed the 129f as soon as I saw others experiences. Less than 1 month later my i130 was approved “ahead of schedule”. 

I am making it a personal goal to respond to everybody who asks this question bc I am so sad about the misinformation I got when I started the process. If I had filed the 129f back at the first opportunity, my husband would probably be here already!

Thank you, for that information, very thorough! I'll check out the thread. And congratulations!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I mailed I-130 on April 6th 2019 and I-129F April 29th 2019 ( They received it on May 3rd 2019 ) 

about 3 months later On August 8th they denied my I-129F and Approved my I-130 the next day on August 9th 2019

Timeline
29 minutes ago, CH Saab said:

I mailed I-130 on April 6th 2019 and I-129F April 29th 2019 ( They received it on May 3rd 2019 ) 

about 3 months later On August 8th they denied my I-129F and Approved my I-130 the next day on August 9th 2019

Thank you for the info, that's awesome! Just curious, did you have an IOE receipt # also? It seems like they've become increasingly common since July, but there were some from earlier months I believe, was yours?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jmeleecur said:

Thank you for the info, that's awesome! Just curious, did you have an IOE receipt # also? It seems like they've become increasingly common since July, but there were some from earlier months I believe, was yours?

I am newbie  Have no clue what IOE receipt # is 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.