lucybelle

Helping a friend with student visa

44 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, lucybelle said:

Extended family will not pay, it will just be for show. Which is why I said it wouldn't work.

You were right...and it looks more suspicious than anything helpful.

The sponsor path looks better than the "quick deposit" path, especially if it was deceitful in that why weren't actually intending to sponsor anything.

She has reapplied and has a new sponsor. That's a good start.

The remaining risk is that she was denied under immigrant intent, and it sounds like she has ties to family members in the US that will need to be overcome.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The previous shenanigans will be on her file.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Can they get a student loan? I took my student loan letter from India to the interview though they never asked me about finances in the interview. 

1. Spoiler

1. Package sent to USCIS : 06/09/2019 
    2. Package received by USCIS : 06/13/2019
    3. NOA date from USCIS: 06/18/2019
    4. Text/Email notices sent : 06/20/2019
    5. Physical Notices mailed : 06/19/2019
    6. FingerPrint notice sent : 06/25/2019
    7. FingerPrint notice scheduled : 07/11/2019
    8. FingerPrint Walk-in:  07/02/2019
    9. FingerPrint Review Completed:  07/02/2019 and 07/04/2019. For some reason, it's listed twice. 
    10. RFE 1: 08/19/2019: RFE email notification. 08/23/2019: Physical mail received.
    11. RFE Response received by USCIS:  08/26/2019
    12. NOA date from USCIS for RFE receipt: 08/28/2019
    13. Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 09/05/2019
    14. Interview was scheduled: Email on 09/12/2019 
    15. EAD expedite requested: 09/24/2019
    16. Status change to Expedite Request Received: 09/26/2019 ( Made a request as I had to accept a job offer ASAP!)
    17. Case History Updates: 09/27/2019
      1. On September 27, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXX, was assigned to an officer for response.
      2. On September 27, 2019, we sent a response to your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXX
      3. On September 27, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXX, was completed.
    18. Faxed evidence for EAD expedite: 10/07/2019
    19. AP/EAD Text/Email approval : 10/18/2019 ( Don't think it's because of the expedite)
    20. AP/EAD Physical cards mailed : 10/22/2019
    21. Interview Date: 10/22/2019
    22. I-485 approved : 10/22/2019
    23. GC card mailed : 10/28/2019

ROC

1. I-751 sent to USCIS: 08/25/2021
  2. Package received by USCIS : 08/30/2021
  3. Received package back from USCIS due to form processing error: 09/07/2021
  4. Mailed new application to USCIS: 09/07/2021
  5. Package received by USCIS : 09/09/2021
  6. Received text for receipt#: 09/11/2021 (Dated 09/10/2021)
  7. Check cashed: 09/14/2021
  8. Received letter about Biometrics waiver: 10/25/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, lucybelle said:

I told her to get a letter from the cousin sponsor to say why she planned on sponsoring, any though as to what it should have?

Draft:

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxx. I am writing this letter as a sign of intent to sponsor my cousin, xxxx, during her education at xxxxx university. She has explained to me her desire to be on the athletic team and I believe her training will be superior at xxxx university. She has obtained a large athletic scholarship and informed me there is a small portion left over of a sum of $5000 per year. I am happy to help her with this amount while she is studying at xxxx university.

thank you for your time, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

name

phone number

addresss

The issue here is that the cousin might have been one of the reasons why they denied it on the basis of immigrant intent. A relative in the US willing to help them financially means that she might get that support even if she chose to stay and not return to her home country. It's an assumption that is very difficult to overcome, especially when you are 18 years old with no strong ties to your country. I don't see how the letter from the cousin will help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

One thing that usually makes those cases easier is when the scholarship to study abroad is granted by the applicant's local government. That does not reduce the risk of a student breaking the rules of their visa but they normally need to sign several documents that list penalties if they don't return home. At the end of the day, the only question that matters is: does this applicant have higher chances of staying in the US or returning home? The evidence and the information she provides need to make a case for the latter, and with limited financial resources, few ties to her home country and a cousin in the US, it will be hard to convince the CO of her intentions to return.

1 hour ago, Nat&Amy said:

The issue here is that the cousin might have been one of the reasons why they denied it on the basis of immigrant intent. A relative in the US willing to help them financially means that she might get that support even if she chose to stay and not return to her home country. It's an assumption that is very difficult to overcome, especially when you are 18 years old with no strong ties to your country. I don't see how the letter from the cousin will help.

Yes I was worried when I heard about the cousin. Unfortunately it's already done and we can't take back that they know about her.

52 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

One thing that usually makes those cases easier is when the scholarship to study abroad is granted by the applicant's local government. That does not reduce the risk of a student breaking the rules of their visa but they normally need to sign several documents that list penalties if they don't return home. At the end of the day, the only question that matters is: does this applicant have higher chances of staying in the US or returning home? The evidence and the information she provides need to make a case for the latter, and with limited financial resources, few ties to her home country and a cousin in the US, it will be hard to convince the CO of her intentions to return.

Perhaps she could apply for a loan from Ecuador? Even a small $1000 loan?

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Timeline

I know this is third hand but obviously study abroad never mind the US is not cheap.

Presumably she has worked out how much all this is going to cost including living and travel costs and how she is going to cover this, sounds like a spreadsheet situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I also just found out she (and her family) has been granted a US tourist visa in the past. I told her to bring evidence that she has been to the US before and has retuned on time back to her home country. Would it be important to show that her family has also gone to the US and returned? Or is that not as important?

Full timeline- 

April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)

Timeline

Her prior trip would have been declared as part of her application.

Getting an international athletic scholarship is very difficult. She must be very talented (What's she doing? basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis or gymnastics?) After visa denial, has she contacted her team, athletic department and/or international student office of the university? They should take care of her.

44 minutes ago, t-ten said:

Getting an international athletic scholarship is very difficult. She must be very talented (What's she doing? basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis or gymnastics?) After visa denial, has she contacted her team, athletic department and/or international student office of the university? They should take care of her.

She's swimming. She wants to train in the USA to try to make the Olympic team. She is quite good for her country. She contacted the university and they were basically like "there's nothing we can do" Which is true. I mean they can't force the US government to give out visas.

Full timeline- 

3 hours ago, lucybelle said:

She's swimming. She wants to train in the USA to try to make the Olympic team. She is quite good for her country. She contacted the university and they were basically like "there's nothing we can do" Which is true. I mean they can't force the US government to give out visas.

Hope she can make it work out. Some years back a bunch of guys from my home country got swimming scholarships to the University of Arizona and broke the Olympic & world records when they won their gold (4x100 relay).  For an athlete from a developing country with limited resources, the US holds brilliant opportunities to excel at sport.

Edited by SusieQQQ

22 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hope she can make it work out. Some years back a bunch of guys from my home country got swimming scholarships to the University of Arizona and broke the Olympic & world records when they won their gold (4x100 relay).  For an athlete from a developing country with limited resources, the US holds brilliant opportunities to excel at sport.

Thanks so mUch for this comment! I decided to have her focus on the athletic portion of "why" she wants to go to a university in the USA. I told her to get all her medals she has won, any newspaper clipping, articles that mention her and bring them. I told her make sure the CO doing the interview understands that the scholarship she received is athletic based. I told her to say she wants to continue training in the USA with hopes to make the Olympic team and represent Ecuador in 2020.

Shes been given a tourist visa. She's been to the USA and back. They have trusted her before. She needs to prove why she needs to study outside of the USA, and this is why. Hopefully this (plus all the other stuff I told her to get together) will be what she needs!

Full timeline- 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.