Mike&Anna

AOS interview on Friday -- evidence help!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Our interview is coming up and yesterday I finally completed our binder to bring the day of. 

I know it's too late at this point, and I know there's really anything to be done regardless because this is all we have, but do you think our evidence will be enough?
We have:
- Marriage certificate

- Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage that my MIL filled out

- Bank statement of shared account

- Health Insurance and Life insurance statements that state me as a beneficiary

- Pictures of our wedding

- Pictures of everyday life with friends and family

- Texts

- Facebook pages where it says we're married and every post that included us both, or that his family tagged me in/my family tagged him in

- Instagram pages

- Congrats cards from our wedding

My husband and I live with my in-laws so we don't have bills or rent together, so this is all we could gather. Will it be a problem? Anxiety is starting to creep in!

NOA1 - 4/11/2018 (New site 04/16/2018) 

NOA2 - 10/10/18
NVC Receive - 10/29/2018 

NVC Case Number - 11/2/2018

Case left NVC - 11/13/2018
Embassy received - 11/19/2018

Interview - 12/14/2018

VOH - 12/21/2018

Wedding - 8/01/2019

AOS sent - 2/25/2019

NOA1 - 3/15/2019

Biometrics - 4/11/2019

Interview was scheduled - 7/3/2019

Interview date - 8/9/2019 --- Approved!

Timeline
Just now, Allaboutwaiting said:

Joint tax return? Shared credit cards? Shared membership?

We don't have any of that. We decided to have separate credit cards and I have only been here 7 months or so, so no joint tax return. I don't have my EAD yet. 

NOA2 - 10/10/18
NVC Receive - 10/29/2018 

Interview - 12/14/2018

VOH - 12/21/2018

Wedding - 8/01/2019

AOS sent - 2/25/2019

NOA1 - 3/15/2019

Biometrics - 4/11/2019

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

They asked for and copied ours to make sure they were joint

We have debit cards but not credit cards. And no drivers licence or car insurance as I don't have my permit. MA only allows you to get your permit once you have a permanent resident status.

38 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Then your evidence for the interview is enough. 😊

Thank! I hope you are right!

NOA2 - 10/10/18
NVC Receive - 10/29/2018 

Interview - 12/14/2018

VOH - 12/21/2018

Wedding - 8/01/2019

AOS sent - 2/25/2019

NOA1 - 3/15/2019

Biometrics - 4/11/2019

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

What about a state ID card with address?

Possibly overlooked:

Phone plan

Gym membership records 

School records if you took any classes showing the address

Edited by bakphx1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We have ours tomorrow, also in Boston 😀, so if I remember I can try and let you know what general documents they asked for if there was anything unexpected that I didn't realize the notice asked for and not specific to us.

Additional Possible Evidence:

- Receipts, pictures, etc. from any vacations/day-trips taken

- If you have a retirement account (like 401k for example), you may be able to designate your spouse as a beneficiary (although it might be a bit late at this point, and might look a little weird doing it 2 days before 🤷‍♂️)

- If your spouse had a Social Security Card mailed to them, then the stub it was attached to should have their mailing address...that might be useful for proof that you are living together at the same address.

A little late at this point, but there is sort of a process for getting Driving License/Permit with Permanent Residence. Aside from the EAD, the RMV can look you up in the SAVE database (same database as for SSN). Although as with most things with the RMV, it takes a few weeks, so too late now.

In general I'd also recommend (if you didn't already do so), to bring extra copies of all the applications you submitted, just in case you they lost something. I think I read on this forum every now and then that the office loses track of things like the medical, or the marriage certificate or your birth certificate, so having copies of those types of things would be useful.

Also I'm not sure how useful an 'affidavit of bona fide marriage' will be, they'll probably just care about the marriage certificate, under the assumption the town/state did their due diligence with marriage procedures for the state, and issued the marriage certificate properly. But I guess it can't hurt.

Edited by mc962

Timeline
17 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

What about a state ID card with address?

Possibly overlooked:

Phone plan

Gym membership records 

School records if you took any classes showing the address

Thanks. I don't have a state ID as I have nothing to prove I'm a permanent resident yet! Our phone plan is under my MIL's name, but I'll try to see if our names come up! If so, I'll add it to our file tonight! Woo!
We don't have the rest of that list!

