Jump to content
Temi & Obim

Financial aid and grad school

36 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have some questions about grad school, tried to Google for answers but got more confusing. We have sent my AOS, AP EAD in and biometric appointment is next week.

We understand it will take months before we get anything. So we are considering me going back to school for another masters degree đŸ€ŻđŸ˜ŹI have been made to understand that my international degree doesn't count in the US because my wife did her undergrad in Nigeria too and she had to do it all over again when she got here and also I'm getting really bored staying idle 

 

1. Do I need to have my green card before I can go back to school or my SS is enough?

2. Currently using WES to convert my degrees from Nigeria, do I still need to take Tofel and Gmat?

3. Do I qualify to get financial aid or I don't because of the I-864 and my wife current income which is over 100k and I'm the only dependent.

 

Thank you 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you apply for a master’s program in the US, check the list of the necessary documents. Usually they require the transcripts of your undergrad studies abroad, Toefl and gmat or gre and letters of recommendations. Some schools require an essay, too (letter of interest). As to financial aid, it’s a separate matter. You cannot apply for any government aid due to your wife’s I-864 but it doesn’t preclude you from seeking private grants/loans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your existing degree “counts”...but how you intend to use it is what matters. If it’s for something related to a licensed profession, the licensing agency may or may not accept it, or it may require certification/validation. If it’s just for employers, how the employer treats it is up to them.

 

1) No green card or anything else needed.

2) Depends on the benefit being sought what they will require. There is no general yes/no answer here.

3) You won’t qualify for public grants or loans, but private aid is fine. Your eligibility depends on the septic aid being sought - some are income based, some are accomplishment based, etc.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The easiest way to go is searching for the program first and then checking on the specific requirements. If there's further inquiries, you can contact them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, portorusa said:

When you apply for a master’s program in the US, check the list of the necessary documents. Usually they require the transcripts of your undergrad studies abroad, Toefl and gmat or gre and letters of recommendations. Some schools require an essay, too (letter of interest). As to financial aid, it’s a separate matter. You cannot apply for any government aid due to your wife’s I-864 but it doesn’t preclude you from seeking private grants/loans.

Thank you, I'll do that because one the school that I called told me I I convert my degree first.

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Your existing degree “counts”...but how you intend to use it is what matters. If it’s for something related to a licensed profession, the licensing agency may or may not accept it, or it may require certification/validation. If it’s just for employers, how the employer treats it is up to them.

 

1) No green card or anything else needed.

2) Depends on the benefit being sought what they will require. There is no general yes/no answer here.

3) You won’t qualify for public grants or loans, but private aid is fine. Your eligibility depends on the septic aid being sought - some are income based, some are accomplishment based, etc.

Thank you but I'm curious when do I get to qualify like in how many years?

40 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The easiest way to go is searching for the program first and then checking on the specific requirements. If there's further inquiries, you can contact them.

 

I'll do that, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Temi & Obim said:

Thank you but I'm curious when do I get to qualify like in how many years?

Some aid becomes available once you get a green card. Federal aid can become available after 5 years of having a green card.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Some aid becomes available once you get a green card. Federal aid can become available after 5 years of having a green card.

Okay, thank you. My current undergrad and grad degrees doesn't require certification (mass communication and business administration) do you think I can be able to get job in that field after converting them and I have EAD?? because honestly I don't want to go back to school yet but this idleness is much and now we have to pay out of pocket. Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Temi & Obim said:

Okay, thank you. My current undergrad and grad degrees doesn't require certification (mass communication and business administration) do you think I can be able to get job in that field after converting them and I have EAD?? because honestly I don't want to go back to school yet but this idleness is much and now we have to pay out of pocket. Thanks  

I’m not familiar enough with jobs in those fields to know how it would be viewed, sorry (if they were IT related I could tell you!). I wouldn’t think where they were obtained would be a big issue, but I will defer to others in those fields.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I’m not familiar enough with jobs in those fields to know how it would be viewed, sorry (if they were IT related I could tell you!). I wouldn’t think where they were obtained would be a big issue, but I will defer to others in those fields.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Temi & Obim said:

Okay, thank you. My current undergrad and grad degrees doesn't require certification (mass communication and business administration) do you think I can be able to get job in that field after converting them and I have EAD?? because honestly I don't want to go back to school yet but this idleness is much and now we have to pay out of pocket. Thanks  

Business school dean here.  I would suggest that if you are fluent in English and have some work experience, that you use the time while waiting for your work authorization to look for jobs in business or communications.  Do research on jobs and qualifications in your area.  Degrees from universities abroad are less important than work experience.  Doing another graduate degree in the US would be expensive and the return on investment is not worth it unless you want to change to a different career path.  Talk to some employers, interview for jobs you are interested in and qualified for, and tell them that your EAD is coming in the next few months.  Ask them if another graduate degree would strengthen your resume.   Without knowing more about your background, work experience, and jobs you are interested in, it is impossible to tell you if you can get a job or not.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify my above statement - certain federal aid is possible. It looks like pell grants are possible as one such example. But be sure to verify eligibility with the specific program (not just that LPRs are allowed, due to the federal bar on most funds within the first 5 years).


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Business school dean here.  I would suggest that if you are fluent in English and have some work experience, that you use the time while waiting for your work authorization to look for jobs in business or communications.  Do research on jobs and qualifications in your area.  Degrees from universities abroad are less important than work experience.  Doing another graduate degree in the US would be expensive and the return on investment is not worth it unless you want to change to a different career path.  Talk to some employers, interview for jobs you are interested in and qualified for, and tell them that your EAD is coming in the next few months.  Ask them if another graduate degree would strengthen your resume.   Without knowing more about your background, work experience, and jobs you are interested in, it is impossible to tell you if you can get a job or not.  Good luck!

Thanks so much for this, I was working with a newspaper before I left (2015-2019)  and I'm also a photographer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

To clarify my above statement - certain federal aid is possible. It looks like pell grants are possible as one such example. But be sure to verify eligibility with the specific program (not just that LPRs are allowed, due to the federal bar on most funds within the first 5 years).

Okay, thank you. I guess the best is to wait till I have my GC to know my chances and if I don't want to pay out of pocket 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...