Temi & Obim

Financial aid and grad school

36 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, databit said:

Also check residency requirements for your school. Many require 1 year in the state to get resident tuition rates.

Yes, this too. Although this is something to discuss with the specific institution...some are more willing to offer resident rates than others. State schools are often bound by law or policy, private institutions have more flexibility here.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 minutes ago, databit said:

Also check residency requirements for your school. Many require 1 year in the state to get resident tuition rates.

Thank you, does this include even if I'm going to do it online?

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes, this too. Although this is something to discuss with the specific institution...some are more willing to offer resident rates than others. State schools are often bound by law or policy, private institutions have more flexibility here.

Thank you, does this include even if I'm going to do it online?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Temi & Obim said:

Thanks so much for this, I was working with a newspaper before I left (2015-2019)  and I'm also a photographer 

The newspaper industry in the US has been decimated by the rise in online advertising and easy access to thousands of news sources via the internet, so you may have to get creative and re-position yourself for online jobs, website development, and related businesses.  Photography has also changed because of technology and customers have more options these days.  Focus on highlighting your skills on your resume and see what jobs in your area might be a good fit for you and your work experience.  Make some decisions about your career goals first and then the question of whether or not additional education would help you get there will be easier for you to answer.  Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Few helpful tips, you can use WES to convert your degree to american standard and you can request it to be create as for employment verification.  then use your result to create resume and explore job opportunities. Your particular degree is transferable, you might consider starting from entry level to get some american work experience but that's only for few years.  But am not saying you shouldn't go for master degree ooo, but at least some work experience and master degree goes long way to progress your career here in USA.  sometime the school will look at your work experience in USA to waive for GMAT or GRE.  As for financial aid, there are NO grant for master program, but you can get student loan once you have your green card, that why am recommending working with your degree from abroad converted by WES to get funds to pay for master. So for now ill say get your degree convert with WES, create your professional resume (pay professional if you can), create your linked in and if you get a job offfer now, you can also request to expedite your EAD.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Temi & Obim said:

Okay, thank you. My current undergrad and grad degrees doesn't require certification (mass communication and business administration) do you think I can be able to get job in that field after converting them and I have EAD?? because honestly I don't want to go back to school yet but this idleness is much and now we have to pay out of pocket. Thanks  

I don't know anything about mass communications, but business administration is pretty broad. While I don't know what the job market is like in Louisville, I think you should be able to get some type of office job there. 

My wife considered going to grad school when she moved here since she had a "useless" degree (her words, not mine!) from her home country, but quickly got an office temp job after getting her EAD 4 years ago, and has been employed pretty much ever since. Initially, she was really focused on getting a job (of any kind really), and until about 18 months ago, spent most of her free time applying to jobs (even though she was employed, she was always looking for something "better").  

I guess my point is grad school might not be worth the cost & expense. Just my unsolicited two cents. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
46 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

The newspaper industry in the US has been decimated by the rise in online advertising and easy access to thousands of news sources via the internet, so you may have to get creative and re-position yourself for online jobs, website development, and related businesses.  Photography has also changed because of technology and customers have more options these days.  Focus on highlighting your skills on your resume and see what jobs in your area might be a good fit for you and your work experience.  Make some decisions about your career goals first and then the question of whether or not additional education would help you get there will be easier for you to answer.  Good luck!

Thank you, that is what I have been doing including watching Youtube (half Youtube and half Netflix lol)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

The degree conversion might really depend on where you want to work. In my experience, private companies do not require it, and they rely more on experience. For public jobs, they WILL ask for it. I used http://www.iescaree.com/services.php for mine, as I work in the public education area.

I also am in grad school, in a state university. Don't go back to school just because you're bored! lol like others have said, it will be a huge investment of time and money, and you may be able to get a job just fine with your foreign degree and experience. My suggestion is that you find a place to volunteer (that's what I did, while my EAD was pending) or even find some classes at your local community college. In my case, I did not qualify for any grants because of my husband's income, which is way less that 100k. They only offered me loans, which suuuucked.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Omoge Afo said:

Few helpful tips, you can use WES to convert your degree to american standard and you can request it to be create as for employment verification.  then use your result to create resume and explore job opportunities. Your particular degree is transferable, you might consider starting from entry level to get some american work experience but that's only for few years.  But am not saying you shouldn't go for master degree ooo, but at least some work experience and master degree goes long way to progress your career here in USA.  sometime the school will look at your work experience in USA to waive for GMAT or GRE.  As for financial aid, there are NO grant for master program, but you can get student loan once you have your green card, that why am recommending working with your degree from abroad converted by WES to get funds to pay for master. So for now ill say get your degree convert with WES, create your professional resume (pay professional if you can), create your linked in and if you get a job offfer now, you can also request to expedite your EAD.  