NOA2 - 10/10/18
NVC Receive - 10/29/2018 

Interview - 12/14/2018

VOH - 12/21/2018

Wedding - 8/01/2019

AOS sent - 2/25/2019

NOA1 - 3/15/2019

Biometrics - 4/11/2019

Timeline
16 hours ago, mc962 said:

We have ours tomorrow, also in Boston 😀, so if I remember I can try and let you know what general documents they asked for if there was anything unexpected that I didn't realize the notice asked for and not specific to us.

Additional Possible Evidence:

- Receipts, pictures, etc. from any vacations/day-trips taken

- If you have a retirement account (like 401k for example), you may be able to designate your spouse as a beneficiary (although it might be a bit late at this point, and might look a little weird doing it 2 days before 🤷‍♂️)

- If your spouse had a Social Security Card mailed to them, then the stub it was attached to should have their mailing address...that might be useful for proof that you are living together at the same address.

A little late at this point, but there is sort of a process for getting Driving License/Permit with Permanent Residence. Aside from the EAD, the RMV can look you up in the SAVE database (same database as for SSN). Although as with most things with the RMV, it takes a few weeks, so too late now.

In general I'd also recommend (if you didn't already do so), to bring extra copies of all the applications you submitted, just in case you they lost something. I think I read on this forum every now and then that the office loses track of things like the medical, or the marriage certificate or your birth certificate, so having copies of those types of things would be useful.

Also I'm not sure how useful an 'affidavit of bona fide marriage' will be, they'll probably just care about the marriage certificate, under the assumption the town/state did their due diligence with marriage procedures for the state, and issued the marriage certificate properly. But I guess it can't hurt.

Oh wow, good luck! Can't wait to hear how it's gone! :)

We have some receipts but they don't have my name, just the number of people staying over (2). We have pictures to go with those receipts tho.
We have some mailing address proof too, I forgot to add it! So that should be good!

When I went to the RMV they said to wait until I have my green card! Ugh. 

Thanks for your help!

NOA2 - 10/10/18
NVC Receive - 10/29/2018 

Interview - 12/14/2018

VOH - 12/21/2018

Wedding - 8/01/2019

AOS sent - 2/25/2019

NOA1 - 3/15/2019

Biometrics - 4/11/2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I both have a Healthcare Power of Attorney for each other, showing that in the event we cannot make medical decisions for ourselves (coma, etc) that the other spouse will make these decisions instead. These are pretty simple legal documents (there are templates online) that can be drafted quickly, and then signed and notarized. If you are both comfortable with doing this, I believe it would bolster what you already have. 

I know you don't have much time so if that is simply not doable before your interview tomorrow, don't stress about it. Bring what you can, and be ready to explain why you do not have certain things if they ask. It all seems really daunting but real relationships vary quite a lot from couple to couple and even local laws (such as the DMV) greatly effect what evidence you can reasonably get. 

One last thing, you mention "bank statement of shared account" - I would make sure to bring all the statements on that account from the time you were added to it/it was opened in both your names. 

Good luck and try not to relax :) 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike&Anna said:

Oh wow, good luck! Can't wait to hear how it's gone! :)

It went well 🎉.He didn't really ask for much in the way of evidence after the questions were finished...I suspect he'd already made up his mind about what to decide towards the end of the questioning period. He did ask if there were any pictures that we had to show him, and he flipped through them quickly, but didn't even collect them...mostly just instructing us how to save good  evidence for the Removal of Conditions in 2 years so we could avoid another interview.

We were probably in and out of the interview in like 15 minutes 😌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hi guys.  After reading your questions & the various answers, I have concerns about completing the I-485 form.  How much evidence & what type of documents should I submit with it?  We just got married & will be sending in all 3 at the same time in a couple of weeks.  Thank you for your help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, PandT said:

Hi guys.  After reading your questions & the various answers, I have concerns about completing the I-485 form.  How much evidence & what type of documents should I submit with it?  We just got married & will be sending in all 3 at the same time in a couple of weeks.  Thank you for your help.

Only the requirements, which are well-documented here on VJ.  Unlike the K-1 process, the AOS packet is 99% satisfying of formalities. Pay close attention to the required supporting documents for the i864 and birth/marriage certificates. Save your proof-of-relationship documentation for the GC interview, which will be after some months, as described in this thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.