Thank you, I'm currently doing WES for employment purpose, that is what I chose in the selection and once that process is done then I can start looking for job. There are many entry job around my area like Amazon fulfillment with decent pay and no major interview required but I don't have my EAD yet. And based on past posts from others I don't think I qualify to expedite my EAD due to how much my wife is making and no financial hardship. And we started think of going grad school again because boredom and getting a professional job here. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

I don't know anything about mass communications, but business administration is pretty broad. While I don't know what the job market is like in Louisville, I think you should be able to get some type of office job there. 

My wife considered going to grad school when she moved here since she had a "useless" degree (her words, not mine!) from her home country, but quickly got an office temp job after getting her EAD 4 years ago, and has been employed pretty much ever since. Initially, she was really focused on getting a job (of any kind really), and until about 18 months ago, spent most of her free time applying to jobs (even though she was employed, she was always looking for something "better").  

I guess my point is grad school might not be worth the cost & expense. Just my unsolicited two cents. 

Thank you, based on advice I'm getting you might be right about not going back to school at least for few years. After I finish converting my degrees I'll start applying. Thank you for this, I'm beginning to feel better about my chances with my degrees. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Another way to kill the boredom can be going into the community colleges around you and take certification classes, that will also help your career. Certification are inexpensive and get you to start getting use to American education and lecture structure.  Based on your degree you might consider doing data analytics certification or project manager. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, tamaara said:

The degree conversion might really depend on where you want to work. In my experience, private companies do not require it, and they rely more on experience. For public jobs, they WILL ask for it. I used http://www.iescaree.com/services.php for mine, as I work in the public education area.

I also am in grad school, in a state university. Don't go back to school just because you're bored! lol like others have said, it will be a huge investment of time and money, and you may be able to get a job just fine with your foreign degree and experience. My suggestion is that you find a place to volunteer (that's what I did, while my EAD was pending) or even find some classes at your local community college. In my case, I did not qualify for any grants because of my husband's income, which is way less that 100k. They only offered me loans, which suuuucked.

I'm looking into going places for me to volunteer but the problem is, there no public transport where we are because we stay in small city and she needs car to get to work even to get uber around sometime is hard. I guess I'll continue my Netflix till I have EAD lol

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Omoge Afo said:

Another way to kill the boredom can be going into the community colleges around you and take certification classes, that will also help your career. Certification are inexpensive and get you to start getting use to American education and lecture structure.  Based on your degree you might consider doing data analytics certification or project manager. 

I'm going to try this out. Thank you so much. 

With your current household income, you will not qualify for any need-based federal financial aid.  You may qualify for subsidized loans, but not grants.

15 hours ago, Temi & Obim said:

I have some questions about grad school, tried to Google for answers but got more confusing. We have sent my AOS, AP EAD in and biometric appointment is next week.

We understand it will take months before we get anything. So we are considering me going back to school for another masters degree 🤯😬I have been made to understand that my international degree doesn't count in the US because my wife did her undergrad in Nigeria too and she had to do it all over again when she got here and also I'm getting really bored staying idle 

1. Do I need to have my green card before I can go back to school or my SS is enough?

2. Currently using WES to convert my degrees from Nigeria, do I still need to take Tofel and Gmat?

3. Do I qualify to get financial aid or I don't because of the I-864 and my wife current income which is over 100k and I'm the only dependent.

Thank you 

Based from my experience

1. No. You dont need your green card to apply admissions. I would recommend to talk to an advisor though so you can ask for waivers to get the "in-state" tuition. This varies per school. As for the university where I enrolled, I was able to apply for in-state tuition after complying certain requirements( 2 proofs that my husband is living/has properties within the state for at least one year). 

2. Depends. It varies per school but you can try to ask for a waiver. If you meet the requirements, then it can be waived. As for me, I got this waived. After course-by-course evaluation, my GPA is 3.84. The university where I enrolled only required 3.0 GPA to satisfy GRE/GMAT waiver requirement. Additionally, my TOEFL requirement got waived. The remarks on my admission list stated that it was waived based on GPA and Admission Application Letter.

3. If you are talking about FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) then NO. It is for Citizens and Residents only. I enrolled for my Masters while pending AOS and I once checked this one out. NOPE.

HOWEVER, Scholarships will be available. Contact your Financial Aid department or check the website. See all available Scholarships and apply for whichever is applicable. Actually, one semester, I was granted $1500 scholarship. It was from 3 different scholarships that I had applied each granting $500 each. 

P.S. I did Masters in Business Administration 

Edited by SB5130

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.